What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans locking fuel cap keys

AN23

Well Known Member
Our recently purchased RV-8 has the Van's supplied Newton licking fuel caps. The airplane came with only one key and our lical locksmiths do not have the correct key blank. I have found the key (already cut) at a heavy equipment dealer in France. The key has 044 stamped on it. The company will only sell in lots of ten. Does anyone else need one of these keys?

Our recently purchased RV-8 has the Van's supplied Newton licking fuel caps. The airplane came with only one key and our lical locksmiths do not have the correct key blank. I have found the key (already cut) at a heavy equipment dealer in France. The key has 044 stamped on it. The company will only sell in lots of ten. Does anyone else need one of these keys?

What brand of heavy equipment? Might try the local rental yards of that brand. They will surely have spares.

Shoot me a PM. I have some cylinders and keys for these caps. A couple years ago I decided I wanted a spare cap for my flight bag, so I reached out to Newton to get a new cap that was keyed to match my existing caps. Well, Newton changes lock design every few years, and the old cylinders are no longer available.

Long story short, I ordered a new cap plus two new matching cylinders/keys for my existing caps. They're super easy to change, just a single c-clip holds them in the cap. I'll be glad to send you my two old cylinders and keys for the price of shipping.

Last edited:
Back