What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT EFIS Survival Tips

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
A famously skilled RV pilot has just asked to borrow your airplane. There are no issues with insurance, and you have no reservations whatsoever about giving him the controls. Yet, you are slightly worried because ? alas ? he has never operated the type of Glass Cockpit equipment you have installed. Afraid that he might run in to one of those little ?traps? that all complex software systems exhibit to the uninitiated, you take a few moments to brief him on the top ten ?tricks? you have learned that make flying with your personal EFIS easy and stress-free. We all learn short-cuts and signatures that help us more than the structured manuals ever could - now it is time to share those tips with the rest of the world!

If you have more than a few hours behind the GRT EFIS, how about listing a few of the items you?d share with the finest pilot you?ve ever met if he (or she) was going to fly your plane.

Here are a few to get started:

1) If you get lost in the pop-up menus, go ?hand?s off? for ten seconds, the button labels will go away, and you can start over from a ?clean? display.

2) Pushing both knobs simultaneously will sync the heading bug to the current heading instantly.

3) If you want to avoid altitude alerts when flying locally, just crank the altitude pre-select up to 15,000? or so before take-off.

Paul

4) Emphasize the first three buttons from the left and which screen each one takes you to.

5) Right knob for Baro, left knob for heading. If you really want to get advanced, show what pops up when each is pushed.

6) Tell them not to put their dirty fingers on the screen!

4a) There are several versions of each of the PFD, MAP and Engine pages. Fast taps will cycle you back around.

7) The GRT controls the nav stream to the autopilot. Make sure they can get to and select the source and also select heading or Enav mode.

8) The PFD displays magnetic heading, the map screen displays GPS track.

9) They need to know how to acknowledge/inhibit messages and alarms.

Not completely accurate, it is all depends on how it is configured. My PFD displys track.

4a)
8) The PFD displays magnetic heading, the map screen displays GPS track.

9) They need to know how to acknowledge/inhibit messages and alarms.

- For some of my friends, AOA seem to generate most question and concern, specially that is not always showing and at times comes on.

- If A/P is going to be used, difference between ENAV/GNAV may need some discussion.

- Split screen would be a good topic depending on configuration and number of screens.

- Color coding (along the altimeter tape, airspeed) and just the back ground could deserve some discussion and orination

- Flight path marker on PFD and the Green Arch on Map page also generates some question among my friends that have not flown behind glass screen.

- How to look up information on airport, etc on Map page.

Look outside...

the instrumentation hasn't changed since the Wright brothers.

Get them familiar with the primary group buttons. PFD, MAP, ENG and how to get back to the basic primary flight display.

Not desirable but in a pinch, they can give the unit the two finger salute (press and hold the two outer, white buttons for four seconds) and the unit will reboot to the default page, most likely the primary flight display (PFD) (your configuration may differ).

Look outside...

Good thread Paul.

Best regards,

Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics

What a great thread!!!

Before trying to make a change in nav or auto pilot, look at the PFD to see what is annunciated. PFD upper left corner and bottom middle. Try your changes and see if there was a change in annunciation.

And I think Carlos just gave us the EFIS version of "fly the airplane"..."LOOK OUTSIDE":D

Jeremy Constant

Survival tip, maybe. Everyday use, sure.

Okay. Here's a senario. GRT Sport SX or Horizon HX, any GRT EFIS for that matter. Using an X96/95 gps, flight plan waypoint to waypoint, vor to vor, to an airport. Activate an approach in the X96/95. Arm the Synthetic Approach on the GRT EFIS.

The GRT EFIS will automatically set the synthetic (HITS) approach to the runway (RWY) from the flight plan. You can fly it by hand or turn on the two axis autopilot with vertical steering and let "George" fly the approach.

Disclaimer: This is not an instructional lesson and should be practiced with extreme awe and amazement. By no means is the intent to bore you or bring ill-will between you and your (hangar) neighbor.

Have fun, fly safe!

Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics

Okay. Here's a senario. GRT Sport SX or Horizon HX, any GRT EFIS for that matter. Using an X96/95 gps, flight plan waypoint to waypoint, vor to vor, to an airport. Activate an approach in the X96/95. Arm the Synthetic Approach on the GRT EFIS.

The GRT EFIS will automatically set the synthetic (HITS) approach to the runway (RWY) from the flight plan. You can fly it by hand or turn on the two axis autopilot with vertical steering and let "George" fly the approach.

