What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tablet mount - Show your setup - RV14A

I haven't found a tablet necessary with the Garmin G3X Touch and GTN combo. What avionics are you planning?

I used to fly an RV-8A with a single Dynon D-180 and some steam gauges. I considered my Ram mounted iPad running ForeFlight (coupled with a Stratus) required equipment.

Last week I flew my RV-14 (dual HDX and a GTN) from Oregon to Virginia. We had an iPad loaded with ForeFlight in the cockpit but never felt a need to fire it up.

I used to fly an RV-8A with a single Dynon D-180 and some steam gauges. I considered my Ram mounted iPad running ForeFlight (coupled with a Stratus) required equipment.

Last week I flew my RV-14 (dual HDX and a GTN) from Oregon to Virginia. We had an iPad loaded with ForeFlight in the cockpit but never felt a need to fire it up.

That's good to know, looks like I'll be good without a tablet in the cockpit. How long was your flight time from Oregon to VA? My engine and panel will be just like yours except for the GTN, I'm going with the Avidyne IFD440.

Dual HDX and IFD440.

With a dual screen EFIS I would agree that loading the flight plan is all you need the iPad for. It becomes redundant in the cockpit.

However, for any single screen builders out there, my setup with an iPad works well. I have a single screen G3x touch, 625 and a G5. I use a powered mount for my iPad as a second screen. It is easily removable in flight and I can put it on my left knee with Sportys cheap but effective iPad knee board.

I use it to review weather or make changes to the route in flight. It was very handy coming back from Sun-n-Fun this year for those very reasons. Worked very well and saves on a second screen.

I agree that with 2 screens on the panel an iPad would be redundant. I have just one AFS5500 and an iPad mini velcroed to a RAM ball mount (see pic) just above my left knee. It has FlyQ connected to a stratux for traffic or geo-referenced plates and can also display a backup AI. I find I use it about half the time. The mounting is close and gives good screen visibility with the adjustable angle and is convenient for poking the screen. Also gives cheap, independent EFIS redundancy with over an hour battery life just in case...what's not to like? :)

2uzqoeu.jpg

I have 2 G3X screens and a standby dynon 10A.
I mount a full size Ipad on a RAM mount to the far right. The RAM ball is permanently attached to the panel.

My reasoning is if everything else fails the Ipad will give position and map for a few hours on its internal batteries...

With a dual screen EFIS I would agree that loading the flight plan is all you need the iPad for. It becomes redundant in the cockpit.

However, for any single screen builders out there, my setup with an iPad works well. I have a single screen G3x touch, 625 and a G5. I use a powered mount for my iPad as a second screen. It is easily removable in flight and I can put it on my left knee with Sportys cheap but effective iPad knee board.

I use it to review weather or make changes to the route in flight. It was very handy coming back from Sun-n-Fun this year for those very reasons. Worked very well and saves on a second screen.

Which powered mount for the iPad?

I have dual AFS 4500 screens and use my iPad mounted on a Ram mount attached to,the right side of the cockpit. We are installing a,GDL52R for ADS-B In. I am told that the iPad will be the best screen to show the ADS-B In. Would have preferred to,show ADS-B In on one of my EFIS screens but have been told the iPad will be better.

Back