What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lighting Options

Jetmart

Well Known Member
After searching the forum I still need some clarity on the latest RV-14 lighting options.

Looking for best solution not the cheapest.

Do the RV-14 QB wings come with pre-cut leading edge landing light cutouts? Does this preclude using an all in one light in the wings tips like for example the works light kit from Flyleds?

I opened to any suggestions or ideas on the latest setup on lighting.

Last edited:
The leading edge cut outs come pre cut from the factory so the QB will have them. You would need standard wing lighting and PAR36 lights in the cut outs for landing/taxi lighting. If you like FlyLeds (I do) then you can get the standard Rv14 position lights and the seven stars lights for the wing cut outs. The seven stars fit the PAR36 mounts.

I ordered all the optional lighting kits (AeroLEDS) from Van's and I'm very happy with them. Wig-wags are visible from very long distances, instructions are easy to follow, quality appears to be very good. No complaints or issues here.

I ordered all the optional lighting kits (AeroLEDS) from Van's and I'm very happy with them. Wig-wags are visible from very long distances, instructions are easy to follow, quality appears to be very good. No complaints or issues here.

Do you fly it at night?
Did you use AeroLeds all around? Nav, Strobes, and Tail?
That is what I am leaning towards.

Do you fly it at night?
Did you use AeroLeds all around? Nav, Strobes, and Tail?
That is what I am leaning towards.

Haven't flown at night yet (63 hours on airplane). Hangar tests look good. (No separate taxi/landing lights - could aim each wing a bit differently).

Yes I have them all around - nav/strobes and landing lights, all mounted using standard Van's kits and wiring harnesses. (I have used my own connectors in some places)

I installed Aero LEDs all the way around - strobes and Navs on tail and tips, and dual landing lights. I have flown many times at night and am very, very pleased with the performance. I have done a go-around and the landing lights lit up 3000 feet of runway. I?ve had many comments on the high visibility of the wig-wag landing lights during the day - a pilot in the run up area said I was visible 4 miles out on a practice instrument approach.

After searching the forum I still need some clarity on the latest RV-14 lighting options.

Do the RV-14 QB wings come with pre-cut leading edge landing light cutouts? Does this preclude using an all in one light in the wings tips like for example the works light kit from Flyleds?

Hi Glenn
You have some nice big light bays in the leading edges that will happily house either our Combo lights or (if you're looking for the best...) our Seven Stars lights. These literally turn night into day.
We have had more than a few customers buy both The Works kit as well as the Seven Stars lights, so anything is possible!

A forum member enlarged the light bay in his RV-10 wings to be the same as the RV-14 cutouts in this post.

I installed Aero LEDs all the way around - strobes and Navs on tail and tips, and dual landing lights. I have flown many times at night and am very, very pleased with the performance. I have done a go-around and the landing lights lit up 3000 feet of runway. I?ve had many comments on the high visibility of the wig-wag landing lights during the day - a pilot in the run up area said I was visible 4 miles out on a practice instrument approach.

Keith. What landing lights did you go with specifically from Aero LEDs?
Are they AeroLED Sunspot LX Landing light listed here on Van's site?

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-b...638-408-624&browse=lighting&product=LX_RV-14-.

I'm going this route or with Flyleds.

A friend of mine shot a video of me on a very long straight in landing (towered field). On this page: https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/2019/05/shes-fast.html

Hi Glenn
You have some nice big light bays in the leading edges that will happily house either our Combo lights or (if you're looking for the best...) our Seven Stars lights. These literally turn night into day.
We have had more than a few customers buy both The Works kit as well

Hi Paul,

What if you just want the seven stars or the combo lights in the wing cutout positions, and then at the wingtips just the nav and strobes? Can you still get the 30% power strobe for flood lighting / taxiing with the original kit? Or do you reckon the works Kit is better so you get taxi / nav / strobe at the wings (plus flood) then landing lights for flight? Seems like overkill perhaps with landing lights in the cutouts and on the tips? What would be ideal is the seven stars in the wing cutouts, but in the tips a single taxi light plus nav and strobe (and flood on the strobes). Is this at all possible?

I’m planning what will go in my wings now and trying to get my head around what wiring will be required. The 14ga for the seven stars will require a bigger wing connector I think (series 1 CPC or Deutsche DT or maybe 2 18ga wires per wing for just the landing lights and the smaller DTM). Head explosion.

In short - what would you recommend for a night IFR machine tailwheel?

Last edited:
Keith. What landing lights did you go with specifically from Aero LEDs?
Are they AeroLED Sunspot LX Landing light listed here on Van's site?

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-b...638-408-624&browse=lighting&product=LX_RV-14-.

I'm going this route or with Flyleds.