Disclaimer: This is not an instructional lesson and should be practiced with extreme awe and amazement. By no means is the intent to bore you or bring ill-will between you and your (hangar) neighbor.

Have fun, fly safe!

Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics

I've done it this way many times - pretty cool to watch. As long as it doesn't spill my coke or wake me up, it's doing just fine.... :p

Way cool !

Have fun, fly safe!

Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics

I just "discovered" this would work on my setup a few days ago. Until then, I had not gone to the Advanced Menu for setting up the autopilot output. You must do this to get the complete "route" sent to the EFIS.

But once I set everything correctly, it was "way cool" in that the Garmin "approaches" know about the waypoints for ILS as well as GPS approaches **AND** they know where the runway endpoints are.

Gave it a try as an "assist" and nailed the the practice approach (with a safety pilot.)

Having this additional information in the cockpit definitely has the potential to step safety up a few notches when properly used.

And it adds another comfort factor for me!

James

I'll have to try this with my Horizon and Garmin 480. I don't have the "V" part on my Trutrack AP, so I can't fly a fully coupled approach

My AP is wired to get input from either the 480 or the EFIS. I usually drive the AP directly from the 480 and have the approach displayed on GRT Map (with the HSI overlay if I'm doing a VOR or ILS approach). I'll have to try it with the synthetic approach and let the EFIS driving the AP.

Since the AP can handle the vertical guidance, I fly the inbound leg by hand and just use the needles to stay on course.

One thing that would help would be able to see the Runway on the EFIS sooner. (Maybe its one of my configuration settings) Most of the time the runway is just a small black spec until I'm very close in on final.

Interesting idea, the only thing I'd caution on this, assuming you want to fly a published approach, is that the synthetic approach takes you down the runway centerline and many approaches other than most GPS and ILS approaches are off the runway centerline. Many approaches also have step downs. I program in all the approach points as a flight plan and manually dial in my decent altitudes and check the decent rate using the vertical velocity vector. No IFR GPS in my plane, just the GRT internal GPS which works great. The other nice thing about putting the approach in as a flight plan is that you get the gps overlay as you fly the needles in NAV mode.

Last edited:
I guess I'm not loading it correctly.

Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics

I tried this today and when I armed the SAP, the EFIS said "there is no airport at this position" and it gave the lat/lon of the IAP that was loaded from the 496 approach tab. Yes, I had the airport as the final waypoint. Don't know what I did wrong.....Any thoughts? Thanks!

Jon D.

Older software.

I tried this today and when I armed the SAP, the EFIS said "there is no airport at this position" and it gave the lat/lon of the IAP that was loaded from the 496 approach tab. Yes, I had the airport as the final waypoint. Don't know what I did wrong.....Any thoughts? Thanks!

Jon D.

Hi Jon,

Sounds like you may be running older software that does not support this feature. I think all you would need is an update. GRT EFIS software is free on the grtavionics.com site under Support, Software.

Best regards,

Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics

Preflight the flight

So your stick 'n rudder buddy wants to take your (TAA) Technically Advanced Aircraft around the patch. Well, before you send her off in into the wild blue with your pride and joy, show her what it's going to look like by playing back a flight recording (DEMO) on the GRT EFIS.

Let her sit in the seat, play back the flight, and practice with the EFIS til she's comfortable. This way she can push the buttons and turn the knobs, just like the plane was flying and become more familiar with your Technically Advanced Aircraft. Its not a simulator, but then again...maybe it is. If not a simulator, a great learning platform that burns very little fuel.

Have fun, fly safe,

Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics

Did ya know if a screen fails to boot properly, you can press the far left and far right soft keys together for a few seconds and it will reboot without having to shut down the power on all the avionics.

I have had a screen either fail to boot or sometimes hangs up during a boot and had to do this.

High and hot.

Do you remember a flight where you were arriving at your destination airport only to find you were too high and too fast to make a comfortable descent? It happened to me once.

But now I use the GRT Avionics altitude intercept arc whenever I'm descending into an airport. The altitude intercept arc is a green arc that radiates from the aircraft symbol on the map pages.

To set the altitude intercept arc use the altitude bug in the PFD group and enter a selected altitude, for example, pattern altitude. Fly the aircraft so the green arc on the map is just short of the airport. When the aircraft arrives at the location on the map indicated by the green arc, the aircraft will be at the selected altitude. In this example, pattern altitude.

