What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rolling shutter explained

ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
Came across this image on reddit, thought some here might find it interesting. It's a visual explanation of the rolling shutter effect on the prop on all the RV videos that get posted around here.

CdeeKPW.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UljfdzjZ2VY

via Gopro with 2 sunglass filters carefully taped on, Gopro mounted to bill of my baseball hat with double tape and alum strip with 2 bends to fit curve of bill (camera removed from orig case). Purchase of optional remote mic highly recommended. Only about $25. Can be put in earcup of headset.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv1qEXk7slU

Oh for sure - addressing it is trivial. I just thought this was a nice visual explanation.

sunglass filter?

Love the graphic explanation of the rolling shutter. Your filter seems to have been a great fix! What material works best to filter out the prop and where is a good source?

Back in the old days of film, focal plane shutters would cause "curved props" unless the lens was stopped down and the shutter speed slowed.

Leaf or diaphragm shutters would not do this, IIRC.

Another totally worthless blurb. Most of us get the drift of the prop blur with and without the filter in 10 seconds. 2 minutes is worthless. UNLESS you tell us how you made the filter. Sunglass filter??????? They sell them at the Mall at the sunglass kiosk???
PLEASE please please....finish your great idea with "how".

Thanks

Ed

Came across this image on reddit, thought some here might find it interesting. It's a visual explanation of the rolling shutter effect on the prop on all the RV videos that get posted around here.

CdeeKPW.gif

I liked it. I understand it now.

DaleB,
I appreciate your attempt at education, but it left a lot to be desired. What makes you think that most of us have not already researched the web, and found simpleton answers. Only one spot (on the web) have I found real info. Example: A .6 filter will not remove the "banana", a .9 filter will remove it, but leave a wiggle, a 1.2 filter is better, but will not remove the wiggle, a 1.5 filter (.6 plus a .9 piggybacked filters) removes all the interference giving a perfect picture.
So here are three filter and an additional piggyback setup, all advertised as "prop filters". Only one is truly adequate. So using the word 'sunlight filter' means nothing. (in the eyes of people who build airplanes that is).

So the question still exists: who has the best, for the price, filter system, whether it be store bought, or home made.
Please note that no where in the above thread is the camera and lens shown.

This forum is for how I made this part in shop today, not what I made in shop.
So once again, please please please show us how

Ed

DaleB,
I appreciate your attempt at education, but it left a lot to be desired. What makes you think that most of us have not already researched the web, and found simpleton answers. Only one spot (on the web) have I found real info. Example: A .6 filter will not remove the "banana", a .9 filter will remove it, but leave a wiggle, a 1.2 filter is better, but will not remove the wiggle, a 1.5 filter (.6 plus a .9 piggybacked filters) removes all the interference giving a perfect picture.

Depending on the amount of light coming in, that is, which can be vastly different depending on time of day. And the effective ISO rating of the sensor. And the aperture size. AND the speed of the rolling shutter electronics.

This isn't that hard of a problem...buy some filters and run some experiments.

Sometimes they are not curved. I think my airplane is scared!

Many%20Props%20(719x800).jpg

And no, I won't tell you how :D

Depending on the amount of light coming in, that is, which can be vastly different depending on time of day. And the effective ISO rating of the sensor. And the aperture size. AND the speed of the rolling shutter electronics.

This isn't that hard of a problem...buy some filters and run some experiments.

And the frame rate.

I find 60fps to be less susceptible to prop disc distortion than 30fps. And as mentioned, shooting at 60fps near sunset results in a nice prop blur...without a filter.

But I realize my attempt at education may leave a lot to be desired..... ;)

I am relaxed, just get tired of less than adequate information. To educate to a small degree here is a you tube blurb that helps explain the differences in filters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnwG-oSna0I

Now try to find enough info on filters being sold for the GoPr, most leave out the filter value, or worse, use a different measurement.

The gentleman that produced the above video is to be commended. In actuality his video should (by our standards) be 'just normal'. I.e. on average we, as airplane builders, have higher standards. (wife comments on the afore mentioned are to categorized as 'fake news'.)

Ed (relaxing with a single malt)

DaleB,
So here are three filter and an additional piggyback setup, all advertised as "prop filters". Only one is truly adequate. So using the word 'sunlight filter' means nothing. (in the eyes of people who build airplanes that is).

So the question still exists: who has the best, for the price, filter system, whether it be store bought, or home made.
Please note that no where in the above thread is the camera and lens shown.

This forum is for how I made this part in shop today, not what I made in shop.
So once again, please please please show us how

Ed

If the camera and lens brand/type is so important (and it is), how do you expect an answer without revealing what kind you have?

Why not buy a couple inexpensive filters and create/test your own setup? After all, this forum is for creativity as well. Make it in shop and then tell us what worked.

Last edited:
Back