What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun n fun

rv4bill

Well Known Member
If it was Oshkosh there would be VAF postings all day long.

What?s up Sun n fun guys?
How?s the show?

Weather has been great but Ive been too busy talking to vendors and spending money to watch much of the show.

Fyi, B&C are offering 10% off alternators and 90 deg oil adaptors this week if you call them.

Just got back from a quick 2 days. Wx on Tue was marginal, very light traffic. Wed really picked up, perfect day!

Primary mission was to approve G3X for one of our club planes. Mission accomplished, looks like about $55k all in for a dual screen flight deck with a 650 and other odds and ends. On to shop selection and scheduling.

Piper had their new Pilot 100 out. Lots of energy in that tent. Think 3-seat PA28, with all non-essentials removed (baggage door, wheel pants, etc.). Sub $300k for an IFR G3x platform. Can go as low as $260k for a 2 seat VFR. Fleet trainer market.

RV-related stuff:

Good showing % wise of RV's in HBC and HBP (30-40% ish). Great conversations with many of them as always. It's always fun studying builds and each year I find that I'm looking at whatever I'm working on or about to start.

The -12is One Week Wonder was at the EAA tent. Paint came out beautiful.

Mr Barrett was showcasing an IO-3xx for a -7 builder who was coming to the show later in the week. Pure mechanical art.

Vans has their usual show special engine / prop combo. Looked for some logo attire, none around, check back at Osh. They had the -12is and the -14a demonstrator out. The -14 has some paint bubbles on the fuel tank rivets now. :-( Lot of buzz at the tent. Synergy was down the aisle with a customer -7a that was a fantastic build.

Garmin is running their seminar rebates for $1-200 off various bits and pieces of radios, screens etc. if you sit a session (or ask nicely). They had the g3x Tiger out too. Nice setup.

Aeroshell had the usual show specials, $75 for a case of 15w50. The twist this year is that Spruce is the merchant, and they will ship at $10/case instead of carry out only. I bought 20 cases and got an even better deal to ship :D.

All in a good show. HBC was a serious hike though!

Good times in HBC

Food , Grog, and a live band in HBC tonight. Not much posting, because everyone is enjoying the beautiful weather, aircraft and Friends. I have not seen the $60k paint job on the RV 10, but hope to see it tomorrow. 56 aircraft in HBC as of today.

Just got back from a quick 2 days. Wx on Tue was marginal, very light traffic. Wed really picked up, perfect day!

Primary mission was to approve G3X for one of our club planes. Mission accomplished, looks like about $55k all in for a dual screen flight deck with a 650 and other odds and ends. On to shop selection and scheduling.

Piper had their new Pilot 100 out. Lots of energy in that tent. Think 3-seat PA28, with all non-essentials removed (baggage door, wheel pants, etc.). Sub $300k for an IFR G3x platform. Can go as low as $260k for a 2 seat VFR. Fleet trainer market.

RV-related stuff:

Good showing % wise of RV's in HBC and HBP (30-40% ish). Great conversations with many of them as always. It's always fun studying builds and each year I find that I'm looking at whatever I'm working on or about to start.

The -12is One Week Wonder was at the EAA tent. Paint came out beautiful.

Mr Barrett was showcasing an IO-3xx for a -7 builder who was coming to the show later in the week. Pure mechanical art.

Vans has their usual show special engine / prop combo. Looked for some logo attire, none around, check back at Osh. They had the -12is and the -14a demonstrator out. The -14 has some paint bubbles on the fuel tank rivets now. :-( Lot of buzz at the tent. Synergy was down the aisle with a customer -7a that was a fantastic build.

Garmin is running their seminar rebates for $1-200 off various bits and pieces of radios, screens etc. if you sit a session (or ask nicely). They had the g3x Tiger out too. Nice setup.

Aeroshell had the usual show specials, $75 for a case of 15w50. The twist this year is that Spruce is the merchant, and they will ship at $10/case instead of carry out only. I bought 20 cases and got an even better deal to ship :D.

All in a good show. HBC was a serious hike though!

The compliments are much appreciated. The build process was an incredible experience for this first time builder. We are working hard on the RV-10 to do even better.

