What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whats this RV-7A QB worth ?

My suggestion would be to go directly to Van's site, where you can look up all the current prices for the various kits, etc. Quick-build and standard build. At least you can get the current prices, if you wanted to buy from Vans now. This should give you a good starting reference point for what you're looking at.

btw, saving on shipping is no small item. If you can just drive it home, you'll save several thousand right there.

Thanks Bswayze for the info, I believe the current QB price on a RV7A is
32k+shipping(and thats with finishing kit) ,, I feel like I can get this QB for
20k+6k for finishing kit I still need, so just wondering.

Jon,
On their website the emp. is 1.7K, and the QB kit is 24.5K for a total of 26.2K not including the thousands for shipping. I believe if you can get the kit for 20K it is a good deal assuming two things.... 1. It is not scrap and 2. Major parts aren't missing.

Take an experienced RV builder with you and look over the kit very carefully knowing the work done on the emp. may be junk. Look for obvious dings, shop heads on rivets, edge distance on holes especially any larger bolt holes drilled by the builder, and finally make sure the pieces weren't built twisted. Also look for corrosion on everything. Finally do a complete inventory using the supplied inventory sheets (will take several hours) so you know what you have and don't have. I wouldn't sweat small hardware, your just looking for all the major parts.

Good luck with your purchase.

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE flying since 2007, 700 hrs

I'm thinking 25-30% off of Van?s latest prices is just about right for a fairly new kit that hasn?t been started, or not much done to it in this lousy economy, and if what had been done was good quality work.

That?s what I got for my RV-4 kits that I had to sell separately, that was only about 18 months old. Sold it last year. I ate the shipping charges. Got a fair amount of interest. Took about 10-14 days to sell it all.

The 7 QB kits might demand a bit more of a asking price since they are more popular and sought after.

Being just 10 miles from your house, you can't be the shipping costs. :)

QB/SB=1

Once it's done, I doubt the next buyer will care if it's QB or not. Some do, as they assume the quality is better. However, if it's an RV guy he will understand it's the finished quality that counts.

I sold one couple years ago and was asked if it was QB. My answer? "Show me how you tell." as it was a finely built SB by a body shop foreman.

My 10 cents...

Well he is asking 20k for the QB 7a, and I would have to spend 6k for the finishing kit(plus shipping), I don't know , I thought about offering him 18k cash for the QB...

QB Worth

I paid 14K for exactly what you have 6 months ago.

Wow Paul, I wish I could get one that cheap, on a good note, the kit is on the east coast and the owner is on West coast, might be able to get it cheaper because of that, the conveinence of him not having to mess with it.

I?m sure you?ve seen some of the older VAF ads. There?s one that is asking 19k and is open for offers that was built by an A&P. Says it is well past QB stage. He?s also throwing in a lot of tools. It?s been on VAF since mid-August, and still seems to be for sale. There?s another one that looks like nearly all of the metal work is done, but still needs finishing kit for $18,500. These seem like fair prices to me if I was looking for a 7, and the quality is good.

Going to barnstormers, if you click on the RV kits and also RV projects, you?ll find a few there too. But hopefully you two can work something out. It would be a shame not to when you?re so close. Traveling expenses add up rather quickly on long distances, and inventorying can be a pain if the seller hasn?t done his homework, and only deciding to inventory again when you just get there. What was inventoried when the kit was bought a year or more ago doesn?t mean much to me. You don?t want to have to send a search party out to find those remaining parts, and chances are you will if this was done years ago. So whatever kit you get, do take your time with the inventorying as another has stated. Missing pieces can add to the costs significantly, even if it is just smaller parts.

On my RV-4 kits, it took me a few days gathering things all back up again in one central location, and re-inventoried everything. I suppose this took about 16 hours or so over a period of about four days. When the two separate buyers got there, they obviously insisted on re-inventorying again, but this time it only took about 3 hours for each of them as well as wrap all the pieces back up and load. It would have been easier for one buyer to buy all of my kits, but each wanted a separate kit.

Inventorying is no biggee at all, if the seller has done his homework, and there is enough room to find the part, check it off, then move it to another area ready to load. It was sure nice to see those last final pieces getting checked off.

I continually check barnstormers for completed RV's, projects and kits. For completed planes, I have seen some of the same planes still for sale a year or two later. A few I noticed are still asking their same price, and just don?t seem to get how bad this economy is. It?s certainly a buyers market. The middle class has lost 40% of their net worth over the last five years. There isn?t nearly as many buyers these days.

So good luck, you?ll find the deal you want.

I have found a couple on barnstormers wrongway john, but there across the country lol. so that would be WAY to expensive to go get..

Back