What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel training for Seniors

waltb

Hello, I have zero hours flying a tailwheel but many hundreds in nosewheel. I am north of 65. In yalls opinion what is a max age to start tailwheel training? Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving.

max age

Hello, I have zero hours flying a tailwheel but many hundreds in nosewheel. I am north of 65. In yalls opinion what is a max age to start tailwheel training? Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving.
Max age? I'd say about 119 - if you are older than that I recommend not trying to learn tailwheel. :D

It's amazing the amount of fear or concern when it comes to flying/handling a conventional u/c flying machine!
It's just another skill to learn/practice, no big deal at all.
When I bought my RV (conventional u/c) I'd had a total of 100 hrs T/W experience (7ECA, benign machine) I went for my very first fly in a 275HP Rocket with the owner, it was a pussycat but chewed too much gas. Next was an RV7, nah didn't like the squashy side by side, finally test flew the plane I bought, an RV8, one of the easiest planes I've ever flown in 40 years. Jumped in it and flew it home having never looked back -)
So don't be intimidated by a T/W plane, just get some good advice and enjoy a far better handling machine than one with the training wheel up front!:D

Last edited:
It's not a bad question really. Age does have an effect on our reflexes and response times. But, I don't think one can say after a certain age one must not try to learn a new motor skill.

In my mind, the only way to know is, take some lessons. Be honest in your self evaluation and if the skills are coming to you...great, keep moving forward until the skills are were they need to be for your flying style.
The tail wheel skills needed for a RV-7 ARE NOT the same for a Pitts ;)

Michael is correct...not all tailwheels are equal when it comes to the skills required to fly them safely.
I've done many tail wheel checkouts over the years on many different types. Real loosely in my opinion RV's are some of the easiest to master, right with them are Cubs and Citabrias.
Moving up a notch or two are older Piper Pacers and Luscombe 's they demand a higher level of skill. Nearing the upper ladder might be an early Pitts.
Long and short don't think for a moment that because you have lots of time in RV's that you'll be able to jump into a Pitts and safely operate it.because you won't, it's much more demanding.

Moving on to the age question..I've checked out many older folks on tailwheels and it's been my experience that it takes much longer, sometimes twice as much time to learn and the older pilot does not retain his skills anywhere near as well after periods of inactivity.. That being said there is absolutely no reason an older pilot can't learn to fly any tailwheel aircraft given enough time so add some fun to your life and learn some new skills....at the very least it will improve your stick and rudder skills and make you a better pilot.

I don't know if this will help or not---but I "was" 65 when I was gonna get an RV 8. But first I needed tail wheel training. I got it in a RV 6, and the instructor insisted I make 3 point landings. Well I was having a heck of a time with that---just couldn't seem to do it. Then finally, I thought to myself, why don't I just mentally try and land the tailwheel first before the mains. Well, that worked perfectly as when the tailwheel hit the ground, the mains were only about an inch above (the ground). Then I hopped into my 8. There are a lot of posts here about landing an 8, but it seems most guys wheel land them, or wheel land, tail low. I've found that to be my case---always wheel land, and don't even try to 3 point anymore. ( I "believe" the 8 fuselage is a little longer than the 6, and thus why its harder to 3 point them.----Ok, I know I'm gonna get flack here from all the 8 drivers out there, but this is just me---I now have about 900 hours in my 8.

I'm now 77,:eek: and still flying. Hope this helps.

That's the way i land my 8, tail low mains first, gives full authority of the plane especially in gusty X-winds -) Also avoids undue impact damage on the rear bulkhead and tail assembly if you stuff up a 3 pointer.

Limber up your ankles on every approach. Wiggle your feet. Seriously.

Also, check the brakes on the approach. If one side is flat it's worth knowing. Maybe not do this in wet freezing weather, though.

Dave

Age?

My first hour of tail wheel time was at 59. Have over 300 now.

Best thing you can do is make sure you're sitting at the right height.

Recently added a 1" thick pad of Ergo kneel "handy mat" between the seat cushion and the little foam piece at the bottom of the seat well.

Makes all the difference what you can see! Landings are easier now that I have the right sight picture. Still have some clearance under the canopy.

Like mentioned above, these RV's are fairly easy to fly and land, even though they have the small wheel in the correct location.

The rudder provides plenty of correction for x-winds. Have done three-pointers in x-wind as well as wheel landings.

Winds will teach you quick, no relaxing on the controls until tied down.

