What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spoiled Rotten

Robert M

Well Known Member
While in the midst of helping my wife get some "Pinch Hitter" training at a local airport, I let MY BFR lapse. So, I set up an appointment with one of the local flight school instructors to renew. Went through the usual "ground school" chat and headed for the C-172. Again, the usual pre-flight. Taxied out, rolled onto the runway and started the takeoff roll. Oh my gosh, was I dragging the fuel truck? Was the engine not delivering full power? I was concerned we weren't gonna be able to even rotate the nose wheel before running out of runway.

AND......during the initial ground roll, I told the instructor; "in my RV, we'd be off the ground by now". And when I got the 55kts to rotate the nose wheel, I told him; "in the RV, we'd be above pattern altitude by now". Then there was the, (what felt like), endless climb to the maneuvering altitude of 3,000 ft. Jeez, I don't remember it taking that long back when I rented 172's.

Please understand, I wasn't trying to brag although it sure sounded that way. No..... it was more like I was complaining. I have been so spoiled with how quickly the RV-9 can get up on the mains, rotate for takeoff and climb to altitude. Spoiled Rotten!

In retrospect, I can see more clearly that things happen SO much faster in the RV and a greater need for due diligence is required for all aspects of operation.

Robert

Give me a shout in a couple years, we'll do the Review in your plane and keep the braggadocio at bay. :)

I remember the same affect of flying a 172 after having been in my RV7A. I was told by a observer that I was off the ground in 3 seconds. Probably true as I am light weight and the engine was IO360/10:1 pistons. When I later flew a 172, I felt like I could walk faster. Sure love the "grin." :)
Dave

Couple years ago when I got the -10 I went a few months without flying the -170.

Got in to go flying, pushed throttle forward and felt a moment of panic; I looked over at my CFI buddy and said "there's something wrong with the engine, we aren't going anywhere". He just laughed and said, "No, you are just used to the -10!"

Things feel like they happen in slow motion in the 170 ... but that is also part of the fun, low and slow!

I fly my Cessna 120 mostly and on occasion I get a little time in my Lancair.. Imagine the difference. But it always puts a smile on my face as I feel the G's..

Just wait until the local know-it-all comes by to scold you for yanking your RV off the ground and climbing at a dangerously high angle of attack.

I jumped over to the 9 forum and found this thread... Funny, I have to be careful flying my early S/N RV-12 in the pattern with a C172. Even with two 200#ers and full fuel and baggage I can easily catch a Skyhawk in climb and cruise.

Like Seabiscuit - get up next to them, look'm in the eye, and flash'm the RV grin as you go past...

Last edited:
Just wait until the local know-it-all comes by to scold you for yanking your RV off the ground and climbing at a dangerously high angle of attack.
I got told off by the Cessnock ARO for doing just that. Apparently turning crosswind (at 500AGL) inside the aerodrome boundary is frowned upon...:D

I split a $130 /hr 172 rental with a friend today... I strictly have experience in the friends 1320 # gross rated RV-12. Local airport is 1040 ft elev, most days, the grossed out RV-12 is a 6 second count before the mains are off the tarmac.

The 172 felt grossly lethargic on take off.

It also scared the p o o p out of me with how steep the landing descent is, compared to landing the RV-12. Add flaps on a 172, and it drops like a brick.

I was terrified, seriously. Obviously a 172 is safe, and takes a good hard landing, so many flight schools use them. A few schools use RV-12's, so the stoutness of the landing gear must be getting better in design on the 912 iS?

I have a 150, 172, Sling 2, my brother has an RV9A, and I'm building an RV9A. Each airplane has it's mission, and they do them very well.:)

I look forward to flying my RV-7 but until then I am content to maintain my proficiency in my 172. I admit I appreciate the comment made by a popular aviation video blogger regarding his 172. Compared to a faster plane he gets to log more time when he flies the 172! :D

Spoiled....

Apparently turning crosswind (at 500AGL) inside the aerodrome boundary is frowned upon...

Yep, I can get in 3 touch and go's before the Chinese trainers do 1....LOL

KRviator said:
Apparently turning crosswind (at 500AGL) inside the aerodrome boundary is frowned upon...
Yep, I can get in 3 touch and go's before the Chinese trainers do 1....LOL
Same here, it's a great tool to get a lot of practice in a very short time.

Here's some circuits out Mudgee way. 11 landings in around 37 minutes, with a climb to 1000AGL. My Dynon altitude alert is set at 500', so full power, hold the nose wheel off, climb at Vy and roll into a 30* climbing turn when the computer says "Approaching altitude". You can just see the end of the runway near the wagon-wheel-shaped garden in the lower left. Though it would seem I need to work on my track-keeping after liftoff...:eek:

32653636827_6f076ee64c_o.jpg

47543039352_0a6e82cc02_o.jpg

BFR Flight

I did a BFR with a friend in a C-150 with a tired O-200 last summer.

