What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming io-390 Wait blues

jhiggins

So I?ve been waiting in my Thunderbolt io-390 for quite a while. Originally promised June. June turned into late August, and now we are approaching October ... still no engine. I?ve been told I?m coming up real soon. Who else is waiting and what was your deposit date? Or if you have gotten one recently that info would be nice. Particularly the Thunderbolt kind.
Thanks
Jim Higgins
Rv-7a
Flying but waiting on my engine for firewall forward upgrade

Ordered 2/28 and given October delivery. Traded with another builder for his 4/30 date, in April delayed until July, in July delayed until September 20, on September 18 delayed until ?mid to late October?. Not impressed.

about 4 months for a Thunderbolt IO540. Totally worth it. can't wait to fly this thing

Are the delays based on demand, or on lack of components? I got lucky on timing - ordered mine just before Oshkosh last year and had it by end of August. Seems like starting soon after that the backlog has just grown.

Delays are for the IO-390 engine only (I believe) in either stock factory or Thunderbolt builds. Lycoming brought cylinder manufacturing in-house for this engine and apparently has had MAJOR problems with the process.

As Keith stated, they seem to have major issue on the -390 or -580 cylinders both on Thunderbolt and regular Lycoming side.

Back