Broke down and decided to go even with the new parking arrangement. I will not be back. The new hb parking is awful, the taxi in and out is awful, and the tram service is awful. Very Few people looking at the homebuilts because of the distance and I was told that next year it will be even worse. Talking to a couple of volunteers that were in the meetings confirmed that certain people really don't want homebuilts there. RIP sun n fun it's on the downhill greed slide.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb

Overall I had a GREAT time when I went yesterday. I did get cut off by a stray Bonanza, he got an earful from ATC, while departing Lake Parker but otherwise the arrival was a non-issue. I didn't think the HB parking was a problem at all, especially since it wasn't closed off during the airshow as in other years and the tram was easily available.

As always there were LOTS of vendors and exhibitors, which is the main reason I go. My wife didn't let me buy as many things as in other years but, oh well I guess I spent enough during other years.

The one problem I found was that cell phone service was very bad. It seems that signal levels were poor and, when you did get a signal, calls dropped off a lot. As cell phone signal becomes more and more used, this is something organizers need to address.

I am taking a break today but will be back tomorrow Saturday.

:cool:

Broke down and decided to go even with the new parking arrangement. I will not be back. The new hb parking is awful, the taxi in and out is awful, and the tram service is awful. Very Few people looking at the homebuilts because of the distance and I was told that next year it will be even worse. Talking to a couple of volunteers that were in the meetings confirmed that certain people really don't want homebuilts there. RIP sun n fun it's on the downhill greed slide.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb

I was at Sun N Fun Tue & Wed and insisted on parking in the old home built area, which they let me do. It made walking into the show a non-event.

I was at SNF Tues through thurs am and had a great time. Mets lot of people that are here on VAF and saw a lot of beautiful RVs too. First time I have flown in and Tues am was marginal VFR at best and got right in IFR flying the RNAV GPS to 27. Interestingly, while I was on LAL tower frequency, no less than 3 guys called up asking to come in VFR. Tower asked each if they were familiar with the NOTAM and procedure, and each one said NO! (Of course none were RVs). Scud running with a scattered to broken layer at 700 feet plus not doing any research on how to get in is unfathomable to me. Sometimes GA is it's own worst enemy.

The compliments are much appreciated. The build process was an incredible experience for this first time builder. We are working hard on the RV-10 to do even better.

I spent maybe an hour talking with Krea about his plane. I was grateful he was there with the cowl off so I could see his firewall forward with the bill lane plenum. Seems like a great guy. Our 2 wives talked while he and I were talking. These 2 are great RV ambassadors! His is definitely a beautiful aircraft and gives me a goal for what mine will look like when done.

Day Trip

Flew in Wednesday morning from the Vero Beach area 90miles away. Beautiful flying weather. I've flown into Oshkosh/Sun 'N Fun many times but this was the first time flying in/out for the day at either. Unfortunately, everyone else had the same idea of flying in this morning with the great weather so the arrival was saturated. Airplanes were getting directed to fly around Lake Parker and/or hold around Lake Hancock. We were lucky, after one trip around Lake Hancock, we were cleared to the power plant, and just by lucky timing, got cleared to join the procession into Lakeland. Three planes ahead of us were bunched up and got sent around Lake Parker again. Short final on 9L was interesting as we were side by side with a L39 jet landing on 9R!

We were parked in the new homebuilt parking area which is further east than homebuilt camping, itself not close to the main show. It didn't bother me but anyone who wants to check out the homebuilts has to do some walking or catch the tram. Clearly, the Vintage guys have the best spot, closest to the show. There was no mass grouping of RVs like you see at Oshkosh. It didn't seem to me like RVs were as numerous as past Sun 'N Funs and they were scattered about in HBP or HBC, mixed with other Homebuilts.

One day was not enough to see everything of course, but we did check out the vendors, ultralight/LSA demos, warbirds, and airshow. We left after the day airshow, which was very good. We got in the end of the taxi line which stretched the entire length of the airport east to west. We were on the taxiway for at least 30 minutes. Fortunately, although warm, it wasn't hot, so my oil temps didn't get too high, 210 max I think.

The flight home should have been in sunny blue skies, but there were fires on the ground halfway across, and it was unbelievable how much smoke they put into the sky. At first we thought it was fog or a low cloud which went all the way to the ground. We went around to the north of the fires. Don't know if they were man-made or wild.

All in all, a great aviation day.

