What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

beginner flight instruction KC area

hilltopper

I'm New Here
I have a son who is thinking about learning to fly and lives in the KC area, any recommendations on flight instruction and airports?

Every time I have been in the KC area, I went to Lee's Summit (KLXT). Lots of friends and nice people.

The City runs the FBO so I am not sure about primary flight instruction. If you want to learn RV Formation flying, the KC Flight Team has a formation clinic there in the spring.

I have a trip into KC late March for an EXPO. Plan right now is to fly into KLXT and rent a car.

Johnson - Wyandotte county line area, thanks, Johnson county probably good although Lees Summit migh work.

From that location, Downtown (Charles Wheeler) Airport would likely be the closest. ATD is a large flight school with several plane options. There is a retired TWA captain that has a one C-172 operation-McCullough Aviation-that does a good job as well.

Lee's Summit is a great airport but lots of traffic between where he lives and there. OJC has some options but it is a little bit of a hike south unless he is down that way for work already.

We live up north and fly out of Midwest National but there really aren't any flight schools there. Roosterville, just outside Liberty, is a classic small airport and the instructor there has a C-172 and does a great job. I learned to fly there over 30 years ago.

Good luck!
John

Thanks John, less time on ground and pattern due to traffic and closer practice area mean less time to private licence. He works further south do you know how busy the airports in Johnson county are?

I currently fly out of New Century Air Center, between Olathe and Gardner. Several aircraft rental options at New Century Air Service with instructors available as well.

Johnson County Executive airport has a flight school - Air Associates. A little costly being a flight school but gives opportunity for the structure to get it done. I got my IFR rating with them last spring. Neither are too busy and great to work with on student training, although downtown (Wheeler) will give good practice with a busy pattern, close airspace and a nice city view.

Thanks Brad, I am helping him figure out how to proceed and appreciate the help. I obtained my private and instrument at EWK back in the day, no traffic and lots of practice area.

Back