What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SDS EFI in 2020

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
Many thanks to all the VAF members who placed orders with us last year and I hope everyone on VAF has a healthy and happy 2020.

So far this year, we have an order backlog of around 14 days presently. CPIs are sold out at this time, more PCBs are in process now at the loading and soldering facility. We expect those to ship to us around Jan. 21.

More EM-5s are also in process with the CPIs and we expect those to ship at the same time. We probably have nearly enough of those boards to carry us through to that time.

We have a good supply of CPI-2 components on the shelf.

Service Bulletin

We've seen a couple instances where temp sensor wiring has been tie wrapped to spark plug wires. This should NEVER be done and has led to ECUs being damaged. No EFI/ EI wires should ever be touching spark plug wires. Maintain at least 1 inch clearance.

Airflow Systems A/C Flywheel Drilling for SDS Magnets

Adrian Port from Tasmania was kind enough to put this page together on how he did his install here: http://tasrv10.com/?p=2822

We have a special drilling jig for these to compensate for the slight differences between the AFS flywheels with serpentine drive vs. the SDS or factory Lycoming V-belt drive flywheels.

Thank you Adrian.

Perfect Timing!

Adrian Port from Tasmania was kind enough to put this page together on how he did his install here: http://tasrv10.com/?p=2822

We have a special drilling jig for these to compensate for the slight differences between the AFS flywheels with serpentine drive vs. the SDS or factory Lycoming V-belt drive flywheels.

Thank you Adrian.

Great info to have and very timely. About to work with Penn Yan on the engine build (with SDS of course) and Synergy Air South on the Show Planes Cowl and AFS air conditioning. All of these "off the reservation" mods are time consuming and sometimes quite challenging, but hopefully, very worthwhile.

Krea, I have your dyno test harness done now. Just wanted to be sure you have the proper drilling jig for the AFS flywheel. Yours should have 3/16 holes. Let me know before I ship this other stuff.

Krea, I have your dyno test harness done now. Just wanted to be sure you have the proper drilling jig for the AFS flywheel. Yours should have 3/16 holes. Let me know before I ship this other stuff.

Outstanding customer support as always from SDS. Can?t wait to get this engine assembled and running.

Design1 Programmer Upgrades

We've had tremendous response for the Design1 programmer and have had a number of people ask if their older EM-5 ECUs can drive these.

The answer is yes if you send them in to be reflashed.

We have some discounted prices on these programmers for those who purchased complete kits after Dec. 31/17 and would like to upgrade.

People who own SDS EM-5 ECUs or re-branded EM-5 ECUs purchased prior to this date, we can still upgrade you to the Design1 programmers at a higher cost.

We are building as many of these programmers as our busy schedule permits so it may take a bit of time to fill all the orders. We appreciate your patience here.

For those who don't have the individual cylinder fuel trim, PC data logging or digital fuel flow output options on their earlier EM-5s, any of these features can be added to most (check with us) when your ECUs come back for re-flashing. Costs apply and for the fuel trim, you'll need to shuffle some wires on the injector drive harness (16 pin white connector). We can supply instructions and a pin extraction tool to do that job.

Design2 Programmer and Engine Temp Sensors

Given the amazing positive response for the slim, rectangular Design1 programmer, we've decided to delay the design process on the 3 1/8 round type replacement (Design2) until after the EM-6 ECU design is completed due to the likely low demand for this package shape in the majority of today's panels.

This will allow us to concentrate all available spare time and energy into the new ECU immediately.

On a second front, we've had two customers who've reported intermittent problems with their CHT sensors. These sensors typically see under 280F in flight and under 320F in heat soak conditions after hot shut down. The solder and potting compounds are both rated at over 430F but the reports say the potting compound was separating.

We've now gone to a single design for both air and CHT sensors where the brass body is drilled right through and the thermistor and potting compound project through the body forming a mechanical lock on both ends of the body to prevent separation.

We're also investigating increasing the curing temperature and duration during the manufacturing process to improve strength and temperature resistance.

