What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TDI 200 hr report

Flandy10

Well Known Member
i-KJqXrsX-M.jpg

Departing IndyJet at KMQJ for home after Memorial Day weekend.
Ok, it is not a stunning newly painted plane photo, but it's my favorite so far. :)

And considering it looked like this...:eek:
i-9M2mwKx-M.jpg

for most of Feb. thru early May during this year's condition inspection, it sure felt good to be back in the air. It still hurts to look at this photo.

What happened? It was time to fix the following items.
1. improve oil cooler air flow
2. modify fuel cooler installation
3. fix left fuel tank wingwalk rivets that started weeping--- AGAIN:mad:.
4. improve lower right dynacup alignment
5. resized cowling inlets
6. improve fuel pressure at altitude with new high output pump

Results--

Oil temps are about 10F cooler in climb and cruise, but the CHTs also dropped about the same- didn't see that coming. The CHTs are already cooler than I want.

No weeping tank rivets and I was able to hang the engine- solo- in 15 minutes, so the alignment issue was greatly improved.

Also got in a trip to the factory's Experimental hangar in Mobile for a checkup.
i-5nsGCX5-M.jpg

They have the only compression check and borescope equipment for this engine right now. Clean bill of health:D!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! Did Continental happen to say when you'd be getting the production engine? When will it be available to the public? The plane is looking great.

Glad to see the engine running well. I'm very much looking forward to hearing if/when it becomes available. I know I'd pony up for it.

Fuel Bill

I believe the following to be accurate.

1/2018 to 1/2019

86.5 Hobbs hours

575 gallons purchased at $1946.27 avg $3.385/gallon

6.65 gph :)

Onsite in Mobile

Next time you come to Mobile, PLEASE let me know. We live in Mobile and would love to see your bird. We are building a -10 here (very slowly) and dream of being able to see such machines!

Best regards,
Mike

Back