What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Boarding step for tail dragger

Veetail88

Well Known Member
Anyone installed the boarding step on an 8 tail dragger! Thinking about it as that first big step is kind of a pain. Pics please!

step

I have them on my 7 because I converted from an A to taildragger. It is good for loading kids and older people

I have them on my 7 because I converted from an A to taildragger. It is good for loading kids and older people

I’m purposefully installing them on my -7 taildragger project for this exact reason. The two modifications that I did was to shorten them by 4” and I’m making them removable. If/when I remove them I’ll just have little cover plates held on by four screws each to cover the holes.

If you decide to install them on your -8, I’d definitely take some measurements and shorten them as needed, but I suspect you’ll need to shorten them by about 4” as I did on my -7, because on a taildragger the stock length of the steps will put them too low to the ground. You basically want to make the length of the steps to be so that it’s a “natural stride”...or as close to a natural stride as possible, that your step from the ground to the step and then from the step to wing as close as possible.

Last edited:
I installed them on a 9 which was converted from a 9A airframe. Use them every time i get in not so much in getting out. But they are very handy in making that first step up onto the wing especially as things get older! The steps were the ones furnished for the 9A kit, I did not shorten or look for different ones. Operate the 9 off a grass strip and will ocassionally pull grass off the step

If you do decide to install them and want to shorten them, McCutcheon Metal Fabrication makes them for Van's and will do a superb job of shortening them for a small fee.
On my -7 I shortened them 3" but 4" would also have worked.

You can contact McCutcheon Metal Fabrication on Facebook...

Steps

I converted my 9a build to a 9. Kept the steps the standard size and would not change them and happy to have them.

If you do decide to install them and want to shorten them, McCutcheon Metal Fabrication makes them for Van's and will do a superb job of shortening them for a small fee.
On my -7 I shortened them 3" but 4" would also have worked.

You can contact McCutcheon Metal Fabrication on Facebook...

Yes, that?s exactly what I did. He charged me $100 to do the work.

Regarding how much to shorten the steps, I took the measurement straight down from the center point of where the step enters the fuselage down to the ground. I then put the step in position and measured from where you put your foot on the step, to the ground.

I then laid a straight edge on the wing going aft.... simulating the trailing edge of the wing continuing aft. Then I just split the difference in the measurements.

Basically, I wanted it to be the same natural step distance from the ground, to the step, then to the wing. That?s how I came up with the 4? that needed to be removed.

Taildragger Steps

I thought the stock length 9A steps looked too long on a 9 so shortened mine 4? and put 2 on of lead shot in the footpeg section. I?m 5?9? and wife is shorter.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

I did not install them on my -9 and as I age, I realize what a big step up it is.

I bought a small folding stool to help passengers get in and out. A big help with Young Eagles flights.

Step on an 8

Yes, I installed a step on the left side of my -8, I used the standard-8A step and tried to follow the -8A instructions as best I could. I was a bit of a pain to install on a -8 that has been flying for seven years. I had to remove the floor under the rear seat and the floor for the forward part of the aft baggage compartment to get access to all the rivets. (I did this during a condition inspection, since some of that is removed anyway) But, I am very happy with the results, I think the length of the step is fine. There are no issues with ground (or flap) clearance.

Yes, learning from my aging neighbor, who now uses a step stool tied at the end of a rope to retract it after use! I intend to install a step on mine; I was figuring on shortening it by 3 1/2?...

Back