I'll be evaluating a different potting product as well later this week and we'll settle on which one performs best after testing back to back.

If anyone sees intermittent CHT (ET) readings in the Gauge modes, let us know and we'll send out the latest type replacements at no charge. These are really only used for cold start and warmup enrichment phases. The ECU doesn't use them once the engine is over about 150F.

Be sure the sensor leads are supported from movement. Physical loading on the leads isn't conducive to durability.

The new sensors also use Delphi connectors which have proven to have better reliability than the white or gray connectors supplied in 2017 to mid 2019. We'll supply both genders to make the change there as well if you have the earlier type.

Last edited:
Website

One of my customers said he was unable to see our Home Page for the last couple of days. Sure enough, I tried to view it today and there was nothing there at all, not even a 404.

Was my fault after updating it a few days back, the FTP did something wonky and I didn't check after the upload. The server was showing the file uploaded but 0 bytes there.

Anyway, fixed now and no other pages were affected.

I think most folks here probably enter through the Aircraft Page so you may not have noticed.

Sorry if it inconvenienced anyone.

It's been a crazy week with ECU re-flashes and Design1 programmer upgrades.

I'm hoping to find time tonight to shoot some updated programmer pix in my studio tonight to get some current programmer photos up on the Aircraft Page tomorrow.

Thanks for all the support from our customers on the new programmer design. :)

We received our new batch of EM-5 ECU boards yesterday afternoon from the loading facility.

More 60mm throttle bodies are out of the machine shop and anodizing now too and we got a new shipment of coil packs, fuel pumps and injectors earlier this week. We'll be able to continue filling system orders again today and try to clear our backlog.

We shipped a Design1 programmer to Stein so they can finish laying out a few panels for customers too.

Have some new videos I'm working on in the evening that I hope people will find interesting.

Temp Sensors Take 2

I mentioned a couple weeks ago we'd be testing a new epoxy potting compound for manufacturing our temperature sensors and I finally got around to doing that this week.

I didn't have time to shoot all of the testing as it's been a busy week but here is a short clip: https://youtu.be/JzAK-cLOztw

We used a Canadian made brand before rated for over 400F but it became somewhat soft at over 300F and we wanted something better. I found a company in the US who makes all kinds of amazing high temp compounds and products and tried one of their solutions. Really impressed with how hard this stuff remains at high temps and how it sticks to things-even the Tefzel wire!

It's expensive and requires a high temperature curing process which is a pain but the results seem worth it. We want the best durability possible here so you have to do what you have to do and we'll be switching over to this product immediately.

I was up in Les Kearney's -10 a couple days ago and we shot some more video at altitudes up to 20,000 feet. We finally had a functioning wideband and also the PC data logging running. It will take quite a few hours to go through the footage from 3 cameras and edit it into something meaningful. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Full Speed Ahead

Our machine shop guys have been very busy over the last 2 weeks, churning out nearly 300 more CNC'd parts for EFI kits- mag covers, fuel pump frames, Injector housings, programmer faces and enclosures, throttle bodies, fuel pump covers etc.

We also took delivery of coil packs, fuel pumps and injectors that were ordered back in 2019.

Design1 programmer face plates just back from anodizing

Thanks to all those who've placed orders or partial orders while building. We see a big uptick in interest for RV-14s now.

Also have some more guys starting to prep for Reno already too. Folks are ditching the mechanical injection and mags for the winning SDS EFI/EI solution. We have a Reno Racer Discount Program for those so inclined. Excited to see some new entries out this year with SDS gear.

We'll be adding a couple new partners to the fold this year which will help extend our market reach some more.

Barry was working on software for some of the new EM-6 features this last week. That's a slow process but at least it's going well so far. You never know what roadblocks will crop in this phase though which can drag the process out.

Currently we can ship EFI kits in roughly 7-14 days.

Another RV-10 vid

Les took his -10 up to 20,000 feet to check fuel economy LOP. Did some in-flight data logging from the SDS ECU.

