What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Torque Tube WD-1014C Part

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
On section 23-5 for the assembly of the torque tube collars, it references part WD-1014C. But I have no such part. I do have a black tube of the right diameter that is about 24 inches long. It's too long to fit on one side. I read on another builder site that perhaps this pipe is correct but needs to be cut to make the two WD-1014C parts (one for each side). Is this correct? To what length should these be cut to make the parts? There is no reference in the instructions at all.

TT.jpg

On section 23-5 for the assembly of the torque tube collars, it references part WD-1014C. But I have no such part. I do have a black tube of the right diameter that is about 24 inches long. It's too long to fit on one side. I read on another builder site that perhaps this pipe is correct but needs to be cut to make the two WD-1014C parts (one for each side). Is this correct? To what length should these be cut to make the parts? There is no reference in the instructions at all.

TT.jpg

I can remember my frustration when I got to that page, but my memory doesn't recall the specific solution. My best recollection is that I cut the bar in half. Dry fit afterwards and if it's still too long, you can trim to fit.

I do recall that when I had to install the assembly, I had to take the bolts out and compress the overall length to get it installed, then pull the ends back to position once in place. I think the first one took me an hour and the second took five minutes.

Same deal -- I had a moment of panic when I couldn't find that part, too. Then I figured it out like you did that it was that unlabeled 24"ish length of steel tubing. Just like Bob, I simply cut it half and no further triming is required because of the way the 1014 is fitted to the torque tube collars.

Yes, cut in half and the final length is made with the collars on and you are clicking the collars. Page 23-6 fig 4

I actually called Vans and they shipped me the part, which was the black 24" tube that you simply cut in two!

I love this forum!

Like the title says - I love this forum. I spent 45 minutes this morning going through all my bins looking for a WD-1014C powder coated tube of indeterminate length. I passed over that 24" black tube 5 or 6 times. "Nah... that couldn't be it. The manual says that it's powder coated." Every time I looked at the manual, my mind read WD-1014PC, not WD-1014C.

Frustrated.... take a break... eat lunch... check the forum. Ah ha! others have run into very similar frustration. Problem solved!

Back to building!

+1 - I didn't have trouble realizing what the part was (because the BOM that came with the kit points to that tube as "W-1014C makes 2"), but I was left wondering what length to cut it to - thanks!!

part labeling...

Clearly a line in the instructions would help in saying that "WD-1014C" is prepared by cutting a metal stock pipe (7/8" dia x 24") in two equal sections. Mine was a little less than half with still lots of edge distance. I think we assume a WD- part is powder coated, or at least "welded". This part is simply a metal stock part with no powder coat or welding, so not typical at all. We have high expectations for Vans for sure.

I painted mine... bad idea..

I constructed the assembly using the bare steel tube. Afterward, I painted it cuz it looked bad, and I figured it would rust.

THEN... as I started to assemble the wing, I had to remove the bolts at one end and shove one assembly towards the other, meaning I had to shove one of the assemblies over top of the paint I had added.. so I had to sand off the paint.. I guess you live and learn.

I had the same issue in identifying that part this week. Thank goodness for VAF!

Regarding painting of the tube, the instructions say it should be primed inside and outside before final assembly, which will be my next step in this section of the plans.

Dave

When in doubt

When in doubt, a read the forum! I spent an hour plus looking for these tubes today, all the while the 4130 stock was sitting on the bench.

This section in general has caused me great frustration! I accidently cut one of the pushrods an inch short today as well! Ugh.

Back