What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Am I capable of building an RV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earl Findlay

I really have the itch to have an RV.. and not just have, but BUILD one. My issue is, I am not at all a "builder." Heck, I can't even build a table and chairs from Ikea, so I wonder how the heck am I going to build an airplane?!

How common is it for a builder to start with what essentially amounts to zero building ability?

Is starting with no building ability more of a challenger than one should undertake?

Lastly, does starting with zero building ability guarantee frustration?

Basically, I want to build, but I feel foolish undertaking such a major project with my complete lack of skills. Talk me off of the ledge. :eek:

Builder skills

I'm in the encouragement camp because I feel anyone can do anything they put their mind to do. That said, it's easy to find out. Find a mentor by attending a local EAA Chapter meeting. Buy the Vans Practice kits and together, build them. Then drill them apart and put them together again. You'll knowvery quickly and for very little investment, if building a plane is something you want to do.

You will go through just about every possible human emotion building an airplane. Will you be frustrated? Yes. But it will be worth it. Next question...

Its certainly helpful knowing how to use basic tools and being able to accurately measure things. But it's really not that hard.

Buy the Van's practice kit. You will most likely destroy it and it will look awful. Then build another one. Maybe even a 3rd. If by then you feel like you got it, then go ahead and build. It's really not that hard.

Although the tail kit and tools are expensive, in the grand scheme of things they are relatively cheap. So worst case scenario you will be out a couple thousand dollars. That's no small amount of money, but if you really want to build your own plane then I feel it's an acceptable risk.

There is a big support network and Van's instructions and very clear. To the point that it's almost litterally step by step. A little motivation goes a long way.

I say go for it!

None of us came out of the womb knowing how to build an airplane. The question isn't if you can build an airplane. It's can you learn how to build an airplane.

I'm willing to guess that there are things that you know how to do that at one time, you didn't know how to do. This is no different.

Like others have said, get the practice kits, attend a build class. If you really want to do this, then you will.

Cheers! :)

Definitely

You'll need plenty of persistence to get through the build - the technical skills you'll be able to learn along the way.

Youtube, and the EAA training videos will become your best friends.

I started building almost a year ago, and a year ago I didn't know how to rivet, how to spray paint, or even how to put fibreglass together, but I've learned how to do all of that, and the end result is so rewarding.

The other thing that really helps is the support and encouragement from others - builders, spouses, friends. My wife reminds me with words like "you'll appreciate the plane so much more" whenever I talk about how I stuffed something up and had to go back and re-work it to get it right, or if I mention how tedious it all seems.

Completing an RV is a Masters Degree in PROBLEM RESOLUTION. U will run into one problem after another. U will get frustrated over & over. And u will feel immense satisfaction conquering the problems and frustration that u encounter along the way. O - and when u fly it - no other feeling in the world. Giddy with joy.

Yes, to answer your question, you can build a Van’s Aircraft. The newer models are really a lot easier to build than the older ones. Van’s has really changed the game with continual improvements to the both the aircraft and the build process. Add to that the thousands of builders all over the country/world that you can rely on for help and guidance.

Ok, so how do I Know? I had never built anything either. Well there was one bookcase, but I had to prop it up on the sides so it wouldn’t fall over side ways.

Notice I said a Van’s aircraft. Other manufactures may not be up to that level. (Dodging flames here).

Now, do I wait for the RV-14 equivalent of an RV-9 or just go back to the 9?

You can do this, you may end actually missing building more than flying!

Bob

Last edited:
First off, you're already on the right track when you say you want to build, and not just own. I always encourage people who just want to own an RV to go buy on. For one thing, it's not really any cheaper to build, but more importantly, building will be a trying process if you can't find a way to enjoy all the minutae.

The perspective I've long taken towards my build is that I don't really think of it as a project that will have a defined end. Academically, I realize that one day there won't be anything left to do except go fly the thing, but pragmatically, I just think of it as another thing I do in my spare time. I don't expect to ever stop doing it, in the same way that I don't expect that if I mow the grass enough times it'll stop growing.