I drove in this year because the weather window was a little too narrow for my return. My boss is good but if I called them up and said I wasn't going to be at work because of weather I'm sure their first words would be "I think Delta is still flying!" I plan to retire at the end of 2020 so that should take care of that little problem.

SunNFun.... I was mission driven this year because of a potential upgrade to IFR panel. In the research phase now. I wanted to specifically have a nice chat with Garmin/Dynon/Steinair and was able to get all my questions answered. Also spent some time with Champion Aerospace talking about the slick mag service bulletin. They gave me all the parts I'll need except for the gear with the monel contractor. Spent some time chatting with the lycoming people too. They shared some good engine information.

The only negative comment I have about the SunNFun and Oshkosh for that matter is this. Their maps are horrible in my opinion. I find it interesting that I can fly hundreds of miles and find a specific spread of concrete to land on that was preselected days ago but I have trouble navigating the shows. Maybe it's just me. Also, It wouldn't break my heart to see the length of the airshows decreased to a couple hours max. On the drive home I noticed that for the first time, I did not take a single picture.

Parking the car was 10 bucks and 32/day to get in. Reasonable. They'd like you to buy the weekly pass but I can't digest being there that long driving in.

This was my first year driving in and I can say this without any doubt. The experience of flying in and camping is what makes it really worth it all. I missed that this year and I can tell it too.

Last edited:
I attended from Monday to Wednesday. We parked in the new home built parking area, and yes, it is a long way from most of the show. The tie down area and ramps were good where we were.
The real positive was the ground crew at HB parking. They provided shuttle service to our camp site over by the big pond. Typically I had walked all the gear to that area so this was a big plus.
I like sun and fun and have been many times in the last twenty two years. It is our first flying event of the year and it is a great warm up for summer flying

Flew in and out yesterday. Both procedures are pretty simple and work well. Did get cut off by a 172 that just entered on their own terms apparently not even monitoring tower freq, and wandered down to the runway and landed. wTF!! Had to do a wave off and circled back to downwind for re-entry. Tower controllers were incredulous but pragmatic. Can?t beleive people can not figure out how to read the f?in NOTAM

Meanwhile show was just fine. HB parking is not that bad. They have a tram that works.

The Blues essentially flew most of the morning - must be their ?loose show? routine. Then again as the last attraction. Always magnificent!

Spoke with some officials who said overall attendance is creeping ever downward. Vintage attendance seemed robust, HB not so much. Remember, this is a commercial show put on by a private Corp. Certainly not as epic as Osh but still a well run, big event.

Have fun, fly safe.

I flew in Wednesday morning as well. I heard the chatter re Lake Parker holds but loitered for 5 minutes, then proceeded in without delay.

FWIW. I'm not usually a big complainer as I usually go with the flow.

1) I too parked in the HB section. It's really is a shame to be so far out. They parked me in row 1 on a steep grade backed up to a drainage port. Getting out was a challenge as my tail wheel kicked out on the diagonal ascent out & my wingtip came very close to a RV12 prop.

2) I purchased a case of oil & was looking for a ride back with my case on a handcart. I was at Gate 44, Tram 6 waiting for 45 minutes, Yes 45. The gatekeeper couldn't care less about it as I asked him to check on the shuttle. His only interest was making sure everyone had armbands. I finally ended up hitching a ride from a passing golf cart. The volunteers at HB were good enough to drive me back to the booth to return the handcart.

3) The departure taxi from HB to 09 took 30 minutes. For me, it was a 20 minute flight back to KCLW.

I do hope that SNF rethinks the HB parking & returns to the flightline location.
I believe the masses really enjoy seeing the homebuilts before the airshow. The lot was about half full with a few experimentals & old Cessnas.
I would have opted to attend another day as I usually do, but with the lengthy taxi getting out, it wasn't worth going again.

I spent maybe an hour talking with Krea about his plane. I was grateful he was there with the cowl off so I could see his firewall forward with the bill lane plenum. Seems like a great guy. Our 2 wives talked while he and I were talking. These 2 are great RV ambassadors! His is definitely a beautiful aircraft and gives me a goal for what mine will look like when done.

It was great meeting you and your wife as well. Thank you for the kind words. Best of luck on the build and please reach out if there is anything I can do.