Full Garmin glass is awesome.

Hope folks find this interesting:

https://youtu.be/FgXH-1VJl44

I always learn something new every time I shoot or edit a video. The lesson here is that one person can't use 3 cameras and a laptop at the same time... Also makes it a nightmare to edit.:(

Les took his -10 up to 20,000 feet to check fuel economy LOP. Did some in-flight data logging from the SDS ECU.

Full Garmin glass is awesome.

Hope folks find this interesting:

https://youtu.be/FgXH-1VJl44

I always learn something new every time I shoot or edit a video. The lesson here is that one person can't use 3 cameras and a laptop at the same time... Also makes it a nightmare to edit.:(

I'll be very curious to duplicate some of those test points when I finish my install. I've got several flights logged at FL190 averaging 24.9nm/gal at 147-149 KTAS using mechanical injection and ignition.

1st Solo Flight N30BY - RV10 with SDS

Took first solo flight with RV10 (N30BY) with SDS dual ignition\fuel injection this week.

Engine was built by Continental (Titan ) stock IO540 D4A5. They built up the engine and tested with slave Magnetos\Fuel injection, performed 3 hour test run, stripped off Mag\Fuel injection system and shipped the engine to me.

Looking forward to exploring all the capabilities of this SDS system.

Thx to Barry & SDS for all the great support in getting this done.

https://youtu.be/WJ33Nn_bx84

Steve

Fuel Filters

We've had a number of customers say they have difficulty in finding space for the larger fuel filter (pre-pump).

An alternate setup is to place one smaller filter in each wing root outside the fuselage, between the tanks and the selector. This also may ease the mess caused when checking filters at annual since they are outside the fuselage.

If you decide to go this route, we can supply 3 small filters instead of 1 small and one large. Cost is about $95 more for the extra hardware.

Switches

We get lots of questions on switches and wiring layouts. A frequent question lately has been if you can use one switch for the twin coils and fuel pumps.

Our recommendation here is to use one switch for each pump and each coil power wire (4 switches in total here). This also allows easy verification at runup if these components are operating correctly.

Single switches present possible single points of failures, possibly negating the point of these redundant systems.

ECUs don't need power switches if not desired. Power for these can come on with bus power.

In all cases, fuse or breaker each device with an appropriately sized one.

We get lots of questions on switches and wiring layouts. A frequent question lately has been if you can use one switch for the twin coils and fuel pumps.

Our recommendation here is to use one switch for each pump and each coil power wire (4 switches in total here). This also allows easy verification at runup if these components are operating correctly.

Single switches present possible single points of failures, possibly negating the point of these redundant systems.

ECUs don't need power switches if not desired. Power for these can come on with bus power.

In all cases, fuse or breaker each device with an appropriately sized one.

Ross - in line with that subject, what about power for the oxygen sensor and its handler? Will the heated sensors burn themselves out when sitting on the ground powered without the engine running and doing setup? I'm thinking of tying that power to the main SDS switch (appropriately breakered, of course) so it's powered up when SDS is powered.

From experience, I like to have the O2 sensor on a separate switch/fuse. If the fuel ratio goes beyond limits (rich of 9.0, leaner than 16.0) it seems to default to error and only way I have found to re-set is power it off & reboot it. No effect on anything else.
As for when to turn it on, I've been told to best way to preserve the sensor life is to turn the O2 sensor on about 10 seconds after engine start, after the exhaust has heated up.

We often see limited WB O2 sensor life when running 100LL. Bosch also discusses premature failures as a result of thermal shock stemming from powering the O2 heater circuit just as the engine starts when condensation is present in the exhaust system and hits the sensor causing fractures on the ceramic circuit board inside.

The auto OEMs often wait up to 60 seconds (or a certain number of injection/ spark events) before powering up the O2 heaters after engine start to reduce this shock.

Orientation of the sensor is important too. Follow Bosch's guidelines here. Again the worry is condensation hitting the sensor internals during warmup.

