What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto LET (leading edge tape)

ALagonia

Well Known Member
I am considering applying the Catto LET, leading edge tape, to my three blade Catto prop. It is claimed to help or prevent erosion to the leading edge of the propeller blades.
Does anybody have any experience using this product? And if so what are your thoughts? Does it work as claimed, are you glad you did it, would you do it again on another Catto prop?
Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Have flown 500 hours, through occasional rain and occasionally off grass and gravel strips. The tape is a bit scuffed and nicked in places but the underlying prop is in perfect condition.

I have Craig's three blade with nickel leading edge but he also puts the tape on the inboard section of the blades where the NLE is only on the last 12" of tip.
My tape has held up well with 450 hours and lots of rain. If I didn't have the NLE I would sure use the tape on the entire edge.

I use LE tape on the entire leading edge of my 3 blade Catto and change it every other annual or unless it needs it earlier. Harder to get off the longer you leave it on in the Texas heat.

This has been great info. Placing my order right now.
Thank you all for responding. This site is awesome when forced with a decision to make.

Tape works well at preventing rain erosion however...
It is hard to get the tape to adhere to the curved tip of the blade without buckling and failing in that location.
Due to the above, the tip is unprotected and erodes on the leading edge.
After one good flight through rain, my experience is the tape gets damaged to the point that it requires replacement.

I have an older 3 blade Catto on my garage wall due to too much leading edge damage flying through rain, mist, etc. If it were one of his newer ones with the nickel leading edge, I would likely still be flying it today.

I used a prop tape from Spruce and followed Catto's installation guidelines. Not sure which one - would have to look it up. I have flown through rain many times, always at 2700 RPM. It works and would not even think about flying through rain without it.

I am told the tape costs about 3 knots and I saw a reduction after applying it.

Larry

Tape works well at preventing rain erosion however...
It is hard to get the tape to adhere to the curved tip of the blade without buckling and failing in that location.
Due to the above, the tip is unprotected and erodes on the leading edge.
After one good flight through rain, my experience is the tape gets damaged to the point that it requires replacement.

I have an older 3 blade Catto on my garage wall due to too much leading edge damage flying through rain, mist, etc. If it were one of his newer ones with the nickel leading edge, I would likely still be flying it today.

I think this is an installation issue. I had that issue the first time I put tape on, but the second time has been 100 hours and no issue. It does separate at the very edge and Craig recommends a drop of super glue to hold it there.

To the OP, installation is straight forward. I got finger prints on the first attempt. Second attempt was much better. Like most things in life, practice makes perfect.
Larry

I put the LET on my three blade Catto prop today. Learning curve is an understatement. First prop looks terrible. Second prop almost as bad. Third prop is acceptable.
Question for those that have used the LET more than one time - how do I remove the tape without damaging the painted prop blade?
I simply can?t live with my installation of the first two prop blades but am terrified the paint will come off.
Help please.

I put the LET on my three blade Catto prop today. Learning curve is an understatement. First prop looks terrible. Second prop almost as bad. Third prop is acceptable.
Question for those that have used the LET more than one time - how do I remove the tape without damaging the painted prop blade?
I simply can?t live with my installation of the first two prop blades but am terrified the paint will come off.
Help please.

Pretty sure I just pulled it off. Heat always helps with this type of task and I may have used a heat gun to soften up the adhesive.

Larry

Back