What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed Aviation headset

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I have two Zulu headsets bought in 2011. By 2017 the plastics became sticky and were breaking down. There was no warranty coverage, but I went ahead and paid 170 each for service to replace the parts that were failing. Now more parts have become that sticky rubber feeling. Multiple e mails and even attempted to phone them to resolve the defects without results. I originally bought the Zulus because they were cheeper then the Bose and I needed two more headsets. My original Bose are 14 years old and still going strong. With the service cost from two years ago I have more money into them then I would have had just going with the Bose. If you have Lightspeed Headsets that are still under warranty and they are the least bit tacky I would recommend sending them in before the warranty expires.

I have had the same issue with both of my pairs of Lightspeed. It seems the pasticizer leaches out from the switch box and leaves the surface perpetually tacky. The first unit was repaired under warranty. The second unit cost me $175, though the factory, in theory, tested everything and replaced any worn or damaged parts. Either way, I agree with you it is frustrating. If not for the tacky surface, I would not have returned the headset and would not have spent the $175.

Mine went the same way and I agree it is poor for a premium product. I've had some success cleaning with the following method but it comes back after a year or two:
1. Dampen a lint free cloth soaked with IPA (IsoPropyl Alcohol)
2. Wipe the sticky area ensuring that you only wipe in one direction (not back and forth)
3. Change the cloth from time to time get rid of the sticky stuff.

Lightspeed Headsets

Are these headsets left in a hot cockpit or exposed to direct sunlight during the summer months?

Mine went the same way and I agree it is poor for a premium product. I've had some success cleaning with the following method but it comes back after a year or two:
2. Wipe the sticky area ensuring that you only wipe in one direction (not back and forth)

That rubbery stufff is just a coating. Keep wiping with the alcohol and it will come off completely, lleaving the shiny plastic. That will be the end of the problem.

Are these headsets left in a hot cockpit or exposed to direct sunlight during the summer months?

Fair question. My headsets are in Massachusetts. The plane is hangered so, unfortunately, it sees daylight only about once a week for an hour or two.:)

Regards,

Dean
Bolton, MA

Lightspeed Hadset

I had the same issue. Headsets was never left out in the sun or in a hot cockpit. Alcohol will take the goo off.

I used the rubbing alcohol and wiped the cover hard enough to remove the coating. It is now shiny and never gets tacky. I also did this with a wine cork extractor. It is very easy to do and does not take very long.

This is what I did when my Zulu's got tacky. Worked like a charm and the problem hasn't come back.

No never left them in a hot environment. They sat in my closet for 4.5 year during my build. Headset serviced by Lightspeed in 2017. Plane started flying in 2018. Only take them out for rear passengers since I have been using my Bose. I have sent a bunch of e mails to Lightspeed and only get an automated response. Called and only voice recording. Will try the cleaning process thanks. Lightspeed has lost my confidence with both their product and customer service.

Back