It seems like a separate heater switch might be a good idea from this data.

In future systems, we hope to have software to control the heater power from the ECU as the auto OEMs do.

Edit: I was trying to find this article I put in my archives a couple years ago. This has a very good discussion on the subject: http://www.nzefi.com/bosch-lsu-wide...l-often-aftermarket-performance-applications/

Last edited:
Thanks - that's good data. So ideally I need to have the wideband O2 controller powered several seconds (or tens of) after engine start, once EGT's have exceeded the point at which water droplets are a possibility.

That's either going to be a solid-state relay with a timer tied to main SDS power, or group it on a switch that gets turned on prior to flight but not for start.

Perhaps something to put on the "wishlist" for the EM-6! :D

Meanwhile, something like this might just do the trick. If I tie this to a fuel pump output to trigger the timer then I don't have to worry about heating the sensor without the engine running - I won't be running the fuel pump more than a couple seconds before crank, set the delay for 60 seconds and be happy. That allows for fuel pump testing and system priming without triggering the controller - and I can play with the SDS all I want on the ground without the fuel pumps turned on.

https://www.amazon.com/Timer-Delay-Relay-Cycling-Trigger/dp/B01HNDOCKK/ref=sr_1_12?crid=2TNI6MQSZVZ98&keywords=time+delay+relay&qid=1582324159&sprefix=time+delay+re%2Caps%2C372&sr=8-12

This little unit even has a separate trigger and works down to 6 volts - so it could be powered on the main SDS power bus, and use the starter solenoid as a trigger to start the 60 seconds delay once the starter is energized. Or tie the trigger to the fuel injection relay that should be used to check the ECU boards just after start. Any number of possibilities exist for the trigger point.

Last edited:
Yes, if all goes to plan, there will be some new O2 sensor features on the EM-6.

It would be nice if they get that UL avgas on the rails soon too...

Hi

In my -10 I put a large filter in each wing root. They are easily accessible for service. It takes only a few minutes to pull & service the filters. I don't recommend that they be installed in the tunnel as access becomes an issue. I also mounted a small fuel filter on the firewall (after the pumps). It is also easily serviced.

YouTube and Updates

We passed a small milestone yesterday on our YT channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiyBZlgDHg2GvQfelECCGoQ )reaching 300 subscribers. :D I know many subscribers come from VAF and I want to thank you for checking out what we are doing and sending comments and ideas to us.
I see folks really like the RV-10 content and more info on the tuning angle is coming soon.

As time goes on, I'll work harder to improve the quality of the content and production. This has become my new night job and I'm finding it really interesting to learn new things about editing.

Currently, we're forging ahead now on new software which will find its way into the latest EM-5 ECUs as well as the coming EM-6s. This software will be released first to some of the Reno racers as they start testing soon. We'll use their feedback to shape further improvements. We've picked up a couple more racers to add for this season, so hope to see some more good results in Sept.

We're happy to have 2 time Gold Sport Champion Andy Findlay back with us again and we'll be helping him with a special project as well this year. Excited about this.

We're also fortunate to be involved with some new engine developments and want to thank those companies for choosing SDS to equip their engines. Hoping to show you some of those later in the year.

We have been blessed with working with so many great customers and fine people in this endeavor. Thanks to all of you for supporting us and sharing your project photos and flying stories- I've heard some great ones over the years and made some good friends along the way.

Forging ahead!

Last edited:
Good Morning,

You are not by chance on the Aero in Friedrichshafen this year?

Patrick

We won't be. Unfortunately we are so busy we can't afford the time to attend any Fly-ins, even on this side of the pond at SNF or Oshkosh.

The only event I regularly attend is Reno to support the multiple people running SDS there. That's often my only "vacation" for the year.

We did have a rep at Aero in 2018 showing our ECUs at his booth with his Wankel engines but not sure if he will be there in 2020.

Last edited:
Vid #81

A number of folks wanted to see more basic information on the system so there is a new video up showing some system components, basic programming theory and examples of how values are changed with the new Design1 programmer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6CbQ86J3x0

Let me know if you have any specific things you want to see about the system.

