What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass tips

wirejock

Well Known Member
I'm no expert and the last thing I want is to steal any thunder from Dan. He is "The Man". I learned so much reading his threads. No way I could have done it without his knowledge.
Thanks Dan.

A few builders asked me how I did the fiberglass and paint. My blog posts detailed it but many of my posts were disappearing to Archive. They were still available, but builders had to find them. So I collected my meager knowledge in all my blog posts to pages. I created three pages. Fiberglass, Paint and Cut & Buff. I also edited my Epoxy Calculator. The calculator is handy for estimating product quantities for layups, primers and paints. All the links are easy to find in my blog. If they help, fabulous. That's why we do this.
If I'm from another world, like I said, I'm not the Bodhisattva.
Feel free to send e-mail questions. One of my joys is helping others avoid my mistakes.
My blog link is in my signature below.

Are there any recommended good video guides showing fiberglass basics? Or maybe one showing someone doing the fiberglass work on their empennage tips from start to finish? I did a few Youtube searches but came up mostly empty.

Videos

Are there any recommended good video guides showing fiberglass basics? Or maybe one showing someone doing the fiberglass work on their empennage tips from start to finish? I did a few Youtube searches but came up mostly empty.

I looked on YT and found one short about closing the elevator tip. Not crazy about the method. Also searched VAF and found lots of threads but no videos.
One problem is there are so many methods and variations. On mine, for example, one tip didn't fit over the weight and had to be split. Then there's several methods to attach them. Some fill the seam so it doesn't show. Others leave the seam.
Happy to help. Maybe start a new thread describing your issues.

No specific issues, just not sure where to start as a beginner. Prior to COVID-19, the obvious answer was the EAA Fiberglass workshop but those are now on hold.

Fiberglass 1.0

No specific issues, just not sure where to start as a beginner. Prior to COVID-19, the obvious answer was the EAA Fiberglass workshop but those are now on hold.

Dan's thread is a excellent start, but if you prefer a write up with no forum posts, check my blog, under "Pages" for a link to the Fiberglass page. It has all the goodies in a list and a pretty simple process for working fiberglass. Sorry, no video.
It's really easy to work and if you don't like the results, fiberglass can be sanded and redone.

Dan's thread is a excellent start, but if you prefer a write up with no forum posts, check my blog, under "Pages" for a link to the Fiberglass page. It has all the goodies in a list and a pretty simple process for working fiberglass. Sorry, no video.
It's really easy to work and if you don't like the results, fiberglass can be sanded and redone.

Do you have a link for Dan's thread or a name one could search for?

Helpful Video

The 1970 vibe is strong on this one, but it helped me a lot in at least understanding basic terms and process and I am a complete beginner still with fiberglass. There may be newer materials which are not covered but at least you get the idea with cloth and resin/epoxy.

https://youtu.be/1ZYc1nyhJdc

Back