What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A rebirthing

I hear ya man. My wallet just took quite the hit... I ordered the engine and prop on Friday. :D

WOW! I bought an old engine and still looking for a prop. Will need to rebuild my engine soon and recut the case for Dyna I.

Finished the recent stunt project and we are off!

Looks like I left off on the brake lines...But will need to make another flap motor part as well, I do not like this one and I have a new one in the kit I bought.

42170700981_9fd0a5e582_c.jpg

It is cold in the garage! Firing up the propane heater...must remember to vent the space so I don't kill myself...

It is cold in the garage! Firing up the propane heater...must remember to vent the space so I don't kill myself...

Or, you could stay warm by working faster!:p

I kid! I kid! Couldn't resist. Thanks for all your postings, I really enjoy following along on everyones builds.

Or, you could stay warm by working faster!:p

I kid! I kid! Couldn't resist. Thanks for all your postings, I really enjoy following along on everyone's builds.

Been, good fun! I live in OR so high today is 50, brrrrr. I will do most of the bending inside where it is warm. I need to install a fuel return line as well so will need to research that in depth before I start drilling holes in expensive assemblies!

Last edited:
I got back in the garage for a short time today. It was cold. I managed to stuff myself back in the bad boy to do the brake lines. Didn't finish, wanted to watch the Chargers a bit. Also, short a nut for the output bulkhead fitting. Have -6's but no -4's...bummer.

46681645312_8accbfc3a3_c.jpg

46734380661_4b106f2dcf_c.jpg

Been a while, see if I remember how to post pictures. Worked!

So I got the brakes lines installed and flared but not sure about the lower one might cut the flare off and shorten it a bit to get it parallel with the above line.

My inner "Monk" is screaming at me. I didn't notice it was not in harmony with the other line until I saw this pic. Will think about that...not that the top line is perpendicular to the bottom skin anyway..

31837124527_17ab663b77_b.jpg

Also wasn't sure I stayed within the confines of the outlet passage on the cover sheet metal. I checked Bruce Swayzes' page and I think I might be OK.

Thanks, Jeremy.

I am diving into the duplex Andair valve today if I can skirt around my Julianne's to do list a little...haha

32926744178_09af3415dc_b.jpg

39837194263_b224a515fc_b.jpg

Did some study of this task and I believe Tom@TSflightlines is the best bet for the plumbing. Still going to futz around a bit with it.

Andair valve -4 fuel inlet

I just realized my valve has -4 or 1/8NPT fittings for the fuel inlet, I believe I need -6 for the inlet.

Crud! How long will it take to get the correct fittings from Andair? bummer...

fuel and brake lines

I'd go with braided steel covered flex lines from TS Flightlines for the brake lines from the fuse to the calipers. Also the fuel lines from the tanks to the valve. And the fuel vent lines from the tank to connect to solid aluminum lines once they get inside the fuselage.

I've had to uninstall/reinstall my tanks so many times and flare fittings seem to get worse every time you remove/reinstall them. Also, any vibration eventually causes cracks at the flare if they aren't perfect.

I'd go with braided steel covered flex lines from TS Flightlines for the brake lines from the fuse to the calipers. Also the fuel lines from the tanks to the valve. And the fuel vent lines from the tank to connect to solid aluminum lines once they get inside the fuselage.

I've had to uninstall/reinstall my tanks so many times and flare fittings seem to get worse every time you remove/reinstall them. Also, any vibration eventually causes cracks at the flare if they aren't perfect.

This is good information, thank you.
I am going to go with flex for the brake lines to the caliper certainly. I am currently working on the fuel lines from the valve to a bulkhead fitting on the fuse and was considering flex from there to the fuel tank. Not sure that is a good or bad idea yet.

What I did want to say is that I ordered some fittings from Andair and they arrived in Portland OR. in less than two days!

39911307903_a91e85891c_c.jpg

That is FAST!

Roger that. I think that is a good way to go.

Fuel lines

Got back to the fuel lines, need a return so I spent a lot of time researching
the best way to do it. At least I think it is currently.

33316329268_54d4060340_b.jpg

46277461725_e470b9809f_b.jpg

I have some more pic's to take but it is cold out there...

bunch of 90? bends...

Start of fuel mockup on the bench. Kitchen remodel bench.

33354563058_4094d81c1f_b.jpg

33354563118_c91bdb57c1_b.jpg

I looked at the standard Vans valve and it had 90? bends.

Now I worked for a time in fluids and controls at an engineering firm dealing with prototypes and we avoided 90? bends like the plague in pneumatic systems. Low pressure systems, 50-250psi. I am going to have to do some semi-scientific empirical testing on this to satisfy myself this is GTG as I don't have four different types of engineers to get free information from hahaha!
Good news is I can read!

Kentlik.

You have seen the stock RV-7 boost pump, check valve, filter contraption with all the plumbing? Looks like a thermal detonator. Lots of bends, and seems to work just fine.

Bend on.

(oh, dont forget to add the sleeve before you flare the end. Ask me how many time I know.)

Does take quite a bit of thought to get all of that stuff under the stock covers, ESPECIALLY with the NPT ports. Our way might not be the least expensive, but certainly the least headaches. BUNCHES of them flying without issue.

Tom

Kentlik.

You have seen the stock RV-7 boost pump, check valve, filter contraption with all the plumbing? Looks like a thermal detonator. Lots of bends, and seems to work just fine.

Bend on.

(oh, dont forget to add the sleeve before you flare the end. Ask me how many time I know.)

Roger that, bending on...

Does take quite a bit of thought to get all of that stuff under the stock covers, ESPECIALLY with the NPT ports. Our way might not be the least expensive, but certainly the least headaches. BUNCHES of them flying without issue.

