What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Co-pilot removable stick (Wiring connections)

Geeman

Well Known Member
I have an Infinity Stick grip with PTT and elevator trim on the co-pilots side. I remove it on occasion, and currently have spade connectors on the individual wires and it is a pain to remove them and stuff all the wires back in. Anyone know of a plug I could use for this. 5 wires if I remember correctly.

D-sub

Someone trimmed a DB9 connector and epoxied it into the stick and base to make the connection and apparently worked well. I've been considering doing it with a Dsub external of the stick. Bring the wire out of a hole near the base of the stick and just plug it into it's mate nearby.

Bevan

I put a DB-9 connector inside the shaft of the control stick.
Works great! Easily removable. I wrote up what I did on my web site.

IMG_3900-M.jpg

Male connector in the removable stick.

IMG_3902-M.jpg

Female connector down in the control weldment.

The Tosten grip I have uses 10 wires, but 2 of them are a shared ground, so all 9 wires are used.

I used a small circular 7-pin connector and a quick disconnect for the copilot stick as shown here:

001_zps95b2e2f4.jpg

016_zps226555fa.jpg

022_zpscd9ad216.jpg

I got the connectors from Mouser Electronics, check their stock to see what is current because these are pretty old.

I ordered my Infinity grips at airventure last summer and spoke with the owner to figure things out. He suggested:

http://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/products/1012-amp-connector.aspx

for this purpose. I am just about to order one, it looks similar to Pat's, but with more connections so it should support everything you can have on the Infinity grip.

Ouch! Look at that price. Be sure and get them from Digi-key or Mouser--they'll be a lot cheaper! But this is basically what I used--just get the number of pins that you need. Thanks, Mike. :)

Part # ????

I ordered my Infinity grips at airventure last summer and spoke with the owner to figure things out. He suggested:

http://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/products/1012-amp-connector.aspx

for this purpose. I am just about to order one, it looks similar to Pat's, but with more connections so it should support everything you can have on the Infinity grip.

If you can figure out the part number from Mouser or DigiKey let me know. There are about 50,000 connectors to pick from and this is not my expertise.

Thanks.

If you can figure out the part number from Mouser or DigiKey let me know. There are about 50,000 connectors to pick from and this is not my expertise.

Thanks.

For a two or three pin connector the Conexall Micro-Con connectors work well with a max diameter of 0.530 inches.

Easy to pick off this Mouser catalog page -

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/645/1504.pdf

The slightly larger (0.715 diameter) Mini-Con series on the same page work well for connectors in cables to Vans trim servos with up to 6 pins.

They are solder cup connectors so no special crimp tools needed and are weatherproof. The prices are very reasonable.

Last edited:

Thanks.

Kyle, as Gil said, go to page 1504 of the Mouser catalog, look at p/n's 502-8282-6PG-3DC and 502-6282-6SG-3DC (one is pins the other sockets). You can get the 5-pin variety right above these to save a few bucks if you like, but they are both the same size. This is the closest connector to what I got about 10 years ago. Here's a photo. Looks like it will work well for you if you want to go this route.

MiniCPC_zps602e3591.jpg

Here's a better picture:

MiniCPC2_zps428efb4c.jpg

Last edited:
Kyle,

We offer an 8-pin connector that should work for you. Everything is in the kit - pins, connectors, and strain relief. Super simple. Uses standard size 20 d-sub pins so you can use the regular crimper you probably already have.

There are many sizes and variants of this connector - we've done the work of figuring out what works best and this is your best bet for low-current connections on the stick.

http://www.verticalpower.mybigcommerce.com/connector-8-pin-size-20/

Hope that helps.

In search of plug part #

I used a small circular 7-pin connector and a quick disconnect for the copilot stick as shown here:

001_zps95b2e2f4.jpg

016_zps226555fa.jpg

I got the connectors from Mouser Electronics, check their stock to see what is current because these are pretty old.

I am deep into my wiring and have come to the point of choosing a connector for the co-pilot stick. I know there are several ways to accomplish this but I like Pat's solution best. I have been searching Mouser and Digikey for days now and I seem to be beating my head against the internet wall to the point my brain hurts. Can someone please help me find a 7 pin plug like Pat's above for the 20 awg wires that come with the newer Tosten military grips. Thanks in advance.

Back