What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bench power voltage

Av8rRob

Well Known Member
A buddy of mine loaned me a bench power supply that is putting out 14.8 volts. Seems a bit high, anything to worry about using it to test items in my plane as I build? It is an American made unit that goes up to 30 amps (not ebay **** from china).

Thanks

Probably not a problem, but its a bit high for my liking. Theres always a voltage pot inside, so if it were me, I'd open it up and turn it down to 14.4 if you have something with rechargable batteries, 13s if you dont. No need to push the internal regulators of your expensive gear on the bench.

BTW unless your American supply is from the 1970s, its undoubtedly assembled with chinese parts.......just like everything else.

Unfortunately the lowest I can set it with the little pot screw is 14.78. Any other ideas?

Use an automotive battery.
Be careful not to reverse polarity.
Charge the battery when not powering the aircraft.

Rob look into an Iota power converter, they are used in the RV (Winnebago) world to run electronics at campsites with 110 power and have very clean output for electronics. They also charge 12v batteries. I have used one for 15+ years to power my big R/C battery chargers (30+ amps) and bought another one to run my avionics in the hangar.

Back