What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing light-pulsing

Ernie

when my landing light switch is in the neutral (0ff Position) my landing light is pulsing. In all other positions it is working correctly. The pulsing stops when I pull the landing light fuse. Any suggestions?

Sounds like its either mis-wired at the switch or at the light. Have you checked the wiring at the switch. Probably wires on the wrong poles.

Ernie - The logic in the landing light allows the pulse lead to override the landing light. In other words, regardless of state of voltage on the landing light wire, 12 volts applied to the pulse lead will cause the landing light to pulse. If your landing light is pulsing when the switch is in the off position, either the switch is bad or there is a wiring issue. Time to break out the volt meter and troubleshoot. It will be interesting for us to hear what the outcome is.

Happy building,

Land light- pulsing

Thanks for your thoughts. I removed the 5001 switch module from the plane and checked continuity between light fuse and pulse pin out. My conclusion is that the module is faulty. Will be contacting Vans in the morning.

Landing light pulsing mechanism

Does the Land Light Pulse setting on the Land Light switch include the necessary 'gizmo' to cause the lights to pulse -OR- do I need to add a pulse/strobe type 'gizmo' into the wiring to make the light pulse?

I ask this because I don't have landing lights in my RV-12 but I want to add a bright LED (possibly locating it in or near the air intake area) to help make my aircraft more visible to others in the air. I think a pulsing light will be far more likely to catch the eye of another airborne pilot than a steady light. My intention is to wire the LED into the Land Light switch.

I'm of the firm view that the more I can do to help make my RV-12 visible to others the less chance there is of a mid-air collision or near-miss. :eek:

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Oophda

Oophda -

The standard landing light supplied by Van's for the RV-12 is made by Aeroleds. The pulse feature is built into the Aeroleds light NOT THE SWITCH. If power is applied to the power wire on the Aeroleds light, the light will be steady on. If power is applied to the pulse wire the Aeroleds light will flash. (For what is worth, anytime power is applied to the pulse wire the light will flash regardless if power is applied to the power wire or not).

If you install two Aeroleds landing lights, there is a third sync wire that can be run from the master wire of one light to the slave wire on the other light. With the sync wire installed, anytime power is applied to the pulse wire on the landing lights, the Aeroleds landing lights will do an in sync wig-wag ... a guaranteed way to command attention.

I have two Aeroleds landing lights mounted in the wings wired for wig-wag and have received quite a few comments about how noticeable my RV-12 is in the air.

Last edited:
Double check your connectors at the fuselage. In the heat of the battle when wires are being inserted I must have been inverted in the 12 because the moment of first power up everything lit up very briefly before a fuse blew. A quick inspection and switching a couple of wires and all is well.

Back