What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for lightweight camping gear suggestions

Brantel

Well Known Member
So I am hoping to minimize what I have to ship to Osh this year and we are looking for suggestions on lightweight and foldable camping gear.

Specifically looking for cots, chairs, and a table.

What brands/models are worth the price?

I bought a Kelty Linger High Back Chair last year and was very happy with it. It folds up into a small bag and doesn?t weigh much at all. Because it?s a sling chair it?s very comfortable to sit in but it sits low to the ground so getting out of it is a bit of a process. I also bought a Kelty Gunnison 2 man tent and was very happy with it too

Last year, I finally gave in to the fact that sixty years of sleeping on bad ground on a wide variety of pads just wasn’t that fun any more, and found the Helinox Lite cot at REI that weighs less than three pounds and folds into a space less than most roll-up pads. Pricey, but well worth it. Good for backpacking or airplane camping! Also gets you of the floor for when those rivers come through the tent after an afternoon thunderstorm....

If you have an REI store in your area, go and visit it. They sell quality gear from several companies.

Camping gear

Once you decide what you want, use Amazon Prime and have it shipped free to Airventure. Hopefully somone or somewhere would accept and hold a package.

+1 for Helinox

Genuine helinox chair (multiple options but the rocker is nice), table (get the slatted version). Lightweight and excellent materials, worth the price.

I also have the helinox cot that Paul mentioned, works well but I switched to an air mattress as the cot was not quite big enough for me (6' 3" and 220). Air mattress is about 4 lbs heavier. If you want the cot I will sell at a reasonable price :D

I also now do the trick someone posted a few years ago and pack clothes in the cooler to save space and weight.

Biggest challenge is the tent, if you want one with some space that you can stand up in they are not particularly light and you want one that will not blow away or leak during the typical Osh storm or two. Mine weights 18lbs :eek:.
Figs

Camp table /cooler

We take a thick foam cooler (the kind that frozen mail order steaks come in), and fill it with soft stuff for the trip. It holds ice for two days and becomes our camp table.

Homebuilt camping has a great pavilion with picnic tables and gas grills, so we don't need a dinner height table at the airplane. You should be able to get everything you need in your -7.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

Back