What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior panels backing material

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
For those that have made their own side panels. What material did you use for the backing/panel? I am planning some simple flat panels above the arm rest, mainly to help prevent arm freeze come winter. I intend to attach them with velcro. Aluminum would work, also thinking about ABS.

I have been thinking about making some for mine. I am planning to use the plastic sheet stuff trimmers use for auto door panels. I do not know the trade name for it but it is used in place of the cardboard type stuff used in the past. It can be glued, stapled, and sewed with an upholstery machine.

That sounds like ABS maybe. I'm starting to think that is the best bet. Maybe 1/8" thick. Downside is that it is not epsecially light. About 1/2 the weight of aluminum by volume. So 1/8" thick would be the same as 0.063 aluminum. Maybe 1/16 would work... I have also considered that material they use for yard signs "coroplast".

Try

Try kydex. It?s a thermo plastic that holsters are made from. Other companies also use it to make interior panels...

Try kydex. It?s a thermo plastic that holsters are made from. Other companies also use it to make interior panels...

Kydex is very interesting. Meets FAR flammability requirements as well. Downside, not easily available in the sizes we need. Most retailers appear to sell up to 12x12, suppliers sell full sheets. Need to do more digging. Thanks.

Kydex is very interesting. Meets FAR flammability requirements as well. Downside, not easily available in the sizes we need. Most retailers appear to sell up to 12x12, suppliers sell full sheets. Need to do more digging. Thanks.

Curbellplastics is a supplier of large sheets of kydex. https://www.curbellplastics.com/Shop-Materials/All-Materials/KYDEX-Thermoplastic-Sheet/KYDEX-100-Thermoplastic-Sheet#?Shape=CRBL.SkuSheet Shipping would be an issue for large sheets, But they could cut them down to make shipping easier.

Do you have any idea what thickness would be appropriate.

I fabricated simple leather covered Kydex side panels in my Rocket. Kydex is fairly heavy and if I had to do it over I likely would use .016 aluminum instead.

I fabricated simple leather covered Kydex side panels in my Rocket. Kydex is fairly heavy and if I had to do it over I likely would use .016 aluminum instead.

I feel like 0.016 might flex to much when trying to get the leather streched smooth. A light plus rigid material would be best. That is why that coroplex is intetesting

Corrugated plastic is widely used in aircraft interiors with one caveat: usually there is foam rubber glued to it then the cover is wrapped over the edges and glued. Otherwise ripples will show.

A friends RV-4 had fabric glued to corrugated plastic and it did not look very good for said reason.

Corrugated plastic is widely used in aircraft interiors with one caveat: usually there is foam rubber glued to it then the cover is wrapped over the edges and glued. Otherwise ripples will show.

A friends RV-4 had fabric glued to corrugated plastic and it did not look very good for said reason.

That was my plan, 1/8 or 1/4" foam

If you need a fairly rigid panel, expanded pvc is much lighter. Google it.
Kydex, in some types meets FAR burn requirements, but not all Kydex products do. If you need a flexible panel, .032 kydex works, as will .016 if if is supported. I used .016 for side panels Velcro attached to the inside walls of the cockpit, but not forward of the pilot.
Even materials meeting FAA flammability will emit large quantities of smoke and burn if heated.

What I did..016/.020 aluminum.

I used .016/.020 aluminum in my -4, and built armrests into them front and rear. All my rudder cables, flap mechanisms and wiring are completely hidden. All my interior is painted flat light grey, and they have held up very well.Total weight is maybe 2-3 lbs. I cannot post pics on here because my computer firewall does not allow hosting sites, but PM me an email and I can send pics.

Back