What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kudos to Garmin and Walt Aronow

chrispratt

Well Known Member
Perhaps this information will be of help to someone operating a Garmin GTX345.

I was an early adopter on the ADS-B requirement and had one installed about 2.5 years ago -- A Garmin GTX345 ADS-B Out/In with built in encoder. I passed the rebate test on the first try and was pretty pleased. So I didn't really pay much attention to the unit performance again until recently.

For about the past six months, I have requested a PAPR report after every flight. A few flights showed failures for some in-air items that were related to doing aerobatics and have become known issues for EAB aircraft.

But on every flight I received an Air-On-Ground failure. I became worried that this would be an issue once the January 1, 2020 deadline arrived and so began searching for a solution.

I worked with Walt Aronow at 52F since he installed my unit, and I reached out to the Garmin guys, specifically the G3Xpert who monitors this website.

After some back and forth try this, try that we finally got to "What version of the software do you have?" Well since my unit was installed two and half years ago it had an early version V2.05. G3Xpert suggested upgrading to the newest version V2.53. Walt installed this on Saturday. Afterwards I went for a flight, requested a PAPR and voila -- no error flags. I flew twice Sunday, requested PAPRs on each flight and again -- no error flags.

I'm going to keep checking for a while and report any errors to Garmin, but I think Garmin has made improvements to the software logic that have fixed an annoying issue.

If you have an early software version you might consider an update and then check your PAPR.

Thanks to G3Xpert and Garmin -- I think this service is very smart customer relations. And thanks to Walt for the update.

Happy flying!

Chris

BTW: The PAPRs I have requested recently usually show up in my email within about 5-15 minutes of the request. Good service. Thanks.

Back