What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flyboy Access. pneumatic tailwheel pilot report

N729LS

Well Known Member
Patron
I recently installed the new Condor2 8" pneumatic tailwheel and fork produced by Flyboy Accessories, described here.
I have flown it a few times now and find it to be "most excellent"! :D

The fork looks very much like the Doug Bell fork. It is the same width (same axle bolts will work), but is a bit longer to account for the 1" of additional tire radius. No change to the steering link were required. The shiny aluminum split rim is very pretty and uses replaceable sealed bearings. The tire is the 200x50 (8.00-2) AeroClassic 6-ply with a 45?-stem tube, inflated to 50 psi.

Note: This size of tire and tube are used on many scooters, so non-aero, less robust versions are available very cheap. Maybe as a travel spare or if you operate exclusively on grass? You can even get foam-filled versions, but such might take a set with the kind of parked weight that is on the -8 tailwheel.

On the plane, the visual difference between the 8" pneumatic tailwheel and the 6" solid tailwheel is minimal. Over the 14' distance between the main gear and the tailwheel, the pitch change due the <1.5" net change in vertical at the tailwheel computes to about 1/2?. This is not really noticeable while taxiing or TO or landing. This will raise the step about 0.4", which is also not noticeable.

What is noticeable is the complete loss of the "banging aluminum drum" noise during all ground ops! Small surface cracks are completely absorbed by the tire, and larger cracks produce a "thump" instead "bang". I have had passengers ask "Is that OK?!" :eek: during normal ground ops just because of the tailwheel-induced noise. It's pretty loud in the back seat, I think. That won't happen any more for sure. And when I smoothly and carefully (sic) lower the tailwheel after a wheel landing, now it smoothly and quietly kisses the ground. :)

Net result: I think this is a great improvement to the ground operations of the plane, especially on less-than-smooth surfaces and with a back-seater, at a cost of ~$400. FWIW,
Andy

Thanks

Andy,
Thanks for the review.
Saw this pre-oshkosk and was wondering about it.
Would be great to stop the tailcone noise.

Good to hear this, as we have some good sized expansion joints on our taxiways. I've been wondering about whether this would help.

Do you have any pictures of it?

My only concern with pneumatic tailwheels is that I have had a number of them pop on me.

Condor Fork and tyre picture

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/1152.htm

I've been flying with a pneumatic tailwheel for a while but it's strange size and I can't find a tyre for it. Only place I could find one was Germany where it's used on a wheel chair!!

It does all Andy says though and the lack of 'banging' is sweet on the ears.

Think I might have to have one on my next visit to the US!

Regards, Clive
UK RV9

Sorry, I did not weigh the fork/wheel/tire combination. :confused: Subjectively, the wheel/tire combo seems lighter than the solid one I had, but total all-up delta can't be more than 1/4 lb.

I have never had a it happen in ~1500 hours of tailwheel flying, but worry about a blown tailwheel tire is not unreasonable, which is why I brought up the options for a cheap travel spare, including the foam filled tire version. Almost any FBO will have a 5.00-5 to sell you; not so the 200x50. These are available at any Walmart, however!

The 6-ply rated Aero Classic tire ought :rolleyes: to be sturdy. Guess we'll see!
Andy

Just keep it properly inflated at all times. That's the key. I've never blown a tail wheel in years of backcountry flying. (great, I just jinxed myself...)

Another good thing to bring along is a tire plug kit in case you puncture the tire. It's super easy to plug a hole, then use a bike pump (or similar) to pump up your tire. It'll work just fine until you can get home for a proper tire change. I've had to do it several times on jeeps and 4-wheelers out here in the middle of the desert, just not (yet) on a tailwheel.

Last edited:
Just received mine last week that I ordered at the show (Oshkosh) and like Andy said it's a nice looking high quality item. It will be a little wile before I can give y'all a flight report as I'am still putting the puzzle together. I don't believe that a plug type repair will work with this as it's a tube and unsealed split wheel/ rim old fashion bicycle tube patch kit would be the way to go.

Tailwheel weights

Hello folks, I saw a couple of people asking about the weight of this unit. The whole assembly (fork, tube, tire, hub) weighs in at 3 lbs, 10 oz.

For reference, I threw a standard Van's fork and one of their tires on the scale and came up actually about an ounce heavier than the Condor2 (Van's stuff weighs in at 3 lbs. 11 oz).