This may sound depressing, but it's quite the opposite. A weeknight work session, instead of being "well I'm 0.05% closer to flying," is "I did A, B, and C small tasks." It lends a sense of achievement that can get lost if you keep eyeballing the big prize at the end.

The best part is, this attitude fits well with learning to build. Instead of thinking of it as building an airplane, think of it as learning and continually refining a new set of skills. Every work session is a new challenge, a new way to apply the skills you've learned and maybe learn a few more.

As others have said, see if you can hook up with a local EAA chapter and find someone who's building and is willing to let you come look over their shoulder. Just seeing the process and getting a little hands-on can do wonders to take away some of the mystery.

Hi Earl. In my opinion, the skills are relatively easy to learn if you are willing to invest the money, and especially the time, to do so. Definitely not IKEA easy but learnable for most people. What is harder to define and predict is whether an individual has the mentality or judgement necessary to build a safe plane. Do you have the perseverance to see things through and the willingness to start over on the parts that you do mess up? When you don?t know what to do will you stop, research, and learn or will you just press forward because you just want to finish? What?s your history with those kinds of challenges? Lots of questions that probably only you can answer.
If you are ever over in Ellensburg give me a shout and can meet up.
Good luck.

I think you may have more enjoyment from owning a flying machine and doing some maintenance. Small bites but big learning and you get to fly. You may get to place where you definitely know you can build one.

One consideration should be your physical capability. Lots of standing and contortions as you build. When it comes to finishing, wiring, plumbing, there is a lot of crawling around inside the plane and under the engine on the floor. I’m only 56 but it is an issue at times. Crawling under the panel just plain stinks.

I was in your shoes 4 years ago. I knew ZERO about any of this build process. But I have learned SO MUCH and have thoroughly enjoyed the process. As others have said, you will experience a roller coaster of emotions. And just when you think it is impossible to find a solution to a certain task, the answer will come to you at 3am in your sleep. I have a hard time turning off my brain because I?m always thinking about whats next on the list.

The skills are easy to learn. Its more about your attitude and appetite for learning. ?Perfection is the enemy of completion? they say...my goal always was trying my best for ?perfection? on each task, but rarely did that ever happen. If the question ?is it safe?? ever enters my mind, I just replace the part and call it a learning experience.

As I wrap up my wiring now, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. In my 50 years, I dont think I have ever learned more, or enjoyed the satisfaction I feel right now.

Go for it. You will NOT regret it.

Maybe...

Not all people are wired to fly and not all people are wired to build.
The only way to find out is to try...

A simple test to see if you can do it.

You can do it if you can assemble anything from Ikea since the newer models from Van are actually assembled and not built like the legacy models.:)
And $$$$$$$, your going to need lots of that and I guarantee a lot more than you figure at the start. :eek: It will be one of the most rewarding projects you ever do.

I really have the itch to have an RV.. and not just have, but BUILD one. My issue is, I am not at all a "builder." Heck, I can't even build a table and chairs from Ikea, so I wonder how the heck am I going to build an airplane?!

How common is it for a builder to start with what essentially amounts to zero building ability?

Quite, I would imagine.

Is starting with no building ability more of a challenger than one should undertake?

Ability at the start is not important.....

Building with lots of building ability guarantees frustration.

Basically, I want to build, but I feel foolish undertaking such a major project with my complete lack of skills. Talk me off of the ledge. :eek:

In my opinion, it's not the skills you start with that is the metric to decide whether or not to build. Skills and knowledge can be obtained.

What counts is life situation, level of perseverance, acceptance of the requirement to study and learn and try and fail and keep on going, whether or not you have a reasonable shop area in which to do the build.

And lastly, whether or not that is how you desire to spend your finite time on the planet.