High and hot...never again.

Fly safe and have fun!

Regards,

Carlos Fernandez
GRT Avionics

Great tip Carlos - I use the "green banana" all the time to make sure i am going to get under the shelf of Class B, or make a crossing restriction at an intersection as well - it's not just for airports! ;)

more details on Class B shelf please

Paul, please elaborate on how you use the green banana to arrive below a Class B shelf. Thanks

Paul, please elaborate on how you use the green banana to arrive below a Class B shelf. Thanks

If Paul doesn't mind;
Simple, just as the any other destination like an airport set your alt bug to the altitude that is of the lower class B shelf and change the attitude of the plane in such way that the arc is right before the shelf that is displayed on the map. Changing the attitude/speed will change the arc showing where you will arrive on the map based on the altitude you have set.

I am sure Paul can explain it better though :)

If Paul doesn't mind;
Simple, just as the any other destination like an airport set your alt bug to the altitude that is of the lower class B shelf and change the attitude of the plane in such way that the arc is right before the shelf that is displayed on the map. Changing the attitude/speed will change the arc showing where you will arrive on the map based on the altitude you have set.

I am sure Paul can explain it better though :)
He can try, but that is pretty clear to me (and exactly how I use it) :cool:

I've seen the green arc on the PFD but I've never noticed it on the map page. I'll look for it now.

I've seen the green arc on the PFD but I've never noticed it on the map page. I'll look for it now.
Interesting as I have never seen the arc on the PFD and I suspect you are looking at some thing else unless have the newest SW version and they are displying it on that.

If you don't see it on the map page, it means your map range is short for the altitude/attitude of the plane to show it on the map. Make the map to 35 or 50m range and point the nose down. You will see the arc.

Good luck

Back up your settings

I just had a failure of one of my GRT units, seems there is a bug in the old operating system.

Although GRT fixed the problem at no charge-----:D:D:D-----there is still going to be the time and trouble to re-configure all the settings again, because I did not have the settings backed up.

Actually, I did not even know you could back up the settings, but as usual, Carlos educated me.

Here is how to do this backup.

Go to the setup menu, go to display unit maint., go to EFIS settings backup, choose backup all settings.

And, here is an idea I got from Scott Card------I will start carrying a thumb drive in the plane at all times, it will have the backup settings for both screens, and the most current software.

And as you saw, I have not only one, but two usb keys with valid software and my backups on them in the airplane. I'm glad you're getting it worked out.

I usually fly with two thumb drives installed. One for the HX has approach plate data; on for the HS provides map data, specifically state outlines. I'm a little concerned about the drives having no mechanical support other than the USB socket itself. Anyone have any trouble with them coming out, or a solution to keep them from doing so? So far mine have stayed in, but I wonder about it.

velcro?

Hi, I just recieved my GRT Efis and I am a newbie. My USB port is in the corner of the unit. Maybe a velcro strap at a 45 degree over the top of the stick and attached to the sides?

I usually fly with two thumb drives installed. One for the HX has approach plate data; on for the HS provides map data, specifically state outlines. I'm a little concerned about the drives having no mechanical support other than the USB socket itself. Anyone have any trouble with them coming out, or a solution to keep them from doing so? So far mine have stayed in, but I wonder about it.

I keep a thumb drive in each USB port (panel mounted) for each DU all the time - no problems with vibrations in 1600 hours....

And me too as I always have one plugged in that records flights/engine info. For those who may not be as familiar, you can setup your system to start recording automatically either based on speed, RPM or other factors. It is a good tool as you can always go back and review if any thing is not normal.

Hi Bavafa, how long is the record time that you get before it starts to rewrite the memory

You can record as long as you have disk space in your momory stick. Each flight/recording gets a file name that has that day date and plus a number if it is a long flight. I have a 4G memory stick that that can go for many hours of flying before I have to clean the old files.

I believe I have set mine up to start based on RPM, but you can set it up to start based on ground speed as well.

Flying with usb drives inserted...

I usually fly with two thumb drives installed. One for the HX has approach plate data; on for the HS provides map data, specifically state outlines.
Why have the state outlines on a thumb drive instead of installed in the internal memory?

Why have the state outlines on a thumb drive instead of installed in the internal memory?

Why have ANY data on the thumb drive, instead of internal memory??

What if something critical is on the thumb drive, and the drive comes loose during flight:eek:

What a great thread!!!