Flew in Wednesday morning and had to make 1 circle round Lake Parker. Parked in HBC but ended up tenting with others in the camp area on the far west side of the airport. Didn’t notice an abundance of restroom facilities in HBC or any cell charging stations. Maybe I missed them due to my short time there. (Left Thursday morning). Totally agree on WEAK cell service. I “conned” a cart driver to Uber me between my camp and plane twice for $5 each way. Well worth it due to all my camp gear. I was at a car race out west last year and the track had veterans driving golf carts as “taxis” for donations. Maybe an idea for SNF ??

Listening to tower freq I heard a 210 announce he was on a 5 mile straight in for 9. Tower advised him to follow the Lake Parker arrival procedure. His reply > I thought I was using that procedure. ??? ATC let him continue and land straight in. Didn’t hear if he was provided a phone # to call, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Drove down Monday, got my press credentials, went over to the high school to make sure that the Powerpoints on the thumb drives would work for my forums -- they did -- then off to the motel in Winter Haven. A bit of a drive, but tolerable.

With my back having been acting up, Tuesday and Wednesday were short days, exhibits opened at 9, tried to visit just about all of them, or mostly, left at 3 before the mob scene leaving the parking lot and went home and rested. Thursday, left at 1 so I'd have more time to rest up for Friday's drive home.

Sun 'n Fun quit being primarily a homebuilt show quite some years ago, and these days seems to be all about their aerospace education facility. Those of you who track gender equity would have noticed that in their publications, they had only a token few boys.

Although I saw homebuilt parking from a distance, I didn't make it that far. The general theme among the vendors is that everybody seems to be doing well with healthy order backlogs.

My two forums (AOA and Spins/Spirals) each had a handful of high powered engineers (including FAA Designated Engineering Representatives) along with maybe 30 regular folks, and the forums seemed to be well appreciated by all.

Thursday afternoon, since I was already in Winter Haven, I figured I'd stop by Jack Brown's Seaplane Base, just to check it out. The short story is that there was a lot of socialization and a great environment there, just what general aviation should be. Highly recommended. Since I'm spending an enormous amount of time researching pilot proficiency topics, I asked how many of their seaplane students needed remedial stick and rudder skills, and the answer was not encouraging.

I also discovered that there was an AlfaRomeo dealership around the corner from the motel, and they gave me a ride in a 505 HP Quadrifoglio. WOW! I'm now having idle thoughts of trading down the RV-8 for one of those. Makes absolutely no sense, but...

Saw a few old friends, some by surprise, met one man I'd only corresponded with on facebook and when I was selling my Cessna.

A fun time, but I spent too much time journalist-izing and not enough time socializing.

One Picture

In post 12 I mentioned I hadn't taken even one picture. I was wrong. I did take just one. Since I drove this year, I was hoping to find the Lake Parker controllers but no joy. I don't know where they hide. I did get a photo of the Lake Parker power plant. Sure looks bigger/different from a car! :)

rjfhc7.jpg

Although it is pretty clear that homebuilts are not the focus of SNF, they were well represented at the Awards ceremony.

Out of the top four awards, three were for RV's. An RV-10 won Grand Champion, a Lancair took Reserve, an RV-8 and an RV-7A received Exceptional Achievement awards.

The crowds were surprisingly good and other than Sunday, there was a lot of interest for build assistance for RV's and Safari helicopters.

Having been a regular visitor from afar, I think this year was rather unimpressive. Some regular vendors not there, some regular airshow acts not there and they moved the homebuild park so far away it wasn't practical to get there.

Unlike a previous commentator, I think Sun n Fun IS about EAB, it starts the EAA shows and has plenty of attraction for anyone wanting parts, research and looking at EAB airplanes.

People want to see the homebuilt airplanes so they can compare and contrast, look at specific types or indeed individual airplanes attending.

The night show was very disappointing on Saturday, very similar acts, and the drones failed for the second evening. The announcing had us in stitches though - such basic lack of knowledge about some acts and how parachuting works ;):D

We normally do 3 days at the show, doubt I will do it again next year and probably get a trip at work with a 1 day layover.

Very obvious that the accountants are getting a grip on it and the 'family values and fun' are slipping.

Since SnF just announced the new name, dropping "Fly In", I think that says a lot about what they want to be. (and it isn't "us")

1. Airshow (teams and static military displays)
2. SnF Academy
3. Food and beer sales
10. Warbirds
99. Amateur built aircraft

Did anyone else notice that a large display area along the fence was sold to an RV dealer! (as in Recreational Vehicles!) IIRC the pots and pans hawker was behind Vans.

