What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A Aerobatics

Jared_Solomon

Well Known Member
Hey All,

I thought I'd share a video I took recently playing around doing some aerobatics in my RV-14A. I find the RV-14 does sport acro about as well as the other side-by-side models (with a much larger aerobatic useful load)

https://youtu.be/kYS_JzcNrsA

Very nice, envious.

I have only done rolls and few simpler stuff which it does it very well.

Jared:

Do you have an inverted oil system? (I would think most of these don?t need it, except perhaps the half Cuban 8).

Nice job, by the way.

first RV 14 in competition?

Nice video. With a little coaching you'll be ready for the IAC contest in Rome, GA, 17-20 Oct, and have the honor of being the first RV-14 to participate. Should be a good gathering of RVs and other really good friends that fly other things.:D
Cheers,
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

Does PUJ have an airspace acro waiver box? 4 nm offairways otherwise seems hard to accomplish.

Yes, KPUJ has waiver-ed airspace for aerobatics (Aerobatic Practice Area)

Nice video. With a little coaching you'll be ready for the IAC contest in Rome, GA, 17-20 Oct, and have the honor of being the first RV-14 to participate. Should be a good gathering of RVs and other really good friends that fly other things.:D
Cheers,
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

Maybe...I've definitely been bit by the acro bug, although I'm far more interested in getting involved in airshow flying (small stage shows) then competition. :D I've watched all you videos on YouTube over the years, helped me really appreciate what RVs are capable of!

Jared:

Do you have an inverted oil system? (I would think most of these don’t need it, except perhaps the half Cuban 8).

Nice job, by the way.

I installed a Half Raven system (also had an oil accumulator but removed it). The oil pressure doesn't go much below 50 psi during a Half Cuban. The negative G is pretty brief. The hammerhead is were I see the lowest oil pressure, sometimes going down as low as 35psi for a moment of two depending on how hard I drive the nose down in the vertical.

come visit

Jared,
Just put the Rome contest on your calendar, and come watch. I went to two contests as a visitor before I pulled the string and competed. Our IAC chapter 3 out of Atlanta has periodic practice sessions, and we can put you on our notice list of when and where if you like. Just use my e-mail address. Fun, fun, fun, with your new toy,:D
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

Nice video...it inspired me to work on the plane last night and get it another couple hours closer to upside-down. :)

I am still torn on any kind of supplemental oil systems for my RV-14, due to reports of limited space to mount anything. I didn't see pictures on your build log of the Half Raven or oil accumulator. Do you have any pictures or a hint at how you mounted that stuff on your RV-14A? I'd like to put in a Half Raven but I don't know if it will require drilling the IO-390 sump or moving the battery off the firewall or anything like that.

Maybe...I've definitely been bit by the acro bug, although I'm far more interested in getting involved in airshow flying (small stage shows) then competition. :D

Of course you are... the ego stroke of airshows is way better than the ego bruising of competition. :)

No need to move anything

Nice video...it inspired me to work on the plane last night and get it another couple hours closer to upside-down. :)

I am still torn on any kind of supplemental oil systems for my RV-14, due to reports of limited space to mount anything. I didn't see pictures on your build log of the Half Raven or oil accumulator. Do you have any pictures or a hint at how you mounted that stuff on your RV-14A? I'd like to put in a Half Raven but I don't know if it will require drilling the IO-390 sump or moving the battery off the firewall or anything like that.

Here are some pictures of my install. The blue oil accumulator (Accusump) has since been removed (tried it out...it's useless from an aerobatic standpoint).

raven_install_1.jpg

raven_install_2.jpg

raven_install_3.jpg

raven_install_4.jpg

Thank you very much for posting those pictures. It looks like a tight fit, but a fit nonetheless! I also really appreciate your PIREP on the oil accumulator. :)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing that. Got me off my but to go work on the rear window installation.

I have a few of questions, if you don't mind.

1) What helmet are you using and how does it connect to the intercom/radios?

2) Would you mind sharing your entry speeds?

3) Did you receive acro instruction, if so, from where? (I'll need it.)

Thanks again,

Yes, KPUJ has waiver-ed airspace for aerobatics (Aerobatic Practice Area)

Maybe...I've definitely been bit by the acro bug, although I'm far more interested in getting involved in airshow flying (small stage shows) then competition. :D I've watched all you videos on YouTube over the years, helped me really appreciate what RVs are capable of!

I installed a Half Raven system (also had an oil accumulator but removed it). The oil pressure doesn't go much below 50 psi during a Half Cuban. The negative G is pretty brief. The hammerhead is were I see the lowest oil pressure, sometimes going down as low as 35psi for a moment of two depending on how hard I drive the nose down in the vertical.
Jared loved your aeros! I have an RV 14 and doing similar aeros to you (not as accurate as you!). I want to install the Full or half Raven kit but watching your video you seem to able to do an inverted check on the 4 point roll and the cubins. Are you happy with it and which one of your build blogs shows the installation? I am concerned about space. My channel is below. Thanks for your help, Nigel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBk4TS_imvgdN4FAX4vmDIQ

I hope you take Bill's advice and go to the Rome contest. You seem to have a grip on the basics and with the addition of a full inverted oil system you could do well in the Sportsman category. If you pursue airshow aerobatics you will still want to have that full inverted system.

Most IAC chapters are having some sort of practice day on June 26th as it is National Aerobatics Day! Hope you can make one.

Most of the great airshow pilots I know started out in IAC competition and it is obvious to me which ones omitted that step. I have no interest in watching someone fling their aircraft around in careless abandon but will always stop to watch precision aerobatics. Other than having the tailwheel on the wrong end of the airplane I think you have what it takes. :rolleyes: (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

I know this is an old thread, but be careful about publishing videos of acro being performed directly over housing developments.

Half Raven

Jared loved your aeros! I have an RV 14 and doing similar aeros to you (not as accurate as you!). I want to install the Full or half Raven kit but watching your video you seem to able to do an inverted check on the 4 point roll and the cubins. Are you happy with it and which one of your build blogs shows the installation? I am concerned about space. My channel is below. Thanks for your help, Nigel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBk4TS_imvgdN4FAX4vmDIQ

Hey Nigel,

I just checked out your your YouTube videos. Your acro is looking good! Regarding the Half Raven, i've attached some pictures of my install below. In the pics below there is an oil accumulator installed on the firewall that I experimented with, however it didn't really provide any additional oil pressure inverted so I removed it.

Attachments

• raven_install_1.jpg
    raven_install_1.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 270
  • raven_install_2.jpg
    raven_install_2.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 242
  • raven_install_3.jpg
    raven_install_3.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 247
  • raven_install_4.jpg
    raven_install_4.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 228
Hey Nigel,

I just checked out your your YouTube videos. Your acro is looking good! Regarding the Half Raven, i've attached some pictures of my install below. In the pics below there is an oil accumulator installed on the firewall that I experimented with, however it didn't really provide any additional oil pressure inverted so I removed it.

Jared
Sorry I did not get back to you. I have been flying with the half Raven now for a while and the difference is amazing. Hardly any Oil spillage or dripping after flying.
Regards Nigel

Hey All,

I thought I'd share a video I took recently playing around doing some aerobatics in my RV-14A. I find the RV-14 does sport acro about as well as the other side-by-side models (with a much larger aerobatic useful load)

https://youtu.be/kYS_JzcNrsA

That was really fun to watch. Curious about your path to acquiring your aerobatic skills. My RV-14A's in the paint shop so my journey is just beginning.

Back