What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO390 Expansion Plug Removal

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I was reading another thread about removing the expansion plug before putting on the prop. It was suggested that one could just invert the plug with a piece of steel (rounded edges) and a hammer. Does one need to drill a hole in the plug first?

What is the easiest method of removal?

thanks

Slowly drill a hole and insert a screwdriver, turn, pull or pry. Nothing stressful, it comes right off. Just clean any debris out before installing the prop. Also, don't use the edges for leverage for your screwdriver, you don't want it damaged.

Last edited:
I just did this. I used a ball peen hammer. I put the rounded end on the plug and smacked the s**t out of the ball peen with another BFH. The plug compressed and I removed it with a magnet. Easy-peasy! and no shavings to worry about.

I just did this. I used a ball peen hammer. I put the rounded end on the plug and smacked the s**t out of the ball peen with another BFH. The plug compressed and I removed it with a magnet. Easy-peasy! and no shavings to worry about.

Does BFH mean what I think it does???

Crank plug

Used the ball peen hammer method to remove/install for years, but the last 50 I?ve taken out have been with a slide hammer. I know it doesn?t hurt a thing, but like not having to hammer the plug to remove. Metal chips/debris not a issue. Doesn?t usually happen, but If a chip or 2 gets left in the crank bore during plug removal they are easily reached and removed.

Don Broussard A&P, IA, ATP
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Ball Pean Hammer Works

It's a little scary (hitting a brand new engine with a BPH) but works well and no metal chips to worry about.

I went to the local auto parts store that loans tools. Then had a slide hammer with a hook attachment that really worked easy.

Back