What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A&P Recommendations in SoCal for Prebuy Help

OD71

Hello All - This is my first post. Apologies if I'm not following the rules in some way, I tried reading all the newbie stickies.

I'm new to VAF and I'm looking for recommendations for an A&P familiar with RV's in the SoCal area, preferably near Los Angeles to help me with finding a plane to buy, including looking over logbooks and traveling with me to do a prebuy. Also would want this person to perform the annual condition inspections as well. Thanks in advance and looking forward to being a part of the VAF community!

EDIT: Purchased a project RV-7A. Thanks all for the help!

Last edited:
You don't need an A&P to do this and an experienced builder owner operator will do. However every year you need a condition inspection and you will need an A&P to sign that off. Condition inspection is once a year and is not called an annual. You want to make sure you have that in the log book. You will remove the cowl, wheel pants, inspection covers, baggage bulkhead and have a good look.

The engine is the single most expensive item. You want to do a compression test. I am not an A&P and can do compression test and the tools and gauges are not exotic....

Log books on certified planes is a big dot deal for airworthiness compliance. Logbooks are important for an RV but there will not be any FAA AD's and compliance issues to check on an experimental. However there are Service Bulletins or Letters from Van they are usually voluntary but some do affect safety.

Engine and Prop likely come from certified world and there can also be AD's on Prop, Engine and Carburetor. You can look those up yourself. There is no requirement to comply with Engine and Prop AD's in an experimental aircraft. You may not see this in log book.

Flight test is likely the most important. You want an unbiased RV pilot to fly it and check basic handing and performance. Sorry I am not in your area but good look and don't get emotional about it.

Last edited:
So Cal RV pre-buy recommendation

I can vouch for Ed Holyoke based at Whiteman airport.. He owned a RV6A and built another one. I saw his red RV6A taxi by my old worn out Cherokee 140 one day at Whiteman and that's all it took. I started searching for a 6A and eventually found a nice one which until two days OK I owned for 15 years. He helped me along the way with maint suggestions on my plane. He knows RV's.

If you are still looking, I'm an A&P, DAR with 40 plus years experience. Have done pre-buys and conditionals for many RV's. Glad to help. I have an RV-7 and we can fly anytime also!! I'm out of Mojave.

Rick Aldrich
(661) 733-6649

You don't need an A&P to do this and an experienced builder owner operator will do. However every year you need a condition inspection and you will need an A&P to sign that off. Condition inspection is once a year and is not called an annual. You want to make sure you have that in the log book. You will remove the cowl, wheel pants, inspection covers, baggage bulkhead and have a good look.

The engine is the single most expensive item. You want to do a compression test. I am not an A&P and can do compression test and the tools and gauges are not exotic....

Log books on certified planes is a big dot deal for airworthiness compliance. Logbooks are important for an RV but there will not be any FAA AD's and compliance issues to check on an experimental. However there are Service Bulletins or Letters from Van they are usually voluntary but some do affect safety.

Engine and Prop likely come from certified world and there can also be AD's on Prop, Engine and Carburetor. You can look those up yourself. There is no requirement to comply with Engine and Prop AD's in an experimental aircraft. You may not see this in log book.

Flight test is likely the most important. You want an unbiased RV pilot to fly it and check basic handing and performance. Sorry I am not in your area but good look and don't get emotional about it.

Just to be clear, if you have a certified component on your aircraft such as a radio or brake then AD compliance IS required. I treat service bulletin's from Van's like AD since Van's nor the FAA can issue an AD against an experimental airplane.

Back