After the ground portion, I said lets go up to 4 or 5K and do some air work. He looked at me like I was going to rate him poorly. I couldn't understand why.

Then we took off and were climbing at between 100-150 fpm. It finally dawned on me that was normal performance.

I looked at him and said, yup, I understand now. Let's only go up to 2 or 3k to do the air-work so we can finish before dark. :)

Not at all like my 9.

I took off in a Scheibe SF-25c Motorfalke after flying my RV-6 for a year.

Climbing out over the upwind fence, I genuinely thought there was something wrong with it and I might end up decking it into a field. It took a few moments for me to run through the procedures and options before I thought, "Oh hang on, no wait, this is normal."

- mark

I often fly in the monthly competition in our local Aeroclub 172. I actually enjoy the short flights as the 172 sort of feels like a comfortable old armchair.

One issue is that I am always chasing the trim on the 172. I believe this is because I am used to the light elevator control forces (trimmed) on my RV and even trimmed the 172 feels heavy. One competition included stalls and I almost felt like I needed to put one foot on the panel so I could pull back with enough force to stall the **** thing. :eek:

Fin.
9A

Flight Review

My last 3 Flight Reviews have been in my RV9a. Can't you find instructors who will do that for you?
They were with 3 different instructors, all of whom jumped at the chance to see how the RV9a perfoms.

While in the midst of helping my wife get some "Pinch Hitter" training at a local airport, I let MY BFR lapse. So, I set up an appointment with one of the local flight school instructors to renew. Went through the usual "ground school" chat and headed for the C-172. Again, the usual pre-flight. Taxied out, rolled onto the runway and started the takeoff roll. Oh my gosh, was I dragging the fuel truck? Was the engine not delivering full power? I was concerned we weren't gonna be able to even rotate the nose wheel before running out of runway.

AND......during the initial ground roll, I told the instructor; "in my RV, we'd be off the ground by now". And when I got the 55kts to rotate the nose wheel, I told him; "in the RV, we'd be above pattern altitude by now". Then there was the, (what felt like), endless climb to the maneuvering altitude of 3,000 ft. Jeez, I don't remember it taking that long back when I rented 172's.

Please understand, I wasn't trying to brag although it sure sounded that way. No..... it was more like I was complaining. I have been so spoiled with how quickly the RV-9 can get up on the mains, rotate for takeoff and climb to altitude. Spoiled Rotten!

In retrospect, I can see more clearly that things happen SO much faster in the RV and a greater need for due diligence is required for all aspects of operation.

Robert

Free FR!

Yes, there are a few Flight Instructors out there who will give FRs in the RVs. My CFI has told me he'll do my FR for free as long as he gets to fly in my 9A.
Can't help but rag-on-him about buying a 180 instead of letting me help build his own 9.
But then again, if he were to build his own RV he may not be as willing to give me free FRs just for a chance to fly in mine...

a couple of instructors have given me a BFR in my RV9, three to be exact. it's a nice way to complete the requirement.

Anyone, anywhere feel free to contact me for a flight review in your RV if you are in a bind. Seriously. We can probably work something out that is not very costly, because I love to help, and I love our airframes.

BFR

YEA, I remember my first BFR in my 9A, After taking off, and getting up to about 2500ft and away from the Airfield, I asked my CFI, "Ok, what would you like me to do?" She promptly told me, (with almost excitement in her voice)," I want you to let me fly this thing!"... AND...
Towards the end of our flight, I was in control, we were about 3,000 feet AGL, at cruise speed and maybe 5 or 6 miles out, on a parallel course to the field, she reached up and pulled the throttle to idle, and said " OK simulate engine out, head back and assume best glide and see if you can make it back to the airport, " .. I did so, but had to tell her, "if I assume best glide, we will overshoot the airfield by about 5 miles"..hehe..she said.."Really?"..

Last edited:
This whole journey started for me when one of you throttle jockeys in an rv6 took off in front of me, while I was flight training in a c150.

The 172 felt grossly lethargic on take off.

It also scared the p o o p out of me with how steep the landing descent is, --------- Add flaps on a 172, and it drops like a brick.

I was terrified, seriously.

Man, I hear you loud and clear.

After selling the RV 10, we bought a 172 so my wife could finish up getting her license-----started 14 years prior in a Stinson.

She really never grasped why I hardly ever flew the 172.

Back