Before trying to make a change in nav or auto pilot, look at the PFD to see what is annunciated. PFD upper left corner and bottom middle. Try your changes and see if there was a change in annunciation.

And I think Carlos just gave us the EFIS version of "fly the airplane"..."LOOK OUTSIDE":D

Jeremy Constant

I constantly quote Carlos with that saying - see Carlos I am not the only one that remembers your comment. (LOL)

I have the GRT backups on thumb drive also in the plane.

Last edited:
Why thumb drive?

I have state data in the internal memory on the HX; GRT's web site says the HS doesn't have enough internal memory, so put that data on a stick. I have never tried to load it into internal memory, it's hardly critical.

Note Added: I really like the GRT stuff. But, like a lot of small companies run by engineers, their documentation tends to be way behind. For example:
1. I didn't know I can set up to record flight data automatically. I thought I had to do it manually, each flight - just as described in my manual
2. Nowhere is it mentioned that the HX analog inputs have software-selectable pull down resistors. No need to run power supply wires to flap position sensors, etc.
3. Nowhere is it mentioned that the HX can send processed xm weather data to the HS via a high speed serial line.
4. Finally [Carlos take note] the on-line Horizon manual, in the FAQ section, still says that the SL-30 is the only nav supported (wrong), and also contains a lecture on why you should not buy an autopilot from an EFIS company! [GRT has been selling their own for well over a year now.]

Last edited:
We're growing...

I really like the GRT stuff. But, like a lot of small companies run by engineers, their documentation tends to be way behind.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the kind words and input. You are correct the documentation has been behind, always. Katie and Ben at GRT have been a great help in this area and we hope the documentation will catch up soon. You can already see the fine work they have been able to do with documentation.

You know what you mean when you say "small companies", everyone in the company is doing multiple duties to make things happen, its exciting that way but certain things can be slow to come.

Exciting times ahead!

Regards,

GRT Autopilot Basics

Since the autopilot is so easy to use, and is such a big workload reducer, I would probably show a new guy how to use the S&L feature of the GRT autopilot.

It is as simple as:

1. Press the autopilot engage button. The autopilot will hold heading and pitch attitude. You can let go of the stick now!

2. An autopilot menu will pop up on the EFIS. Press "S&L". Not only will he airplane now hold the altitude you are at, the heading and altitude bugs will be set.

At that point you can turn the left (heading select) knob to steer yourself around the sky.

To turn off, just press the engage button again.

I really like the ability to reduce my workload in this way, especially in an unfamiliar airplane where I might be searching for a switch, or checklist, etc.

Greg Toman

Greg- welcome back to VAF...nice to see you here! For those that may not know know, Greg IS Mr.GRT (ok Todd too) and truly the "horse's mouth" on these systems. I'm sure folks will welcome your input/support....I just hadn't seen you around in awhile! :)

Cheers,
Stein

A documentation question from a new user

... which may be particularly relevant after KatieB's unfortunate departure.

I'm preparing an all-new drop-in replacement panel: single HXr/single AHRS, Mini-X, Trio Pro-Pilot, Trig remote comm and XPDR, EIS-4000. Most of this stuff is pretty well documented on the GRT website at present, but there is a disclaimer -
"Many features are described in the Horizon HX User Manual."

Scrolling through that manual, I get the impression there may be some important differences or "irrelevances" in there, too, for the HXr user. (Keep in mind I have not even powered-up my HXr yet, and am just beginning to acquaint myself hands-on with the Mini. The only GRT gear I am fully familiar with is my 20 year old EIS-2000.)

Are there sections of the HX manual that I need to be careful about assuming they cross over to the HXr? Anything in there I should disregard?

I don't want to make this harder on myself than it needs to be. Looking forward to the time when GRT documentation is stand-alone and up to date, but I know it's a tall order. They should probably just send Widget or Chatterbox to stay with me for a month whilst I cut my teeth on this stuff.

Thanks for any advice on this.

-Stormy

Hey Stormy, while some of the menu structure is a bit different I don't think you'll find any overall different functionality between the two. CB may chime in hear too. He's up to his neck in wiring in another HXr/Mini right now with another right behind that one.

A month at Hop-Along this time of year sounds cold. Now in the spring, that may sound pretty good.

Last edited:
Jump in .. the water is fine!!

Hey Stormy, while some of the menu structure is a bit different I don't think you'll find any overall different functionality between the two. CB may chime in hear too. He's up to his neck in wiring in another HXr/Mini right now with another right behind that one.