If you want to do airplane stuff, DO NOT go on Saturday. Thursday was tolerable, until the Blues closed the airspace.

Looks like the politicians and lawyers finally caught the goose that laid the golden egg, and it's funeral is rapidly approaching. They have been plucking it for a while.

I am voting with my dollars. I was on the fence about even going this year and after one day decided not to return for another day. The writing is on the wall, they want nothing more than an airshow and beer sales. I even told Phillips they needed to tell SnF that they are loosing sales because I refuse to lug a case of oil a mile to my airplane so no oil sale this year. They don't see it or don't care. The homebuilts leave, the vendor sales dry up the vendors leave. It started years ago and is now hitting critical mass. RIP SnF I'm out of here. After talking to a couple of long term volunteers that were in the meetings it's very apparent that they don't want us. I will abide by their wishes.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb

I personally disagree with some of your conclusions, Bob, but I appreciate the fact that you gave SnF a shot this year.

SnF moved the Homebuilt parking area because of chronic complaints about the access to the old area, so now we...we (I'm an RV owner as well)...have a place to sit and compare builds. Yes, it is further from the core than the old parking area. And yes, it's still closer than what you'll find at Airventure.

I hope you had a chance to use our trams--they were running regularly up and down the taxiway directly to HB parking.

I'll let SnF address the rebranding, but bear in mind that the new parking areas are a work in progress. Next year's HB parking lot will be substantially increased in the same vicinity, with the ability to park all HB's in the same geographic area.

SnF needs everybody's participation, and there is nothing I like more than seeing an airport filled with visitors, especially fellow homebuilts. Give us a chance to further improve our facilities, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I hope you had a chance to use our trams--they were running regularly up and down the taxiway directly to HB parking.

Sam, Here's a snippet from my post earlier on this thread.

I flew in Wednesday morning as well. I heard the chatter re Lake Parker holds but loitered for 5 minutes, then proceeded in without delay.

FWIW. I'm not usually a big complainer as I usually go with the flow.

1) I too parked in the HB section. It's really is a shame to be so far out. They parked me in row 1 on a steep grade backed up to a drainage port. Getting out was a challenge as my tail wheel kicked out on the diagonal ascent out & my wingtip came very close to a RV12 prop.

2) I purchased a case of oil & was looking for a ride back with my case on a handcart. I was at Gate 44, Tram 6 waiting for 45 minutes, Yes 45. The gatekeeper couldn't care less about it as I asked him to check on the shuttle. His only interest was making sure everyone had armbands. I finally ended up hitching a ride from a passing golf cart. The volunteers at HB were good enough to drive me back to the booth to return the handcart.

3) The departure taxi from HB to 09 took 30 minutes. For me, it was a 20 minute flight back to KCLW.

Sun 'N Fun

I have been to Sun 'N Fun about 15 times. Usually 1 or 2 days and I always stayed in motels.

This year I flew in on Tuesday, and yes I did get to enjoy Lake Parker because of a Bonanza with gear problems, and parked my RV-12 in the Homebuilt Camping. I tied down the aircraft, pitched my tent, put my stuff in the tent, and then went off to buy my wristband, etc. and headed to the main part of the show. It was about 5:30 p.m. so I decided to have dinner and a beer and the went back to the Homebuilt Camping area. I was in for a surprise. Since I had never camped, I thought you parked your airplane, pitched your tent, and you were on your own.

When I arrived back at Homebuilt Camping, I saw the big tent and all the people in it. I went over and went in and learned that they have food. I had already eaten but I sat down, introduced myself to some people, and began a wonderful evening of talking about airplanes, etc. About 11:00 p.m. I finally went to my tent and to sleep.

The rest of the week I had breakfast and dinner at the Homebuilt Camping. Almost every night I stayed up until 11:00 p.m. visiting, etc.

On Sunday morning I took my tent down, got the airplane ready, and flew home.

This year was my best experience at Sun 'N Fun. The main reason was because of the great experience at Homebuilt Camping. Heidi, the chairman, and all of her volunteers did a wonderful job. Everyone who was there owes them a huge thank you. The other people who were camping there were great, fun to talk to, and I learned many things.

