What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PROTENG Fire supression system

MS19087

Well Known Member
This month's EAA magazine had and advert in the back for this fire suppression product. They claim they are installed on some certified planes and on EAAs RV-6A aircraft. Very interesting product with some nice benefits. Check it out at PROTENG.COM.

Given the threads on firewall insulation and fire protection, i thought this could be a viable solution. By the way i contacted the manufacturer and they sent me a quote . . . $499-$799 depending on size of cowl area. I'm interested in thoughts from the brain-trust (Dan H?) or anyone who may have installed this.

I appreciate your input as I plan my -14 firewall forward.

Thanks - Mark

Well, it certainly won't work under the cowl as per info on their web site indicates the tube burst open at the temp of 158F
The temp in my cowl does certainly get hotter than that, specially after the shut down.

Heavy Duty Version?

FYI . . . The one pictured installed on EAA's RV-6A shows it installed on or near the engine mount - not inside the baffled area on top the cylinders.

From their website - they talk about an HD version . . .

"Heavy Duty:

A thicker wall Polyamide tube filled with extinguishing agent FM-200® which is a non-toxic, non-carcinogenic, environmentally friendly, non-corrosive gas
The Polyamide tube ruptures when exposed to direct flame, or any temperatures exceeding 194°F, releasing the FM-200® agent
Length needed is determined by calculation of area to be protected
Intended for enclosed areas where nominal temperatures do not occur near or over 194°F"

I emailed the company about the temperatures and received this response:

?The average activation temperature is 350 degrees... We have tested on several aircraft in South Florida over the summer prior to performing any installation to assure this.?

Here is my thoughts on fire suppression in an aircraft engine:

Will it work?

You are flying along at 160 knots ++/- and the system goes off, I seams like the air rushing through the cowling will blow any fire retardant out the exit before it can do any good.

Last edited:
When I get to the firewall portion of my build, I'm considering the system used in race cars.
Instead of activated automatically by temperature, a big red knob in the cockpit.
Race cars typically have a nozzle pointed at the engine, the driver, and the fuel cell.
With gas tanks out on the wing, and limited visibility with a nozzle going off in our small cockpit, maybe I'll have one manually controlled nozzle, or maybe two from different angles, forward of the firewall.

I will be wearing my Nomex racing suit for the first few flights.

Still kicking ideas around my noggin....

Airline engine fire supression systems are often armed by the firewall shutoff switch, then activated by a guarded switch.

Accidentally discharged fire bottles are a big mess and quite expensive, so aren't automatic systems as far as I've seen. A simple sensor malfunction can really ruin your day.

I could imagine a T handle to shut off the fuel, ignition system and arm the fire supression system. Then a guarded switch for activation. Both must be in the correct position before the system activates.

Back