A month at Hop-Along this time of year sounds cold. Now in the spring, that may sound pretty good.

Stormy.

You have the "hard part" under your belt already! The EIS. :)
The HXr + Mini combo is a good one.
The "bad news" about the documentation that is "good news" is that there are additional features that work that haven't been documented yet.

As Widget mentioned, I am knee-deep in a couple of installations but feel free to call or drop by any time. You can sepe of what and how, along with schematics. You can ask questions all day and even get a cup of coffee! :)

CB .... on coffee break. :)

well alrighty, then...

I will print out the HX manual and have a go at it.

There WILL be a fly-in at Hop-Along this spring/summer. A tradition that needs to be resurrected. New bride is most enthusiastic about seeing that happen. All Team AeroDynamix and SERV friends invitied, along with the public. Date TBA. If I recall correctly, we even had Louise Hose visit once, in a former (Virginia) life. Is that right??

James, your kind invitation may be too much to pass up. The problem is getting to KCUB after taking the RV OTS for the upgrade. I'm doing absolutely as much as I can in the basement ahead of time, waiting for the last minute and warmer wx before ripping the present guts out and getting in elbow-deep in squawks for the spring flying season (Something about a nose-gear bolt...) By the time I commit to the panel swap, I will be proficient in the Mini-X, the EIS-4000 and red cube, and the Pro-Pilot, from having installed them ahead of time and flown with them. I'm unabashedly jealous of those who have buddies near at hand who know about this kind of stuff. Definitely going it alone, here.

Tach yellow arc

This is a great thread with lots of information.

I have been reading the books etc. and cannot see how to set the yellow arc on the tach on my GRT EFIS. I want to set it for the rpm range to avoid in cruise. Any quick pointers?

Thanks.

John,

Check the Setup manual for the HX or Sport.

It is in Graphical Engine Display Setup.

Jim Butcher

This is a part answer to the original question. If you cannot find the answer to something in the HXr manual, then look at the HX documentation. Then at the HS. Chances are that they're all the same if the newer manual doesn't have it.

PS You will love the GRT-Trio combo. I have electric trim (-10) and use the Trio to trim even when hand flying. At cruise speed I have it adjusted to run very slowly.

GRT/Trio

Bob - I'm sure it will work fine, because the manufacturers both assured me it would before my Trio upgrade and GRT EFIS purchase. But it's confusing me a bit looking at all the autopilot config settings in the HXr menu, as I wonder "is this a setting I need to bother with if I don't have the GRT servos?" The Trio is so capable by itself, but I want to play with coupled and synthetic approaches even as a VFR-only pilot. Hard to figure how much the EFIS should be asked to command vs. letting the Trio do it - and what settings are apropos (both the A/P and EFIS have programmable and somewhat critical gain settings, for example).

Suggestions for me?

-Bill

Bob - I'm sure it will work fine, because the manufacturers both assured me it would before my Trio upgrade and GRT EFIS purchase. But it's confusing me a bit looking at all the autopilot config settings in the HXr menu, as I wonder "is this a setting I need to bother with if I don't have the GRT servos?" The Trio is so capable by itself, but I want to play with coupled and synthetic approaches even as a VFR-only pilot. Hard to figure how much the EFIS should be asked to command vs. letting the Trio do it - and what settings are apropos (both the A/P and EFIS have programmable and somewhat critical gain settings, for example).

Suggestions for me?

-Bill

I'd suggest you go thru all the setups in the EFIS autopilot controls. In the EFIS command mode they do mean something, even though the Trio is already set up. I think you'll find after a while that while the Trio is not difficult to operate directly, it is even easier to operate using the HXr. Bigger knobs, bigger print, just easier. Also as a VFR pilot you may use "Heading" quite a bit, and just steer it with the heading knob. Only the EFIS can do this (The Trio can do "ground track").
That said, do put in a Three pole, double throw switch to switch both the ARINC (2 wires) and the RS-232 (one wire) between the EFIS and the GPS. Just in case one goes belly up.

That said, do put in a Three pole, double throw switch to switch both the ARINC (2 wires) and the RS-232 (one wire) between the EFIS and the GPS. Just in case one goes belly up.

One caveat though------be sure the EFIS and the GPS are set for the same data stream output. Baud rate, NEMA (or other) code, secret handshake stuff.

BTDT............

Back