What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DAR's - Does Adding Wheel pants require phase one?

Ralph Ketter

Patron
I am listing an airplane for the family of a deceased friend. As far as I can determine he never installed the wheel pants before or after completing phase one. The current and original W&B notes that is is without wheel pants. I am wondering so I know what to tell prospective buyers.

The W&B would need to be updated of course but I am wondering if installing the wheel pants is considered a major modification requiring another hour or two of phase one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding wheel pants should not be considered a major change.
The change will affect speeds somewhat but not enough to justify a new Phase I.
Revise W&B.

Like certified planes there are minor and major alterations (or repairs).

1. Does this action have significant effect on the following:
a. Weight and Balance? X
b. Structural Integrity? X
c. Performance? X
d. Powerplant Operation? X
e. Flight Characteristics? X
2. Will this action have any other effect on Safety of Flight? X
3. Must this action be accomplished by methods other than elementary operations? X
4. Will this action have a major effect on the product`s airworthiness? X
5. Will replaced parts/materials compromise the requirements of FAR 43.13(b)? X
6. Will this action come under the classification of "Major" in FAR Part 43 Appendix A?

FAR Part 43 Appendix A
(1)Airframe major alterations. Alterations of the following parts and alterations of the following types, when not listed in the aircraft specifications issued by the FAA, are airframe major alterations:
(i) Wings.
(ii) Tail surfaces.
(iii) Fuselage.
(iv) Engine mounts.
(v) Control system.
(vi) Landing gear.
(vii) Hull or floats.
(viii) Elements of an airframe including spars, ribs, fittings, shock absorbers, bracing, cowling, fairings, and balance weights.
(ix) Hydraulic and electrical actuating system of components.
(x) Rotor blades.
(xi) Changes to the empty weight or empty balance which result in an increase in the maximum certificated weight or center of gravity limits of the aircraft.
(xii) Changes to the basic design of the fuel, oil, cooling, heating, cabin pressurization, electrical, hydraulic, de-icing, or exhaust systems.
(xiii) Changes to the wing or to fixed or movable control surfaces which affect flutter and vibration characteristics.

Yes to any of those it is major. No argument, Mel is the man.
Measure your before and after (minor) performance change and let us know if you get a chance.
What kind of wheel pants? Enjoy the free speed.

Last edited:
Back