What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Want to see a RV 10 up close before deciding

azminear

I'm New Here
I am considering building a RV 10 but want to look one over first. Maybe even get a ride in one. Anyone in the Wyoming area? I live near Cheyenne.

I am considering building a RV 10 but want to look one over first. Maybe even get a ride in one. Anyone in the Wyoming area? I live near Cheyenne.

No -10 here (yet) but I'm building a -7A in Worland. If you ever want to see basic construction and talk for hours on end how to build one just let me know if you are ever in town. haha

Also, Denver area is probably your best bet in finding a -10 driver.

I will take you up on a visit if I get near there in the future. I flew over Worland 2 weeks ago but no reason to stop then. I saw a 7a at the Glendo flyin this year, they look pretty nice.

Arno I just sent this link to a an email group I'm in. There are a few -10 builders in the North Colorado area. Hopefully you will get some responses.

Boulder / Broomfield area builders?

I'm getting awfully close to pulling the trigger on a RV-10 kit. Just trying to figure out where to build it since my home field (KBDU) claims a 2 year wait on hangars. If anyone at Boulder, Broomfield, Erie, or Longmont is building one, I'd love to get in contact and ask a few questions, compare notes, etc. Thanks! Phone number is 720-288-1504. (Michael)

Welcome to VAF

Michael, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Get on the waiting list------you are going to use up that two years building.

I'm on it! Just trying to figure out where I start building. I really can't taxi a plane from my garage down the street.

Is it unrealistic to order the $4000 tail section first and start to build that in a storage unit? I figure that would be a secure location, I can transport the tail to the hangar when I get one, and if I find that this isn't turning out well, I'm only out the $4,000.

I'm on it! Just trying to figure out where I start building. I really can't taxi a plane from my garage down the street.

Is it unrealistic to order the $4000 tail section first and start to build that in a storage unit? I figure that would be a secure location, I can transport the tail to the hangar when I get one, and if I find that this isn't turning out well, I'm only out the $4,000.

There are many who built the whole plane (wings off) in a two car garage, then rented a tilt-bed truck for the trip to the airport. I did this.
Yes, many get the tail kit first, to see if building is really for you. I did this.
Most storage units are pretty small, lack power, and may not appreciate the noise of an air compressor. If you can find the space building at home has advantages.

I really can't taxi a plane from my garage down the street.

Sure you can!
40909147050_cd1b160976_o.jpg
[/url]IMG_0027 by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]

You guys are great! Thanks for the help, info, and encouragement.

I envy you guys who can build in the garage. My goal is to end up with both an intact plane and an intact marriage. Filling the garage with parts for the next 2-6 years may not lead to either of those...

Last edited:

The reality is you'll finish it MUCH faster if you can work on it at home. Food is closer. A restroom is closer. The couch and a beer are closer for when you make a mistake. It is easier to heat your garage (or basement) than a hangar. You're always at your house, so it is easy to sneak out into the workshop and spend 5 minutes or 5 hours.

The vast majority of people (not everyone) largely build their airplanes at home and transport them to an airfield for final assembly.

To your other point about the worst case, you're out $4k, you're right. And you should be able to recover part of that on the secondary market.

You raise some good points. I had envisioned being able to bring pieces back and forth as I work on them. Seems like some of the early work, the panel, seats, etc are in bite-sizes that will fit in my car and can be worked on at home, while the bigger pieces are kept somewhere else.

So far, my wife is totally supportive of this idea. We have toyed with the idea of buying a Cirrus or Bonanza for a few years, but $500,000 to $800,000 for even a used 7 year old plane simply doesn't work in the budget. Building exactly what we want, fully-customized, for 1/4 to 1/3 the cost seems like the best option.

But a garage full of parts for a few years will quickly exhaust her patience with this.

You can do the tail kit in just 1/2 of a 2 car garage - whose car stays in, and whose goes out, is for you to work out. :)

We built two Cozy MKIV's in my basement. Cut out a section of floor to remove them when the time came. When there is a will, there is a way!

There is an RV-10 about 90% completed in Boulder. (Not mine)

Engine is on, most of the cabin is done. Wings and Fuselage are not attached to each other yet, but if you want to see under the skin for build quality, etc, he seems happy to show it to others.

Probably will be flying later this year.

Back