Thanks!

A thank you to all the folks who've placed orders with us this month. Very much appreciated that you chose SDS.

With that, backlogs have built up a bit and we're getting out to over 2 weeks build time at the moment with that likely going to over 3 weeks with the number of quotes I did last week.

We'll do our best to fill these in a timely fashion.

Work is still proceeding on new software development but that will be slowed a bit due to all these orders.

A thing to note on the fuel pump modules- we don't tighten or seal the black pipe plugs when we send out modules. This is to allow customers to choose alternate plumbing solutions for restricted spaces. We usually put a note on the modules to that effect but may have omitted to do that in some cases.

Check these before you power up with fuel in the lines.

So I had a thought this morning while reading through the install documentation again (getting ready to put in the injector bosses)...

I noticed an RPM switch function in the ECU. I know it doesn't do anything on a Lycoming, but what about using that signal to automatically trigger the O2 sensor power?

With some form of latching relay (looks like the timer relay posted earlier would work) you could set it up on the RPM switch, and the first time the engine goes over some value (e.g. 2000RPM) it engages the relay and powers on the O2 sensor. It would then stay on until power off.

Also... is there a recommended lube for o-rings on the injectors and other parts? EZ-turn fuel lube?

The RPM switch might work for that. I would try to set it lower than 2000 RPM though.

I use regular engine oil on the O-rings or a high temp grease should be fine too.

You may have older instructions. Be sure to use Locktite 246 on the adapter threads.

Last edited:
Nice :D:D

This is a really clean installation, pretty sure I will be copying most of it.

marvin1.jpg

That's Marvin McGraw's RV-14. We share lots of his installation photos with customers on how to do a clean installation. He does super nice work!

Wish I had known about the through the baffle setup for the injector lines----looks like a cleaner setup than what I have. Three less lines on top of the engine.

Got any close up shots of the bracket holding the injector lines and the ignition wires? Looks like a slice of alum angle sandwiched between the Adel clamps.

Wish I had known about the through the baffle setup for the injector lines----looks like a cleaner setup than what I have. Three less lines on top of the engine.

Got any close up shots of the bracket holding the injector lines and the ignition wires? Looks like a slice of alum angle sandwiched between the Adel clamps.
Hello Mike,
When you get the fuel block from SDS it includes a drill template. I just opened up four of the holes to accept the -AN3 hardware. I then used the drill template as a doubler. That is what you see on the frontside of the baffle.

The fuel line and spark plug holder brackets are aluminum scrap I cut to fit and adel clamps. I was worried that steel brackets may be required; however, none of the aluminum brackets have cracked and I?m at 400+ hours. The plastic spark plug wire holders were purchased at www.Jegs.com and bolted to aluminum brackets.

Thanks Marvin, appreciate you posting a response.

I already have the fuel distribution block that is mounted to the top case split, and all lines in place. That puts the fuel supply, fuel return, and fuel pressure lines inside the baffling.

I just think your setup is a lot cleaner------basically jealous I am.

We've had a few people ask about impact of the Wuhan virus on our operations lately.

So far, no impact on CNC machining and kit production but we have had some delays in getting parts out of some of our US suppliers over the last 2 weeks which could eventually impact kit completion. Parts are shipped apparently now so hopefully they show up this week.

We had placed volume orders on some components which we thought could be impacted, back in Feb. so have a good supply of most of these parts.

The back order volume is pushing new system deliveries out to about 3 weeks now. Doing our best to keep the orders going out while folks have time to work on their planes!

As always, thank you for all the support from VAF members.

All Lit Up

Here is Rusty Crawford's new panel powered up with the latest SDS Design1 programmer installed just below the glare shield. Very nice.

Rusty has all the latest EM-5 upgrades now.

Update

A number of people have contacted us, wondering if we are still operating at this time.

