What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NGK vs. Rotax spark plugs

magiccarpet

Well Known Member
Patron
Would love to get your experience and opinions regarding the differences between the standard NGK DCPR8E and the Rotax (Bosch?) spark plugs P/N 297656.
Are there any benefits or disadvantages among them or do they perform equally in terms of combustion, CHT, reliability or anything?
Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts on that.

No experience with the Bosch plugs here, but at 6 times the cost of the NGK, I doubt I will ever try them.

No experience with the Bosch plugs here, but at 6 times the cost of the NGK, I doubt I will ever try them.

Exactly. I'll probably never know how the new Bosch plugs work because they're priced ridiculously high.

I replace all mine with new every annual. The originals are cheap enough I don?t even think twice about it. If the price goes up I might reconsider that practice.

My friend replaced his NGK's at 140 hours on the motor, at the 2nd annual. I think it was about 24 to $28 to buy all 8 plugs?

The used plugs looked practically new, there was no visible wear or rounding of the electrode edge surfaces, and the gap was still 0.026".

Bob has reached the conclusion that 200 to 280 hours on a set of NGK plugs would probably be no problem at all, although the price of the NGK's is so reasonable, just replace them if you're in there. No sense in being penny wise and pounds foolish, think about what your time is worth once all the cowling is already off.

Yeah... I kind of wish I had a use for those plugs in some other engine! We change them every annual, and the old plugs are still in find shape and would be still be usable in something else. At less than $3 each, though, we just change 'em.

I carry two of my used plugs in my on-the-road bag of spare parts just in case. That?s how I make use of the old ones.

I believe Magic Carpet?s original question was related to comparison between the Rotax plugs and the NGK plugs. We all like the NGKs for the aforementioned reasons. But, does anyone have any experience with the Rotax plugs?

Thanks a lot everyone for your comments. Based on them I conclude that there isn't any added value to go with the Bosch ones except to spend more $$.😉

Back