What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Excellent experience with Stewart Transportation for QB delivery

DoctorDan

Patron
I just had a wonderful delivery experience with Stewart Transportation for my 14A QB kit. Van's had mentioned Stewart when I finalized my order, and it sounded appealing for several reasons. My empannage crate delivery last year was done by XPO Logistics, and was OK, but that was a much smaller crate. My garage is at the end of a bumpy gravel driveway and I was very nervous about the logistics of moving much larger crates. With Stewart, the fuselage and wings were shipped crate-free and the truck has a crane to assist in lowering the fuselage down onto your lawn-cart or other similar device. Todd from Stewart was very easy to communicate with via email and the total cost for delivery from Van's to Long Island, NY was $3400.

My neighborhood was built in the 1920s, so I was concerned about a really big truck navigating the little streets, but the driver was able to get here without any issues. He called a few times to update me on arrival times, so there were no surprises. He arrived yesterday (Saturday) afternoon, and I was there with my brother to meet the truck. The vehicle is impressive! You can see the folding gantry for the crane extended out past the back of the trailer.

Stewart_truck.jpg

The wings are strapped to the side of the vehicle with a few moving pads to protect them. The fuselage sits on the floor of the vehicle. It's filled up with a bunch of other kit parts. There was another steel-tube fuselage behind mine that was headed up to Maine. You can see the wings to that plane on the rack just under the roof.

inside_truck.jpg
inside_truck_closeup.jpg

With the crane, the driver was able to easily lower the fuselage onto a heavy-duty lawn cart that I had. We used a few moving blankets to pad the top of the cart. The neighbors got a kick our of seeing a fuselage in the street!

Fuse_on_cart.jpg

Without much ado, my brother and I were easily able to roll the lawn-cart back to my not-so-spacious 1-car garage, and then transfer the fuselage onto an Ikea airplane stand/coffee table:

Fuse_in_garage.jpg

The wings were light enough to easily carry with 2 people, and fit nicely onto the stand I built last week

Wings.jpg

The fuselage will not fit into the basement shop until the door enlargement project is finished next week...

Door_expansion.jpg

Overall, it was without a doubt the most pleasant delivery experience I have ever had. I was very happy with Stewart Transportation and will unquestionably use them when I do my next RV build!

They're tops! Driver Don Furr (think I got that right) delivered my -14 QB kit from the previous owner in Texas to Indiana without a scratch a couple of years ago. Impressive trailer setup! Only difference: in my case, he delivered the tailwheel on the right end! :p

Stewart QB Delivery

I have had the same experience and can not praise them enough. Everything was delivered on-time as promised and damage free. I highly recommend using this service It's worth it! :D

Joe
Longview, Texas
RV-14A Fuselage 90% complete ;)
Installing Instrument Panel and awaiting engine delivery :mad:
Arion Lightning LS-1 Flying regularly
2019 Dues Paid

Back