What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Stick Boots Vendor Sources

Lizard Lips

Anyone have any suggestions/preferences about a source for RV-14 Control Stick Boots? I?ve looked at 3 so far:
Classic Aero Designs ? Vendor of choice but 20 week minimum delivery time
Oregon Aero ? Seemed awfully expensive to me
Flightline Interiors ? No response to my inquiry yet.
Foam seat kit on order from Oregon Aero with local upholsterer to do the leather covers, carpet and side panels.
Joe
Longview, Texas
RV-14A 80% Complete, Engine mounted
Arion Aircraft Lightning LS-1 ? Flying regularly
2019 dues paid

Look, I don't want to be snarky or anything, but seriously, they can't be too hard to make. You'd need a sewing machine. Make a paper pattern and get enough material for a couple of practice ones.

Sewing is just like riveting: replace the aluminum with the fabric, the rivets with the thread, and the clecos with the pins. And then the sewing machine is just another handy tool.

Dave

I sewed my seats, side pockets, floor mats etc, by I purchased the boots from the xxxxxx. The stick boots are a bit more fiddly to get right. Best bet if you are going to start sewing is to begin with they sub cushions just using some cotton canvas. But yes, sewing isn't that hard compared to building the rest of the aircraft, especially once you have the technique down.
Anyway, I was pretty happy with the boots. Mine is a -7 so I'm not sure how they would go with the -14.

Tom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you?re having a local upholster do your seats it shouldn?t be too hard nor expensive to have him/her also make two boot covers. You should probably make the aluminum bases for the boots first and drill them for your attachment screws but the basic boot construction is pretty simple. Use zip ties at the top to secure the covers to the stick.

Hi Joe,

Just to clarify. We have always had a "Small Orders" schedule that is usually about 2-3 week lead time for smaller items like this. We set aside one day a week for this. I'm sorry if we didn't explain this option to you. Small orders are usually considered several hundred dollars, and is enough to allow for a single piece of carpet, stick boots, glare shield trim, etc.

I think the reason this didn't come up is because we were discussing a set of seats which would be too much to squeeze into small orders.

I have sent Flightline Interiors an inquiry but they have not responded. :mad: I'll give them another day or two and try again.

Joe
Longview, Texas

Busy for Oshkosh maybe? No idea, but Abby was usually really good about getting back on any inquiry. I would have her do the upholstery on any future airplane I build. Sometimes patience pays off. Good luck.

Back