What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to do in California?

Daida

Well Known Member
Hi Folks!

I am on a vacation trip with my family ( wife and 2.5 year old son).
Tomorrow we will arive in Corona, where i will make a stop at the Spruce shop.
The day after, my wife wants to go on a bus tour trough L.A., i will not go with her because i've been there, done that.
In the following days we travel up the coast via the pacific coast highway to San Franzisco. From there we will take a domestic flight to the Washington D.C. Area.
I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions what to do, aviation related, where my son could join me. especially in the L.A. area.

Why i write just now??

Good question, don't know!

Thanks in advance.

Carmel - good food and nice beach. The 17 mile Drive along the coast and through Pebble Beach Golf Course is a don't miss. Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk will be fun. Get a corn dog!

If you get over the Golden Gate Bridge, Muir Woods and Stinson Beach are pretty. Sausalito is a fun place to walk around and get good seafood.

Lots of fun places. There is always Disnelyand - much better than a bus tour!!

Have fun and welcome to The United States!

Santa Monica's nice. Typhoon at KSMO has amazing Asian fusion fare and a spectacular view of the runway. There's also the pier, the Promenade, the beach, and for epic people-watching, go a little bit south to the Venice Boardwalk.

You could go to the California Science centre to see the Space shuttle Endeavour.

And for an aviation themed lunch or dinner the 'Proud Bird' is hard to beat, just outside of LAX and over the road from the runway threshold.

Corona is not far from Chino where the Planes of Fame museum is located.

If it looks like you'll get to SFO too early, you can stop by the Hiller aviation museum, located at the San Carlos airport just a few miles south of SFO, right off Highway 101.

Things to see.

I agree with Planes of Fame. You can stop and have lunch at Flo's . Real close to the Museum. Palm Springs air Museum is cool also. It's Right off the runway at Palm Srpings intl airport. Also has a restaurant inside.:D

If you like airplanes, stop at Santa Paula (SZP) and walk around.

Dave

SUNDAY, APRIL 5TH, IS OPEN-HANGAR DAY AT SANTA PAULA; THE VERY BEST DAY TO GO!!!!! Rosie

Last edited by a moderator:
Visit KAJO

Tomorrow we will arive in Corona, where i will make a stop at the Spruce shop.

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the USA and Corona. I hanger my RV7 at Corona Municipal Airport (KAKO) which is a few minutes drive from Aircraft Spruce (the downwind leg for KAJO flies right over Aircraft Spruce).

We have a friendly group at Corona and we'd be happy to show you around. We have several RV's as well as other unique aircraft on the airport. Stop by and see me at hanger number 1955-42 and I'm sure the group will have a few more ideas for you.

I agree that Planes of Fame would be a good stop as well as Yanks Air Museum ( www.yankeeairmuseum.org ) also at Chino Airport.

If you get lost, call me on my cell phone at (949) 279-1800

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep coming!

Hi Jake!
Unfortunately i will not be able to meet you guys, but many thanks for the invitation!! May be next time!
I applied for a job in the Phoenix area starting next summer, i keep you posted!
I have been to the Planes of Fame Museum today, just awesome!
Tomorrow we will start to work our way up northbound.
Consider yourself lucky to have the Spruce shop nearby, especially for the little bits and pieces (bolts, nuts, screws,...). Shipping to europe sometimes means a unwanted delay on my projekt!

All others......
Please keep coming with your ideas.
Thanks everybody who already suggested something.

As we do not follow a strict roadbook on our vacation but rather do day by day decissions how we proceed, i will try to manage to see as much as possible from your ideas.

Best regards!

Daida

It's probably out of your way and perhaps to late but the Midway in San Diego is a fantastic place to visit for a avaition museum.
The drive up the cost is simply great and your family should love it. Places to stop include the Hearst Castle and the Monterray area. Great Marine museum in Monterray and don't miss the 17 mile drive already posted about in Carmel.
In San Francisco a must do family activity is to ride bikes over the Golden Gate Bridge and have lunch in Sausolito. You then ride the Ferry back. There are numerous Bike Rental companies catering to this ride.
Since you mentioned flying to DC I am sure you have the Air and Space museum on your list. Don't forget the annex at Dulles.
George

Last edited:
Hearst Castle has a runway, so it's aviation related!

The Monterey Bay Aquarium would be a great half day for a 2.5 year old. I even liked it on my third visit.

Back