Landed at Battle Mountain, NV last summer, when help arrived to tie me down while I sat inside fighting the winds. Great big guy held my wing down to stop the gusts from lifting it. That was a landing and taxi that will be remembered for a long time....One heck of a dust storm could be seen heading for the airport, winds were over 32kts with gust over 40+. Winds became much stronger once on the ground, during the taxi. KBAM 7Jun2019 landed at 1233 hours. Very impressed with the handling that day.

Have fun & be safe!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Give it a go with a good instructor. (Pitts)

Michael is correct...not all tailwheels are equal when it comes to the skills required to fly them safely.
I've done many tail wheel checkouts over the years on many different types. Real loosely in my opinion RV's are some of the easiest to master, right with them are Cubs and Citabrias.
Moving up a notch or two are older Piper Pacers and Luscombe 's they demand a higher level of skill. Nearing the upper ladder might be an early Pitts.
Long and short don't think for a moment that because you have lots of time in RV's that you'll be able to jump into a Pitts and safely operate it.because you won't, it's much more demanding.

Moving on to the age question..I've checked out many older folks on tailwheels and it's been my experience that it takes much longer, sometimes twice as much time to learn and the older pilot does not retain his skills anywhere near as well after periods of inactivity.. That being said there is absolutely no reason an older pilot can't learn to fly any tailwheel aircraft given enough time so add some fun to your life and learn some new skills....at the very least it will improve your stick and rudder skills and make you a better pilot.

Some years ago our line boy helped me ( he did most of the work) change the bungees on our old S1S. I told him, ? you are now among the rarest of rare, even more rare than a Pitts driver. You have changed the bungee cords on a Pitts !?

Walt, Everyone has given you lots of great advice. Use it all. One other thought, remember those pedals are not foot rest. Be ready to move your feet as much as it takes to keep the aircraft tracking straight down the runway. Frank

Advice

Yes, Agree Good advice. What Mike said rings true about taking more time than a kid. Thanks for the posts.

One very simple rule to remember:

Always, always keep the little wheel behind the big ones

I have given flight training and tailwheel training since 1969. Age has little to do with the ability to safely land a taildragger. What determines the potential skills of a taildragger pilot are the skills of the pilot. If you are a good noise wheel pilot you have the ability to be a good tailwheel pilot. If you are an older pilot, you need to fly more than the average pilot because the older pilot will lose skills faster than the younger pilot in most circumstances. The reason why we are comfortable driving a car at an older age is because we drive more often than we fly.

I teach three point landings before wheel landings for good reason. If you muff up a wheel landing, you will be able to safely recover into a three point landing. If you are making a short field landing, you will need the skills to make a three point landing. If you try a short field landing by wheel landing and you land to long or you land on a runway that is to short, you have set yourself up to either flip over like the guy in the RV a few days ago or you will ground loop unless of course you can or will go around. All landings are three point landings anyway because you will always end up on 3 wheels?.hopefully.

I have given flight training and tailwheel training since 1969. Age has little to do with the ability to safely land a taildragger. What determines the potential skills of a taildragger pilot are the skills of the pilot. If you are a good noise wheel pilot you have the ability to be a good tailwheel pilot. If you are an older pilot, you need to fly more than the average pilot because the older pilot will lose skills faster than the younger pilot in most circumstances. The reason why we are comfortable driving a car at an older age is because we drive more often than we fly.

I teach three point landings before wheel landings for good reason. If you muff up a wheel landing, you will be able to safely recover into a three point landing. If you are making a short field landing, you will need the skills to make a three point landing. If you try a short field landing by wheel landing and you land to long or you land on a runway that is to short, you have set yourself up to either flip over like the guy in the RV a few days ago or you will ground loop unless of course you can or will go around. All landings are three point landings anyway because you will always end up on 3 wheels?.hopefully.

Spot on Dale.
I read the forums and way too often folks have settled for wheel landings as they just can?t figure out how to nail the three point. The only argument some might have is IF you are very accomplished well practiced you can land shorter hanging off the prop, tailwheel low wheel landing and ?roll? onto the mains for maximum braking effectiveness. However, I wouldn?t t teach it to a newbie of any age.

To the OP, regardless of age, get your training in something like a Cub or Champ. You will learn important things like taxiing in wind, and be forced to use your rudder. RV?s allow for really sloppy rudder use and ground ops. Learn in an antique, and maybe even in Dales 170. That?ll force you to become a complete tailwheel proficient pilot with skills that will transfer to the RV.

Might want to consider learning in someone else's plane too---like a Cub or Citabria. I know of two individuals that ground looped their new to them tail draggers getting schooled for their endorsement and insurance....

Back