What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding Autopilot servos to a finished RV-12

NinerBikes

Well Known Member
Since I would be buying the plane used, and don't have blueprints, where are the servo motors located and access to them? Under the seat panel or under the floor board, or under panel where storage and fuel tank is, or both? assume they attach to the linkage for the joy stick, or near floor for storage area / fuel tank?

I would need to order servo kits from Van's to keep it ELSA, I assume. Since I am a much better visual learner, does anyone have any pictures of doing their servo install?

Last edited:
The pitch servo is under the seat pan, pilot side:
i-gxqVCbN-L.png

The roll servo is behind the baggage bulkhead in the tail cone. Mounts on these brackets:
i-ZCGPJmn-L.jpg

i-45r7MJk-L.jpg

Order the digital plans and all will be clear.

Thanks, Tony T. Looks reasonable, then just getting the wiring harnesses in to the back of the instrument panel.

Any idea what year or serial # the mounts became standard in the builds, vs an addition to install when you bought the servos?

Last edited:
The wiring should already be in place. Don't know when the servo mounting brackets became standard, but probably early on. The builder should be able to answer that question.

In the context of your other thread asking about aircraft weights...... the weight of the different options on the RV-12 are pretty well known.
Adding the autopilot will add about 5 lbs.

Fuselage kits being shipped as early as 2009 included the autopilot servo brackets.

I would need to order servo kits from Van's to keep it ELSA, I assume.
No, not if the plane has completed the flight testing phase. You are free to make any changes desired as long as the plane still meets the definition of LSA, i.e., speed, weight, fixed gear, fixed prop, and etc.

In the context of your other thread asking about aircraft weights...... the weight of the different options on the RV-12 are pretty well known.
Adding the autopilot will add about 5 lbs.

Fuselage kits being shipped as early as 2009 included the autopilot servo brackets.

1202xx ? With bracket by that production point, since I've no idea fuselage sales in what year sold.

Roll servo

I have just went thru this same process of adding a roll servo to my RV-12. I had to order the bracket kit from Vans. AP 12 bracket kit. I saved a lot of money ordering the servo direct from Dynon. I suggest you also get a momentary switch and capacitor from another source. I did not want the pitch servo. You can email me should you have further questions. Mike

I have just went thru this same process of adding a roll servo to my RV-12. I had to order the bracket kit from Vans. AP 12 bracket kit. I saved a lot of money ordering the servo direct from Dynon. I suggest you also get a momentary switch and capacitor from another source. I did not want the pitch servo. You can email me should you have further questions. Mike

Thoughts for bypassing the pitch servo? Fighting air currents, lift and drop, up an down?

I went on a long cross country flight once with the autopilot turned on. There were scattered clouds that caused up and down drafts. The D-180 was constantly asking me to adjust the trim so the pitch servo would not have to work so hard. So I turned the pitch function off and let the plane go up and down with the drafts. There was no more climbing or descending trying to hold a constant altitude. It made for a much more pleasant flight. If the average altitude eventually became too high or low, I would adjust the throttle slightly.

Back