What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ray Allen servo testing

Latech15

Well Known Member
The very end of the empennage kit has you put together the elevator trim assembly and it asks you to actuate the servo both directions to ensure no binding. How exactly to you actuate the servo? Just touch the leads to a 12v battery? Do they expect you to wire up the switch completely?

I have a 12v battery from a game feeder that I can use, it I’m wondering if there is a better way. Tried searching and came up short.

Thanks!

2 white leads. Change polarity and it changes direction. I think I just used a 9V battery. A little slower but it does the job.

As above

Just use a 9v battery to the white leads.

I will admit, that I got all techy & made up leads so I could wire in the switch and indicator when I tested mine. I will also point out that I'm an Engineer, and my wife recognises that as both a valid career and a known medical condition.

Make a point to watch where the jackscrew exits forward into the elevator spar area, and make sure it doesn't foul on anything.

I have been using a small 12 battery charger for flaps and trim.
Did not have a 9 Volt battery around. They don't seem to be used in too many things these days.

I looked hi and low for a 9v battery and was just about resigned to getting the ladder rout and borrowing one out of a smoke detector when I discovered that the remote for the ceiling fans at my house use them.

On the servo I received, the power wires are white and gray (not white and white). Orange, blue and green are for the position sensor and don't need to be connected.

One other warning when you test the trim tab full range of motion. The movement of the two tabs on the RV-10 are not symmetrical. One of the tabs will actually reverse direction while the other tab is still continuing to move in the same direction! This caused me to think that I had screwed something up, and I tried changing the rigging on the cables at the tabs. When I couldn't figure it out, I called Van's support and they informed me that the tabs do not move symmetrically, and that the movement as I originally had them (per the instructions) was correct.

Just trying to help you avoid the concern & frustration I had when I first did the servo test.

Cheers,

Back