Tom

Tom thank you!
You helped out with advice and pictures! I am just in a phase of spending money to realize this might not be the way to do it. Hahaha

Then end up buying your lines...

90? Andair fittings

I ordered a few of these fittings from Andair to use in the fuel system design.

46367586915_8f82b30b27_c.jpg

Wire

So, I received some of this stuff today. Doesn't look like much but my understanding is getting all this stuff in in the correct orientation is a bit of a job.

We shall see...

33511834468_01aab8aa8b_c.jpg

Fuel valve plumbing coming together. Not terrible but does make me a bit heavy headed leaning over for so long. Oh well.

32473657367_c20ceeb6e8_c.jpg

32473657337_0395fb5bef_c.jpg

Kent, good call on that carbide bit in that die grinder eh? Love that thing, it's a beast!

I took some time to do a few little tasks and then deal with more fuel line math...

Added one more of these electrical firewall access'.

32614916477_fa674b0867_c.jpg

Fuel line

32614916407_77af778bab_b.jpg

Two supply lines in, finally

32614916457_96e744ca25_b.jpg

32614916447_4626ce8d99_c.jpg

33680695148_5391d4af7e_c.jpg

I am going repaint the cover plate attach points and "flemish" them up a bit.

Now to the return lines

Thanks Jereme.

I am trying to get a bit more complete, but I had to remodel our whole kitchen in the last 10 or so weeks. I had a crew in but still did quite a bit myself with my brother.

Kent, what is your status?

I just got back on it after an extended run of film jobs. I need to get a few fuel lines sorted and I can get back to stuff that I want to do.

48314544746_66496c755d_b.jpg
[/url]IMAG0655 by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

48314667382_e2659006d0_b.jpg
[/url]IMAG0653 by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Fiberglass materials arrived as well as some wiring materials. Will get the basic rear wiring in place toot sweet.

48314667297_1a894cf9a4_b.jpg
[/url]IMAG0656 by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Had to clean and am still cleaning the garage to get a better working environment...

Hey Kent! Keep up the good work and lets go flying soon!

We're having a hangar party on Saturday the 27th, feel free to come by! All afternoon and evening.

The camera roll feature has changed and I am getting the "URL" artifacts on my posts...can you enlighten me on how to manage the link better Jereme?
Notice the tagging of the photo?!

27570027677_d1beb6a728.jpg
[/url]732x549_THUMBNAIL_Yellow-Jacket-Stings by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Ya mine posts them too. I am never really bothered by them, especially since mine are always numbers. Let's put it this way, when I look at someones sweet a$$ post on their aircraft I never notice the numbers/title of the pic. :D

Jereme,

I am with you on this one! I am done with the darn fuel lines...almost. Missing one 819-6D fuel line sleeve! Can't believe it...all the same I am moving on to repair of large cut-outs in the first bulkhead behind the avionics panel then adding the hinges to the lower portions of the firewall etc...

48331610457_ab271ca5d8_b.jpg
[/url]cut-outs panel by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

One large one right and one smaller far left

A big thank you to Bruce Swayze for supplying me with an 819 AN-6D sleeve!
I was stuck and gave him a call and he had one! Looked to be from his test parts, all perfect and in a safe place. I will have to get him a replacement when Van's opens in a half hour.

His plane is almost done and it looks fantastic!

48347382897_bee6d5a6b9_z.jpg
[/url]image (1) by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

RV-7A rebirth

Might I suggest an aluminum plate with nut plates and screws in place of the piano hinges at the bottom of the lower cowl ? Lasts a lot longer than the hinges. Have had to repair mine a couple times before changing to the screws.

Might I suggest an aluminum plate with nut plates and screws in place of the piano hinges at the bottom of the lower cowl ? Lasts a lot longer than the hinges. Have had to repair mine a couple times before changing to the screws.

Well, yes that seems to be a grand idea. Unfortunately for me I have finished the lower hinges and will leave them and as necessary replace them if they fail. Your suggestion sounds like a winner!

Than you for the tip! I am always open to help.

Good job Kent, I did the same, it seems to work great. Tip: really spend some quality time get those brass bushings perfect, when you do it will feel like it's moving on air!

Good job Kent, I did the same, it seems to work great. Tip: really spend some quality time get those brass bushings perfect, when you do it will feel like it's moving on air!

Got it! I had done a previous install but had this extra setup and thought it was the bee's knees to put in the button deal.

I will make every effort to make you proud of me Jereme!

I finished up a few items including the ELT bracket. I am avoiding a few things like starting the wiring and replacing a few bolts that were correct per plan but too short in reality...

48384424647_d03e44e720_b.jpg
[/url]IMAG0679 by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Not much but still plugging along

Working on a new flap actuator tunnel. I wanted to get it set up with my new linear actuator. I had one in 5" but it was not smart so I ordered a smarter one and need to change the mount location. Also, need to turn a headpiece on the lathe which won't take but a minute.

48400364161_cd6cdbd441_b.jpg
[/url]IMAG0681 by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

48400506662_307fc8a05a_b.jpg
[/url]IMAG0680 by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Did some tests with the old tunnel and believe I have a good plan.

Finally worked out the math on the new flap actuator. Or at least it works on the bench but we will see how she performs in the plane...

Had to make a new rod tip to thread in the Heim joint

48425494911_f1654cdc5f_b.jpg
[/url]IMAG0684 by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

I painted the actuator channel, one of the few things I have put a "finish" paint on

48425636222_11f80b5bbf_b.jpg
[/url]IMAG0682 by Kent Luttrell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back