Yes, we are still producing and shipping parts, systems and providing tech support and system updates as before. So far, most of our US and Canadian suppliers are still able to keep us supplied and postal and courier companies continue to pick up and deliver. Our operation has not been impacted in any major way so far.

With testing on the new Rotax 912 kit almost complete now, we anticipate starting to machine parts finally around the middle of this month so we can start filling orders for those on our "list" in early May.

Many folks are saying they finally have time to work on their planes now. We can ship fuel system parts to keep your build going if you're close to that point.

Thank you to everyone for their continued support in these tough times.

Last edited:
Ross,
What?s the lead time on the starter ring gear/?flywheel? assemblies with customization (anodizing, and leaving out some of the lightening holes)? I just discovered my O-360 parts came with an O-320 starter ring?the holes are smaller and it won?t go on <facepalm>

On another note, what?s the general favored place for the case-mount fuel block on an O-360? Pick up the hole where the lifting strap usually goes and use two straps, or go just forward of that strap? I?m playing with my install now and they both seem to have advantages.

Thanks!

Ross,
What?s the lead time on the starter ring gear/?flywheel? assemblies with customization (anodizing, and leaving out some of the lightening holes)? I just discovered my O-360 parts came with an O-320 starter ring?the holes are smaller and it won?t go on <facepalm>

On another note, what?s the general favored place for the case-mount fuel block on an O-360? Pick up the hole where the lifting strap usually goes and use two straps, or go just forward of that strap? I?m playing with my install now and they both seem to have advantages.

Thanks!

Anodizing flywheels usually takes about 1 week. Getting flywheels with no lightening holes would have to wait until the next run which would be some time as we just got a fresh batch 2 weeks ago.

For the case mount fuel block, generally people remove the lifting eye. I think the line lengths allow you to move it one hole or so, depending on preference.

50,000 CNC'd parts

With some recent parts received last week, (partial sample shown here) we've now surpassed 50,000 CNC'd parts produced for our EFI kits over the last 20 years.

We have about 650 more in process now over the next 30 days including many for the initial batch of new Rotax 912 kits. Really hope we can start shipping some of those in May.

Exciting times. :)

With some recent parts received last week, (partial sample shown here) we've now surpassed 50,000 CNC'd parts produced for our EFI kits over the last 20 years.

We have about 650 more in process now over the next 30 days including many for the initial batch of new Rotax 912 kits. Really hope we can start shipping some of those in May.

Exciting times. :)

Awesome looking parts Ross!

Magnet Position Values Update

On Sept. 2/19 we published an SB on our Aircraft Page outlining a change in checking and setting the Magnet position parameter on EM-5, CPI and CPI-2 systems.

The original method described using a timing light to check and set this.

The revised method dispensed with this unpopular step (standing next to the spinning prop) after we had accumulated enough data from users in the field and checking some installations at our home base to have the confidence to recommend accurate numbers.

We recommended dedicating the top most Hall sensor and cable to feed the primary ECU in the case of dual ECU systems and the lower one to feed the backup ECU. Later, to aid in this, Hall sensor cables and and ECU D Subs were color coded green for primary and red for backup as several people had mixed up either the Hall cables or coil pack drive wires.

The fly in the ointment was that we transposed the recommended values in both the SB and documentation. We investigated after receiving a number of reports from users with large rpm drops on only one ECU during mag checks which should not have been.

The problem was masked in several cases where either the Hall or coil drive wires were transposed and all was well so it didn't appear to be a universal case. CPI-2 development and testing were mainly carried on our Conti O-200 engine which uses a different hall mount and magnet setup from Lycomings.

So the proper values for Lycoming engines are:

Single controller- 92

Dual controllers- Primary 97, backup 88.

If you are experiencing a minimal mag drop of 20-60 rpm on one controller and around 200 on the other, your Magnet Position values are likely transposed. Check and change them if so.

The SB has been corrected now and we'll be correcting the online and printed manual versions shortly.

Very sorry for the confusion we caused a number of people with this mistake.:eek: You were right, we were wrong.

Last edited:
Back