I purchased my landing lights in 2016. The description on the installation instructions is Sunspot 36LX. (It's possible there has been a product update as this field is changing rapidly, but they only get better).

Hi Paul,

What if you just want the seven stars or the combo lights in the wing cutout positions, and then at the wingtips just the nav and strobes? Can you still get the 30% power strobe for flood lighting / taxiing with the original kit? Or do you reckon the works Kit is better so you get taxi / nav / strobe at the wings (plus flood) then landing lights for flight? Seems like overkill perhaps with landing lights in the cutouts and on the tips? What would be ideal is the seven stars in the wing cutouts, but in the tips a single taxi light plus nav and strobe (and flood on the strobes). Is this at all possible?

I?m planning what will go in my wings now and trying to get my head around what wiring will be required. The 14ga for the seven stars will require a bigger wing connector I think (series 1 CPC or Deutsche DT or maybe 2 18ga wires per wing for just the landing lights and the smaller DTM). Head explosion.

In short - what would you recommend for a night IFR machine tailwheel?
For a tail dragger I would recommend our Original Flyleds kit for the wingtips and two Combo lights in the leading edges. You get to have landing lights and taxi lights on both wings that way, rather than putting up with the usual one light aimed up, one down.
Plan B could be to go with the Skinny boards for the wingtips which would give you room for a couple of spotlights aimed for taxiing. Then put two Seven Stars lights in the leading edges and you'll have enough light to see into tomorrow...

I can add the flood function to the Original kit as well, noting that you wouldn't want to taxi on this alone but it's great additional light to regular forward aimed taxi lights.

Hey all,
I am going to use fly leds and omitted lighting from my wing order. Do the par 36 mounting brackets come with the wing kit? If not, how do I order them? I called vans and they didn?t seem to know what I was talking about..
Thanks!

Hey all,
I am going to use fly leds and omitted lighting from my wing order. Do the par 36 mounting brackets come with the wing kit? If not, how do I order them? I called vans and they didn’t seem to know what I was talking about..
Thanks!

There is a landing light sub kit with a separate plans section number. You need to order the kit and delete the lights themselves from the kit to get all of the PAR36 brackets and hardware. You want section OP-52A "Sunspot Light kit" and delete the bulbs.
oF8.jpg

Last edited:
For a tail dragger I would recommend our Original Flyleds kit for the wingtips and two Combo lights in the leading edges. You get to have landing lights and taxi lights on both wings that way, rather than putting up with the usual one light aimed up, one down.
Plan B could be to go with the Skinny boards for the wingtips which would give you room for a couple of spotlights aimed for taxiing. Then put two Seven Stars lights in the leading edges and you'll have enough light to see into tomorrow...

I can add the flood function to the Original kit as well, noting that you wouldn't want to taxi on this alone but it's great additional light to regular forward aimed taxi lights.

Hi Paul,
Concerning the RV-14 A model. If the 7 stars are placed in the wing leading edges, can you dedicate 1 or 2 lights in each wing to taxi lights? are the 7 stars adjustable? In other words, can you adjust 2 of the 7 lights downward for taxi purposes and dedicate a separate taxi light switch? Sorry for the slight hijack.

Best,
Jim

There is a landing light sub kit with a separate plans section number. You need to order the kit and delete the lights themselves from the kit to get all of the PAR36 brackets and hardware. You want section OP-52A "Sunspot Light kit" and delete the bulbs.
Without having done this myself I don't think there's any value in ordering any of the parts in OP-52A.
The main bracket already comes with the wings. I think it would be a simple job to fabricate some angle and/or forwards adjustment brackets to hold either of the Flyleds lights.

Hi Paul,
Concerning the RV-14 A model. If the 7 stars are placed in the wing leading edges, can you dedicate 1 or 2 lights in each wing to taxi lights? are the 7 stars adjustable? In other words, can you adjust 2 of the 7 lights downward for taxi purposes and dedicate a separate taxi light switch? Sorry for the slight hijack.
Best,
Jim
Hi Jim
As it is today the Seven Stars is all seven spots on at once.
I am thinking of ways to achieve what you're after but I haven't been happy with the methods I've come up with. Yet!

That sounds like the go Paul - thank you for your advice.

A couple more questions sorry!
- for the taxi light - do you just run a seperate wire to one of the 4 spots? And the other wire to the remaining 3?
- while I am about to start the wings, I don?t think it makes sense to purchase the lights as yet. Who know what cool stuff you?ll come up with in a few years - having said that, what wiring would you recommend to put in the wings now to ensure I have what I need later on? (Hard question maybe). I was thinking a 4 core shielded 18awg for the nav/strobe lights and a twisted pair of 14awg for the landing lights maybe?

