What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque a oil filter on a IO 320 D1A RV9A

ron sterba

Well Known Member
I changed my oil filter the last time.(since bought the wrench to take it off). What’s a good way to torque the filter to 16 lbs in that precarious location being blocked by the upper cowling fastener strip. Can’t get my torque wrench in there! Your idea would be thoughtful. Much appreciated.

Ron RV9A

There used to be an alternate “torquing” method printed on Tempest filters that said “3/4 of a turn after the gasket touches”. That has always worked well for me - no leaks and easy to remove. I torque with a wrench when able, but use the alternate method when I can't.

What Paul said. I've always used the 3/4-1 turn past contact on cars as well as AC. I've never used a wrench to put filters on, just my hands. Sometimes I need to use a wrench to get back off though. I do not advocate going against manufacturer directions, just making a suggestion.

I have an oil filter torque wrench - it is compact and will fit between the firewall and filter (it is a tight fit though).
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/AA472.php
But I have found using the 3/4 turn after hand tight to work about the same. I lube the gasket with DC-4 as recommended by Champion.

I use 3/4 turn as well when I have no access to a torque wrench, but I caution using 3/4 past "hand tight". 3/4 turn past first seal contact is a much better description in my opinion.
Hand tight to me means tightened as far as I can by hand. That is a very different amount depending on whose hand is doing the tightening.
It could result in a filter that is turned 1 1/2 turns past the point of seal contact which will be very difficult to get off when it comes time.

Scott - I agree - ?seal contact?, not ? hand tight? is a better description. Than you for correcting my comment.

Thanks on the technical, l like the thought of a simple 3/4 turn. Tim you mentioned DC-4,what is that lubricant? I used new oil from the quarts going in, I hope that’s ok. Iam going to have a oil analysis done, should I have the filter done too? I bought a oil filter cutter and plan to open it today and send the filter. My IO 320 D1A has 68 hours on it. (RV9A HDX grandma grandpa plane). I also use CamGuard additive. I got roller rockers and was told it was a great protector for the rollers. On the torque wrench the Spruce reviews are barely 3 stars and a hit and miss on the four star. Thanks guys I’ll get a twisting!!!
Ron

Thanks on the technical, l like the thought of a simple 3/4 turn. Tim you mentioned DC-4,what is that lubricant? I used new oil from the quarts going in, I hope that’s ok. Iam going to have a oil analysis done, should I have the filter done too? I bought a oil filter cutter and plan to open it today and send the filter. My IO 320 D1A has 68 hours on it. (RV9A HDX grandma grandpa plane). I also use CamGuard additive. I got roller rockers and was told it was a great protector for the rollers. On the torque wrench the Spruce reviews are barely 3 stars and a hit and miss on the four star. Thanks guys I’ll get a twisting!!!
Ron

In the 40 years of owning and operating lycomings, all I have ever used to lube the filter is the oil from the quarts going in, and 3/4 turn past contact and have NEVER HAD a problem with a filter leak or removal.

If you feel the need to use SOMETHING SPECIAL to install the filter, here....... https://www.acehardware.com/departments/plumbing/plumbing-tools/plumbing-grease/4768503 is a product for under $5 that will cover you for many years.

Last edited:
DC-4

DC-4 is Dow Corning #4, as Plummit explained. Aircraft Spruce sells it for $18 (plus shipping).

As far as using DC-4 vs oil on lubricating the oil filter gasket -
I'm an old farm boy, and all I ever used on my ag equipment spin-on filter gaskets was oil. I too, never had a problem with the filter leaking or sticking using oil. However, on the side the Champion aviation oil filter I use, it states to use (first choice) DC-4 to lube the gasket. Oil is the second choice.

Lycoming also recommends DC-4 on engines having the 15047 oil filter adapter

https://www.lycoming.com/content/tips-changing-your-spin-oil-filter

So, this is why I use DC-4 on my oil filter gasket. But, As Gasman stated - he's been using oil for years - so don't worry.
Yes - I cut my filters open and inspect. EAA has a video on their website on how to do it. Below is a link to a pdf from Blackstone on filter inspection.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Aircraft-2008-03-01-March-Newsletter.pdf

Hope this info is helpful

Torque: As others said, the 3/4 turn bit works fine. But if you want to torque it: I have a luggage scale. Or a fish scale works. Tie the scale to the end of your wrench. Pull perpendicular to the wrench, read pounds. Measure distance from where the scale is tied, to the center of the oil filter bolt head. Torque is distance times pounds (distance in inches gives in-lbs; divide by 12 to get foot-pounds.)

Re lube: some brand filter gaskets are coming pre-lubed, no oil needed. I forget which brand. Check.

Edit : Tempest EZ filters are pre-lubed.

Last edited:
Back