What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

W-917 Assembly

Surfdoc

Wondering if anyone else had the following problem. I am on to assemble the W-917 pushrod. I can not for the life of me get the threaded end into the tube. Not even close to being able to bang it in. Any suggestions?

Yep....

I fitted these recently & had the same pain. I sanded the inside of the end of the tube a bit then inserted the threaded end by hand as best I could. Then I put a sacrificial nut on the end with a stack of washers underneath so I didn?t damage the thread, and used a mallet to drive it in. I?m very certain it won?t come out.

Another way

They're a tight fit. I didn't like the idea of banging on the pushrod insert. So I bought a pair of threaded rods and angle irons. Drilled 3 holes in the angles, the middle for the pushrod and the others for the hardware store threaded rods. I then used nuts and washers on the hardware store rods to apply pressure to the pushrod insert, similar to an arbor press I suppose, while a heat gun was applied to the tube.

You can also put a deep socket over the rod end, and bang on that. then the load is in the shoulder, rather than risking damage to the threads.

Many Thanks for the guidance, they went together with out a glitch. Now on to W-918, aileron to bellcrank. Already snapped a rivet with the squeezer and now trying to back-rivet using the C-frame. Not pretty. Any suggestions from those who came before? Seems like the rivet is one size too big?

Back