I believe it is not the technical knowledge and ability that is required but primarily the patience that is required and then desire to learn and not be afraid to ask questions or even help. I believe even my dad can build one.

I believe in the old adage, ?know thyself?. You should make a realistic appraisal of your desire to build and finish what is a very long and arduous process. It normally takes years. And there are many frustrating things that arise, testing your perseverance. It?s not your preset skill level that matters, but willingness to learn and keep pushing forward. It should be known that such a project tends to be all-consuming of your free time, and then some. If you have a diversity of interests that you want to keep going, you probably will have to let go of those. And of course there is your work, financial and domestic situation. All those make demands too. Building is not cheap, and the costs tend to overrun significantly. Will your wife support this or oppose it? You might talk it over before initiating such a commitment. Certainly you should enjoy building, it shouldn?t be just a series of chores. Ultimately, an honest appraisal of yourself should answer your question.

I am very impressed with the previous comments on this thread. Take them to heart, Earl. They say there are two kinds of people: Those that like to build and those that like to fly. Decide which one you are before jumping in.

Buy the Van's practice kit. You will most likely destroy it and it will look awful. Then build another one. Maybe even a 3rd. If by then you feel like you got it, then go ahead and build. It's really not that hard.

Although the tail kit and tools are expensive, in the grand scheme of things they are relatively cheap. So worst case scenario you will be out a couple thousand dollars. That's no small amount of money, but if you really want to build your own plane then I feel it's an acceptable risk.

If you really have the itch to build, I agree with Robin8er. Buy the tools, practice kit(s), and the tail. Try to find someone who's done it before to help you along; but if you can't don't panic, I didn't really have any help until towards the end. If you run into problems or have questions on how to do something ask here, you'll almost always have an answer within an hour. Van's support is great too if you have a question about fixing a mistake, which there will be a few.

This will likely be ~$4k+ so not insignificant, but a drop in the bucket of the overall project. If you concentrate on good workmanship and decide it's not for you sell it. There is a market for both the tools and a started tailkit; you could get out for <$1k loss. Worst case, if your quality is truly lacking you may have to eat the whole tailkit, but you'll still be able to sell the tools and have the experience and the knowledge you at least chased your dream.

This is a common question on VansAirforce. And many of the responses are typically familiar....over exuberant encouragement to just ?get started and get on with it.? On VansAirforce there are many pied pipers eager to lead the rats to drown.

But be warned that some of the most enthusiastic encouragement often comes from builders who have not yet completed a project (and may never complete a project). In reality no-one here can tell you if you can finish an RV project...there?s just too many variables, including but not limited to, financial capacity, time available, reasonable building space available, support of spouse and family, availability of build assistance, type of model, QB or Slowbuild, mechanical common sense, etc etc etc.

It has been estimated that only about one-third of RV builders who start with an empennage go on to complete a project. The majority of RV projects get sold before completion, some a number of times...always at a financial loss, and sometimes at a very large financial loss. As a general rule the further the project is down the track the greater the loss will be.

But beyond all of the considerations above, the prime ingredients for success in building a safe project are patience, perseverance and the capacity to study and learn. If you tend to be a day-dreamer who gets very quickly excited about doing things but loses interest just as rapidly then believe me....building an RV is not for you.

If you genuinely feel keen to build then the best advice on this thread so far comes from those who recommend you dip your toe in the water at the least expense by buying a practice kit and a few tools.

Last edited:
It is a lot of work! :) You'd better love problem solving, be a self motivator, and *never* give up. It's like having a second job. If you are married, make sure your wife is totally on board. It's faster and cheaper to buy a flying RV, and if you love maintaining it, then consider building one. Did I say it's a lot of work? Rewarding but a lot of work...