The other reason it was the best experience is because I had 4 full days at the show. I have always been rushed before but this time I took 1 day just for forums. I did and saw everything I wanted to this year which is also a first for me. Always before I left saying I wish I would have had time to do ??????.

Homebuilt Camping was a good distance from the main show area. Most of the time I rode a tram in the morning, and stayed until dinner time, and then rode a tram back. I was fortunate I didn't have to wait long.

But this was my best Sun 'N Fun and I will definitely be back next year and will be camping again.

I personally disagree with some of your conclusions, Bob, but I appreciate the fact that you gave SnF a shot this year.

SnF moved the Homebuilt parking area because of chronic complaints about the access to the old area, so now we...we (I'm an RV owner as well)...have a place to sit and compare builds. Yes, it is further from the core than the old parking area. And yes, it's still closer than what you'll find at Airventure.

I'll let SnF address the rebranding, but bear in mind that the new parking areas are a work in progress. Next year's HB parking lot will be substantially increased in the same vicinity, with the ability to park all HB's in the same geographic area.

SnF needs everybody's participation, and there is nothing I like more than seeing an airport filled with visitors, especially fellow homebuilts. Give us a chance to further improve our facilities, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Sorry Sam, I'm not buying it. I was told that next year it will be farther south toward paradise city, making the taxi even worse than the mess it was this year leaving I got to taxi all the way to the west end then almost all the way back to the east end. there is also no hard surface taxiway in that area so its will be a long taxi across grass. The long ez guys will just love that. Maybe they can give more area to the warbird camping compound for more busses and party areas.

Make excuses for them all you want, but people that have volunteered in hb for years told me the same thing, they really don't want us anymore. I will give them what they want. After 20 years I'm done.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb

I have been to Sun 'N Fun about 15 times. Usually 1 or 2 days and I always stayed in motels.

This year I flew in on Tuesday, and yes I did get to enjoy Lake Parker because of a Bonanza with gear problems, and parked my RV-12 in the Homebuilt Camping. I tied down the aircraft, pitched my tent, put my stuff in the tent, and then went off to buy my wristband, etc. and headed to the main part of the show. It was about 5:30 p.m. so I decided to have dinner and a beer and the went back to the Homebuilt Camping area. I was in for a surprise. Since I had never camped, I thought you parked your airplane, pitched your tent, and you were on your own.

When I arrived back at Homebuilt Camping, I saw the big tent and all the people in it. I went over and went in and learned that they have food. I had already eaten but I sat down, introduced myself to some people, and began a wonderful evening of talking about airplanes, etc. About 11:00 p.m. I finally went to my tent and to sleep.

The rest of the week I had breakfast and dinner at the Homebuilt Camping. Almost every night I stayed up until 11:00 p.m. visiting, etc.

This year was my best experience at Sun 'N Fun. The main reason was because of the great experience at Homebuilt Camping. Heidi, the chairman, and all of her volunteers did a wonderful job. Everyone who was there owes them a huge thank you. The other people who were camping there were great, fun to talk to, and I learned many things.

The other reason it was the best experience is because I had 4 full days at the show. I have always been rushed before but this time I took 1 day just for forums. I did and saw everything I wanted to this year which is also a first for me. Always before I left saying I wish I would have had time to do ??????.

Homebuilt Camping was a good distance from the main show area. Most of the time I rode a tram in the morning, and stayed until dinner time, and then rode a tram back. I was fortunate I didn't have to wait long.

But this was my best Sun 'N Fun and I will definitely be back next year and will be camping again.
Thanks for the good report - renewed my interest for next year!

Make excuses for them all you want, but people that have volunteered in hb for years told me the same thing, they really don't want us anymore.

Bob, I am flummoxed that anyone in HB parking would say such a thing, since the Chairwoman of that area specifically asked to make the parking area change because of constant complaints.

All I can say is this. We made a change that some folks didn't like, fell short with how much area we would have this year, then made the best of it for 2019. We can and will continue to work to make it better for 20 and beyond.

I guess it's all about expectation management. This was my first Sun-n-Fun since about 2001-2002. We volunteered at the event with EAA Chapter 175 so this was new for us to be working vs just attending. We also didn't fly in or camp as we only live about 35 mins away now. All in all it was quite enjoyable, but in a different fashion from our normal OSH routine-- it was was more laid back. We didn't seem rushed but we didn't party as much either.

