What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing tip position lights extension kit

JackW794

Van's had fiberglass wing tip nav light extensions at one time in their accessory catalog, but they don't seem to have them anymore. I want to mount Whelen nav/strobes to each wing tip so I will not need a rear strobe light. The mounting base for the lights are about 1-3/4" x 5".

I don't want to fabricate my own extensions to the wing tip. Does anyone know where I could find these fiberglass extensions? Does anyone make these anymore?

The old accessory catalog had this part no.: LN W/TIP MOUNT PAIR.

XXX

Also wondering the same question. Does anyone know of a manufacturer of these "blister" fairings for the old style wing tips? This is on an older RV-6 that got a wing tip crunched by a car on the ground and the existing tips were modified with these to allow a white position light on each wing tip instead of a tail light.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several threads on this topic. Someone just recently gave away a pair. I've been trying to find these for a couple of years, -no luck. I'll just make myself some. Since I have no plug and mold experience, it'll probably be a 1-off wet layup over foam with lots of shaping and sanding and filling.

Van's had fiberglass wing tip nav light extensions at one time in their accessory catalog, but they don't seem to have them anymore. I want to mount Whelen nav/strobes to each wing tip so I will not need a rear strobe light. The mounting base for the lights are about 1-3/4" x 5".

I don't want to fabricate my own extensions to the wing tip. Does anyone know where I could find these fiberglass extensions? Does anyone make these anymore?

The old accessory catalog had this part no.: LN W/TIP MOUNT PAIR.

So you have the original style Horner wing tip or the more symmetrical. On my RV-4 I did not use an extension on the horner. It mounted direct to the wing tip. I admit that the projection of the strobe and NAV light to the horizon may have been off a tad... but it was common practice in the day. It looked clean. To make this part is super easy... but understand you don't want to do glass.... but it's fun and a great skill to learn.

Back