You asked for the best

Hi Glenn,

Regarding the latest options available for the RV-14 you are absolutely right, there are some newer and brighter lights available. AeroLEDs is proud to be the LED light manufacturer of choice for Vans and our results speak for themselves. For your wingtip cutouts the SunSpot36 LX light is our standard PAR36 light; however, this year we released the SunSpot36-4313 landing and 4314 taxi lights. These are 14 volt, 95 watt lights, which replace the 250 watt GE bulbs. All our lights come fully assembled, for easy, drop-in installation. These lights are all made completely at our facility in Boise, ID.

As you may have seen we also have designed the all in one landing/taxi/recognition light, the AeroSun VX, specifically for the Vans wingtip. All of these can be purchased through Vans. Here are the stats:

SunSpot36 LX: 4,950 lumens, 65,000 candela, 20x20 beam profile
SunSpot36-4313 Landing: 11,000 lumens, 150,000 candela, 20x20 beam profile
AeroSunVX:13,000 lumens, 120,000 candela, 20x20 beam profile

As for your wingtip and tail navigation and strobe lights, we design the brightest available for those as well.

Seeing :eek: is believing, these videos say it better than I can:

AvWeb's lastest LED landing light review
In the pattern at Oshkosh, start at 00:40. This is Willie Stene from Stene Aviation with the AeroSunCX and SunSpot36 lights.
Pulsar NSP installation by Kitplanes Enthusiast

Fly safe and give us a call if you have any questions,
Natalie

That sounds like the go Paul - thank you for your advice.
A couple more questions sorry!
- for the taxi light - do you just run a seperate wire to one of the 4 spots? And the other wire to the remaining 3?
- while I am about to start the wings, I don?t think it makes sense to purchase the lights as yet. Who know what cool stuff you?ll come up with in a few years - having said that, what wiring would you recommend to put in the wings now to ensure I have what I need later on? (Hard question maybe). I was thinking a 4 core shielded 18awg for the nav/strobe lights and a twisted pair of 14awg for the landing lights maybe?
The Combo light has one power input for the main board with the three landing lights on it. The separately aimed (which could be straight ahead for others with an A model) taxi light has its own power input, which you could switch separately or join into the landing light wires. I think I answered your question there...
3 (or 4) core shielded, 18 to 22 AWG will do well for the Flyleds kit. The taxi light will need one run of 18. The Combo light only needs 18AWG, the Seven stars 16 or 14AWG. Twisting two 14AWG wires will be interesting!

Landing wiring but no taxi wiring

Just remember (please double check) the Vans standard fuselage wiring harness (needs to be ordered separately) there is only wiring for landing lights but not taxi lights. I think I remember getting caught with that issue.

Just remember (please double check) the Vans standard fuselage wiring harness (needs to be ordered separately) there is only wiring for landing lights but not taxi lights. I think I remember getting caught with that issue.

Where do the taxi lights go? Is it not in one of the wings? Can you not use the landing light harness in one wing for the landing light? I am building a 14 taildragger.

Where do the taxi lights go? Is it not in one of the wings? Can you not use the landing light harness in one wing for the landing light? I am building a 14 taildragger.
The usual way is/was to aim the light in one wing as a taxi light, so yes you can use the 14AWG wire in the Van's harness for that purpose.

However if you choose to use two of the Flyleds Combo lights you would get landing lights and taxi lights in both wings...
Wires F2291 and F2313 in the WH-00125 fuselage harness can be repurposed to power the Flyleds taxi lights, given that they only draw one amp. These two wires join up with wire L419 in the wings.

We now have wiring diagrams and (soon!) a kit of parts to integrate Flyleds position and strobe kits and landing lights with the Van's harnesses available on our website.

Taxi-Landing lights

After looking up my drawing I ended up using wires F2291 and F2313 for the wig-wag which is how they were intended I believe. FlyLed solution looks good for a combination light and there kit to modify the harness looks straight forward. I am not sure if the wig-wag option is still able to be used but I know others such as vertical power can do it without the synch lines. I ended up running wiring after the fact and it was a little bit of a pain adding wires but doable. (Adding at the same time the harness was installed would be much easier) I am assuming the RV-10 builders had the same issue with using one landing and one taxi. There are some posts out there modifying the harnesses for heated pitot and other issues worth looking at.

Taxi-Landing lights

After looking up my drawing I ended up using wires F2291 and F2313 for the wig-wag which is how they were intended I believe. FlyLed solution looks good for a combination light and there kit to modify the harness looks straight forward. I am not sure if the wig-wag option is still able to be used but I know others such as vertical power can do it without the synch lines. I ended up running wiring after the fact and it was a little bit of a pain adding wires but doable. (Adding at the same time the harness was installed would be much easier) I am assuming the RV-10 builders had the same issue with using one landing and one taxi. There are some posts out there modifying the harnesses for heated pitot and other issues worth looking at.

Back