If you are motivated to build, then yes, I believe anyone can build an RV.
Make sure you have the time to dedicate to the task. Daily interaction with the kit is essential and will keep you progressing towards the finish line.
Make sure you have the financial resources to dedicate. If you are on the fence about spending a couple of grand on the tools, then forget it. Getting tools purchased is just the beginning of the money drain. Can you afford right now to buy all of the kits, engine, prop, avionics? If not, when?
Make sure you have reasonable expectations of the challenges you will face. VAF is a terrific resource that you can always leverage to get help, opinions, and sometimes motivation to pursue the building of your RV. I know that I would never have built my own airplane without the help of the interwebs. Definitely take a workshop class to get an idea of the skills involved. These skills are all learnable, and if you can, find a mentor to help get this project started.

Lastly, figure out exactly what your mission will be and stick to it. Don't change your mind on anything and you will be better off in the build process when you are faced with more than one way to proceed. Really nail down what you want in the airplane. Start at the spinner and work your way back to the tail. Metal spinner or fiberglass or carbon fiber? Fixed prop or adjustable or constant speed. Size of engine? Injection or carb? Electronic ignition or mags? Glass panel or steam? Interior choices, etc. If you don't stick to the initial plan, then you will waste a LOT of time at each decision point trying to decide what should have already been decided to keep the project going.

When you have completed the airplane and get it flying, the feeling of accomplishment is overwhelming. It is truly life-changing.

Thank you for the encouragement!
I went for an RV-14 ride, and boy did I get bit hard!! So hard that I signed on the dotted line at Oshkosh and ordered myself a empennage/tailcone kit. Time for me to get my workshop setup! :cool:

It is a lot of work! :) You'd better love problem solving, be a self motivator, and *never* give up. It's like having a second job. If you are married, make sure your wife is totally on board. It's faster and cheaper to buy a flying RV, and if you love maintaining it, then consider building one. Did I say it's a lot of work? Rewarding but a lot of work...

You are allowed to maintain any experimental aircraft even if you did not build it.

Lots of plots probably asked the same question about whether they could ever learn to fly. Learning to fly, as in getting to first solo, is fairly straightforward. Having the perseverance to actually get the license and then add ratings, etc. is another thing.

Even the most inept with tools can learn the skills to drive a rivet but driving 10,000 plus of them tests the patience and determination of most.

I?d wager that every builder out there harbored doubts at one time or another if the effort was worth the frustrations, setbacks, disappointments, and general sanity of the idea of building.

But I also have never heard anyone who?s completed and flown on say they wish they hadn?t...

This revived thread is very interesting for a number of reasons. It pertains to the OP Earl Findlay who asked the perennial question back in 2019 of whether he could build an RV.

And of course, as is usual on VansAirforce, the perennial answers to the perennial question were largely supportive including post #13 by Steve T. who advised Earl to “Go for it. You will NOT regret it”.

Unfortunately Earl did “go for it”....and presumably did also regret that decision.

Earl ordered an RV14 kit at Oshkosh in 2019 and subsequently took possession of the empennage, QB wings and fuselage, finish kit, an IO 390 engine and full avionics including a Dynon HDX and a Garmin GTN 650.

Earl reported his project progress in the following thread started August 20, 2019.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=174481

Initially he was wildly enthusiastic during the honeymoon period. In post #5 he advised other prospective builders who were debating doing a build to “JUST DO IT”.

And then on September 10, 2020, barely 12 months after commencing the project Earl threw in the towel. In post #18 he stated: “Well folks, it is time to admit defeat.” He then promptly flogged off the incomplete project, presumably at a significant loss of both time and money.

Now, this is not a criticism of Earl because the vast majority of builders who buy an RV empennage kit never finish the project. There are a lot of people out there who have big dreams but are small on perseverance.

I just wish that posters on VansAirforce would give more considered counsel to prospective builders than simply “Go for it” when the perennial question is raised.

Firstly, if you haven’t finished a project and got it flying you’re not yet qualified to tell other potential builders how easy it is....so just shut up.

Secondly, let’s not have any more of the “anyone can do it” cr@p. That’s about as true as saying anyone can be an astronaut....or anyone can be the president. No they can’t.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back