Many of you have lighter wheels than the standard (like our Lightweight or Deluxe tires), so your individual weight may differ somewhat from that.

For what it's worth, you can find and order this product at http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/1152.htm.

As of today (13 September, 2018), I have somewhat limited stock of the hub pieces, which should be rectified in something like 2-3 weeks. If we run out, you can still order and we will fill those orders as soon as we get them back in hand.

Hello folks, I saw a couple of people asking about the weight of this unit. The whole assembly (fork, tube, tire, hub) weighs in at 3 lbs, 10 oz.

For reference, I threw a standard Van's fork and one of their tires on the scale and came up actually about an ounce heavier than the Condor2 (Van's stuff weighs in at 3 lbs. 11 oz).

Many of you have lighter wheels than the standard (like our Lightweight or Deluxe tires), so your individual weight may differ somewhat from that.

For what it's worth, you can find and order this product at http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/1152.htm.

As of today (13 September, 2018), I have somewhat limited stock of the hub pieces, which should be rectified in something like 2-3 weeks. If we run out, you can still order and we will fill those orders as soon as we get them back in hand.

Blake, I'm thinking of ordering one, but I'd like it without any powder coat so I can paint it to match the existing fork...can I get that?

Blake, I'm thinking of ordering one, but I'd like it without any powder coat so I can paint it to match the existing fork...can I get that?

Mark,

Yes, we can do that, I just don't have any in stock right now without the powder coating. Will be taking more pieces to the welder this week, so I should have them available soon.

For what it's worth, we usually have three finish options: white powder coat, black powder coat, and "primed." The primed finish just gets a quick blast of rattle-can primer on it to keep it from getting nasty while shipping. If you are looking to paint it up with the good stuff and prefer a bare steel fork, you can always just make a note on the order and we can ship it bare steel or sandblasted.

You can also paint over top of the powder coat, which is nice because if and when the paint gets abraded off by grass and debris, there is still a little tougher layer of powder coating underneath.

Mark,

Yes, we can do that, I just don't have any in stock right now without the powder coating. Will be taking more pieces to the welder this week, so I should have them available soon.

For what it's worth, we usually have three finish options: white powder coat, black powder coat, and "primed." The primed finish just gets a quick blast of rattle-can primer on it to keep it from getting nasty while shipping. If you are looking to paint it up with the good stuff and prefer a bare steel fork, you can always just make a note on the order and we can ship it bare steel or sandblasted.

You can also paint over top of the powder coat, which is nice because if and when the paint gets abraded off by grass and debris, there is still a little tougher layer of powder coating underneath.

OK, I'm going to send in my order and primed is just what I want. I'll note that.

Installed it - Love it.

I just installed my FlyBoy's Pneumatic Tailwheel and love it. Handles better taxing and on the takeoff and landing rolls. Looks awesome too. Swapping it out was a piece of cake. No more grease for the sealed / replaceable bearings. He even includes a little extension that makes getting an inflation tool on the valve stem easier. Not necessary, but a thoughtful touch.

I'm attaching a link to a gallery of my photos for this project - https://randyking.smugmug.com/N814RK-Tailwheel

I just installed my FlyBoy's Pneumatic Tailwheel and love it. Handles better taxing and on the takeoff and landing rolls. Looks awesome too. Swapping it out was a piece of cake. No more grease for the sealed / replaceable bearings. He even includes a little extension that makes getting an inflation tool on the valve stem easier. Not necessary, but a thoughtful touch.

I'm attaching a link to a gallery of my photos for this project - https://randyking.smugmug.com/N814RK-Tailwheel

Nice pics, but hard to get a to tow bar over that nut/cotter pin!

I have all metal locknuts on both ends of my tailwheel axle. I use a Bogart tow bar to push the plane out of the hangar and then pull it back in. Wouldn't do it any other way. No pressure on any control surfaces or the prop and I can steer it precisely.

To each his own

To each his own Mark. I'm flying aerobatics on practically every flight. The last thing I need is a tow-bar knocking around the baggage compartment. So, I move the plane around using the horizontal stabilizer and occasionally the prop. No damage, very precise. Works great for me.

We're derailing the discussion. Peace :)
Randy

Last edited:
Back