What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

brake line exit Fuze on RV6A?? Pics??

charosenz

Well Known Member
brake line exit Fuse on RV6A?? Pics??

I am debating on where exactly to exit the fuse with the brake lines on my RV6a. I have read a bit about the various choices of drilling through the gear weldments vs bringing the fitting out above the weldment vs bringing them out the center of the fuze over to the gear leg.

I would really appreciate some pics on how guys did this.

I am leaning on bringing them out about 1-1/4" up from the floor, about 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 inches forward of the spar.

The drawings do not show a real precise location.

oHY.jpg

Thanks!

Charlie

Last edited:
No pics, but I brought mine out just ahead of the weldment.

This made for a large custom made upper faring size. It would have been much easier to have drilled a hole in the front portion of the weldment. :)

No pics, but I brought mine out just ahead of the weldment.

This made for a large custom made upper faring size. It would have been much easier to have drilled a hole in the front portion of the weldment. :)

Thanks for the post Gil. Just to add to my understanding. If it exited forward of the weldment, couldn't you have the tube travel hidden in the wing/fuse void and then drop the tube down just behind the gear leg?

Thanks for the post Gil. Just to add to my understanding. If it exited forward of the weldment, couldn't you have the tube travel hidden in the wing/fuse void and then drop the tube down just behind the gear leg?

No, it was in the floor of the cockpit. I'm not sure about the size of the void in that location.

No, it was in the floor of the cockpit. I'm not sure about the size of the void in that location.

OK. The drawings that I show it exiting the side. There are several other fittings in this void, fuel, fuel vent, etc so I think there is room to do it.

I am sure others will chime in here on their experiences.

Thanks.

Charlie

My break line fitting exits the floor just forward of the gear leg on my -6A. I used a right angle bulkhead fitting to keep the profile low. This necessitated a small "blister" to be fabricated in the upper gear leg faring.

I grabbed some pictures from my Kitlog site for my 6A. I tried to keep the fitting as close to the front side of the gear leg and the lower longeron so that the fairing would not have to be so large. You are limited by the gear tower inside the aircraft.

Sorry I could not get the pictures to show, only got the links to work today.

display_log.php

display_log.php

Mine come out the side with a 90 degree fitting, the hose passes through a U notch in the intersection fairing and then down the front of the gear leg. I was able to get the hose to fit under the standard RV-Bits upper fairing.

If you have hanging pedals, you can do it like the RV7As and run the lines under the center floor cover.
Options exist----
email me--

Tom

I grabbed some pictures from my Kitlog site for my 6A. I tried to keep the fitting as close to the front side of the gear leg and the lower longeron so that the fairing would not have to be so large. You are limited by the gear tower inside the aircraft.

Sorry I could not get the pictures to show, only got the links to work today.

display_log.php

display_log.php

Paul,

thank you and everyone else for replying. I can see there are certainly several ways to skin a cat.

Paul, I just wanted to clarify what I am seeing in the pics. I can see two aluminum tubes exiting the fuse just forward of the gear leg weldment. They come from the Andair fuel selector valve, so I am suspecting these are fuel supply and return? or? There is another smaller wire or tube against the spar headed that way too but I cannot see where it goes as it disappears under the gear leg. Sorry to bother you but I am just wanting to make sure I understand what I am seeing....

Charlie,

You are correct. The two 3/8" lines are fuel supply and return to the tanks, going out the side wall.

The smaller line is the brake line and it travels down the center tunnel, across the front of the spar, and then out the bottom. It is nestled into the corner of the gear leg support and the side wall longeron. It is tight to install but you only have to do it once. Did it this way to minimize the size of the leg fairing on the outside.

PM me and we can set up a call if you want to discuss in more detail.

Paul

thank you

I appreciate the comments and pics.

I have decided to exit the side between the wing and fuse. While it seems that exiting the bottom through the gear weldment would be the "best" way to minimize the bump or mod of the gear leg faring, it means that this will have to wait until final assembly at the airport and I want to get on it while the kit is still at home. If there is room for the fuel supply and vent in this area, then the brake line should fit, al be it, I want to avoid being in too close the the fuel lines.

I still would appreciate pics of anyone who exited the side of the the fuse above the gear leg weldment with the line routed down the back side of the gear leg. I have this visualized in my head, but real-world-been-there-done-that is always better.

Thanks.

Charlie

Back