I liked that the vendor hangars were smaller than OSH and had way fewer non-aviation vendors trying to sell me ****. However, all the vendors I wanted to see were there (like Garmin so I could update my transponder firmware). My wife bought me a new handheld Yaesu radio for my birthday to replace my ancient but still working Bendix-King KX99. So all was good on the shopping front.

I got to see my college roommate fly one of the A-1 Skyraiders twice during the airshow Vietnam reenactment of the rescue of a downed F-105 pilot.

I got to give close examination to the Vashon Ranger. Really nice LSA. If anyone is looking for what a high-wing RV-12 would be, this is as close as you can get without having "RV" stamped on it.

Generally I was very pleased with the experience and plan to be back next year.

Last edited:
Sun 'n Fun EAA involvement

My first Sun 'n Fun was 1981, and what a wonderful event it was! Now I'm wondering when the EAA's direct involvement ended?

I flew down from WI for the show. It was my second time at Sun n Fun, first time camping under the wing at HBC. The HBC tent was wonderful and I thank all the folks enough who cooked meals daily and provided the space to socialize.

The layout of the camping area was a bit odd, portapottys were one way while showers were the other direction. That said, everything was as close or closer than camping at Osh. HBC had a generator and power running in the white tent 24 hours to charge devices and batteries.

As to location, I like being able to access my camp site during the air show and it feels safer slightly out of the way. It?s a 20 minute walk from HBC to the main camping area on the far west side.

The map could be improved.

All in all it was a fun experience.

John

Next year show up at the Silver Wings cabin for a $5 lunch.

John Morgan

This year was my first time flying in, 4th time overall. After a long flight from WI I was really happy to discover the HBC tent had everything we needed, they even offered dinner! Honestly this was better food/drink than I've ever had at OSH and it made life for a camper soooo much easier. I'd love it if we were able to reproduce this part of it at OSH. I'll add that Heidi (Chairperson) was very attentive and wanted to make sure everyone had enough to eat and a good time. When I win the lottery, I want her to manage all my camping.

My one complaint is the bathroom/shower situation. The showers got nasty very quickly, I was often standing in a pond of clogged shower water. On the bathrooms, it would be nice if porta-potties were not the only option. They are fine but... well... :)

I didn't mind the walk, I could use the exercise and there were airplanes to look at and often rides available.

Overall a great experience, I'll do it again.

This year was my best experience at Sun 'N Fun. The main reason was because of the great experience at Homebuilt Camping. ?.

I echo Johns opinion on HBC. Hedi did an outstanding job. I have been to SNF over a dozen times usually volunteering parking planes at HB and this was my first time at HBC. It was very friendly and enjoyable. Smaller than Oskhosh HBC but I think there is a lesson for Oshkosh.... have food and drink available to campers. For SNF have closer and more showers and some outdoor sinks for shaving and brushing teeth.

I understand the concept behind moving HB parking for access during the fly-overs and air shows but it was so far removed from show center that there was far fewer planes and even fewer people that came down to see them. SNF must find a better location if they want to support homebuilders.

I understand the concept behind moving HB parking for access during the fly-overs and air shows but it was so far removed from show center that there was far fewer planes and even fewer people that came down to see them. SNF must find a better location if they want to support homebuilders.

I wonder if they would consider using the taxiway as the centerline for flyovers and the air show?

That way, they could allow access the the old HB area during the show.

After reading about the rebranding of S-N-F and the emphasis on youth education I have to wonder if homebuilts are much of a priority anymore....maybe this is an effort to get them out of show center to reduce their exposure. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I wonder if they would consider using the taxiway as the centerline for flyovers and the air show?

That way, they could allow access the the old HB area during the show.

Kyle, we explored that option when the FAA began to become critical of our Showcase pattern and it's overflight of the old HB parking area. Unfortunately, we can't move further north. Using Papa taxiway would bring those Showcase aircraft too close to the 27R/09L runway operations, and it's simply unsafe to put aircraft in that close proximity to each other.

In addition, the Showcase pattern is a highly sought after commodity by vendors who are touting their designs. Moving the pattern away from the crowd, or higher, diminishes the return on their efforts. Thus we had to leave the Showcase overflight pattern over taxiway D, and infringe upon the old HB parking area.

Back