What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch v3.50 and G3X v10.00 Software Release

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We are pleased to announce new G3X Touch software v3.50 and legacy G3X software v10.00. As usual, the software can be downloaded for free from our website here. The updated software and installation manual is posted on our website. The pilot guide updates should be available for download later today or early tomorrow.

A complete list of changes will be included on our website and at the bottom of this posting.

Garmin ESP-X (Electronic Stability Protection)

We are very excited to announce this advanced new feature is now available on all G3X and G3X Touch systems using the Garmin GSA 28 'smart' autopilot servos. And, as usual, it's all part of a free software update! This technology is the first of its kind in the experimental market. You can find the press release here.

pressrelease.png

With installation of the G3X autopilot servos, you’ll obtain Garmin Electronic Stability and Protection (ESP-X) to provide assistance in maintaining the aircraft in stable flight. When you exceed user-selected pitch, roll or airspeed limitations while hand-flying the aircraft, ESP-X provides gentle nudges on the flight controls to lessen the aircraft’s pitch attitude or bank angle—and that correcting force grows stronger as those exceedances increase. In addition, you’ll see visual cues on the displays of G3X and G3X Touch indicating that ESP-X is engaged: Yellow chevrons provide visual pitch guidance, and configurable roll-limit indicators indicate where ESP-X engages to provide bank guidance.

FullESP.png

As you take corrective action, ESP-X fades, and it turns off when you return to a normal flight envelope. Conversely, if the system activates for more than fifteen seconds—for example, if you become incapacitated—the autopilot engages with the flight director in Level Mode, bringing the aircraft to level flight until you command otherwise. While ESP-X will not recover an aircraft in all in-flight situations, the system does provide an extra safeguard.

But ESP-X goes beyond providing pitch and bank envelope protection to also offer high- and low-airspeed protection. In a high-airspeed situation, ESP-X engages the G3X autopilot servos to increase your pitch attitude, while built-in parameters further prevent the aircraft from exceeding G-limit load factors. In low airspeed situations, ESP-X engages to provide a gentle pitch-down force to reduce the likelihood of a stall—and ESP-X automatically disables when the aircraft is operating within 200 feet of the ground. In addition, pitch, roll and airspeed envelope protection parameters are all customizable, and for flight training or aerobatics, you can easily inhibit Garmin ESP-X within the automatic flight control system menu of G3X and G3X Touch, or with an optional switch in the panel.

SplitESP.png

Glide Range Ring

The G3X Touch Glide Range Ring is displayed as a cyan ring around the estimated area that can be reached by the aircraft in the best glide range configuration. The Glide Range Ring fades into view on the map as the aircraft climbs through 500 feet AGL. The range is based on the Best Glide Speed (VG) and Sink Rate (at VG) entered by the pilot. Best Glide and Sink Rate are combined with the aircraft's height (AGL), wind, and bank angle to determine the distance the aircraft can travel.

gliderangezoomedout.png

Best Airport Bearing Pointer

The G3X Touch Best Airport Bearing Pointer feature is tied to the Glide Range Ring function. The Best Airport Bearing Pointer points to the airport within the Glide Range Ring that is considered the best option for a landing based on the following criteria:

1. User entered glide performance (Sink Rate and Best Glide Speed).
  2. Aircraft altitude and direction of flight.
  3. Airport elevation.
  4. Wind velocity.
  5. The expected flyover altitude (i.e., airports with 1000' or greater margin take precedence).
  6. Hard surface runways (i.e., paved runways take precedence over grass runways).
  7. Runway lengths.
  8. Runway alignment with the wind (if known).

In the example shown below, although Hayden Farm (00KS) and Gardner (K34) are closer to the current aircraft position, the algorithm is smart enough to know that New Century (KIXD) is within the aircraft glide range and is a better choice because it has a hard surface runway over 7000' long and it is oriented into the wind.

gliderangezoomed.png

This same algorithm is used to provide a Best Glide Airport option on the Direct To Nearest Airports page shown below. This allows you to quickly and easily press the dedicated Direct To button on the display bezel, and navigate to the Best Airport. Or you can simply touch the waypoint on the moving map, hit the dedicated Direct To button and navigate. If you use NAV autopilot coupling with this Direct To navigation and set the autopilot to fly the best glide speed using IAS mode, you are now freed up to troubleshoot an emergency while the aircraft proceeds direct to the Best Airport while maintaining best glide speed.

gliderangedirect.png

The Glide Range Ring and Best Airport Bearing Pointer feature are being looked at for addition to the legacy G3X system as part of a future update.

G3X Touch v3.00 to v3.50 Change List:

• Add estimated glide range ring to map
  • Add "Best Airport" bearing pointer option
  • Add ability to invert video input image
  • Add config mode status indication when using dedicated AHRS RS-232 port
  • Improve SiriusXM METAR processing
  • Improve storage of fuel calculator values when display is quickly powered on and off
  • Improve PFD turn rate display
  • Improve map display when using OBS mode with external GPS navigation source
  • Change knob label text to clarify normal or reverse map zoom behavior
  • General improvements to system operation
  • Includes GTR20/200 software version 2.60

Legacy G3X v9.20 to v10.00 Change List:

• Added support for oil pressure, fuel pressure, manifold pressure, fuel flow, and RPM user-defined sensors.
  • Added support for miscellaneous temperature, pressure, and analog voltage measurement user-customized gauges.
  • Added forward and return flow display when calibrating differential fuel flow.
  • Improved fuel flow display with noisy signals.
  • Changed flight director GS and GP modes to allow capture from both above and below.
  • General improvements to system operation.
  • Includes update to audio database version 2.20.

Changes in both G3X Touch v3.50 and G3X v10.00:

• Added support for Electronic Stability and Protection (ESP).
  • Added support for GTX 23/33/330 software version 8.00.
  • Includes update to GSA 28 software version 2.90.
  • Includes update to GDL 39 software version 4.40.
  • Includes GEA24 software version 2.60.
  • Includes GAD29 software version 2.20.
  • Includes GI260 software version 2.50.
  • Includes GSU25 software version 3.10.
  • Includes GSU73 software version 3.40.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
Since my wife is a non-pilot and does fly CC trips with me, I sometimes ask her: "So I just went unconscious for some reason, what are you gonna do besides sit there and do nothing until the plane either starts shedding parts or hits something hard?"

When I added the GMC305, I told her about the magic blue button but she always forgets the correct answer which is "Push the oddball blue button!".

With this ESP-X feature, even if she forgets to push the blue button, there is a good chance ESP-X will push it for her in the event I check out.

I am not even finished installing my panel and the upgraded software and features is more than I even imagined possible. I was flying under the hood the other day and I could feel the instructor lightly and then a bit more force correcting my bank in a descending turn. It took a second and then I realized what was going on and corrected myself.

What an exciting time we live in and the technology available to us - not just G3X equipped planes but all the newer EFIS panels.

Some may scoff at this and say if you can't recognize a stall or some other flight control problem, you shouldn't be flying. That's probably true. The problem is we believe we can handle everything. If we didn't, we wouldn't be up in the air at all.

Just like the sensor in my car that tells me when I am backing up Im about to hit something, I love the fact that correction can come if I get careless or try to make the impossible turn.

this is outstanding news! the glide ring is exactly what I was looking for, the added best airport info is just icing on the cake, awesome job

Great update! Hope you can make these part of the original G3X system soon.

Glad to hear our friends at Garmin are keen on copying features from a two-year old (albeit cancelled) Vertical Power product. :) Now if they could only couple the autopilot to glide to the best airport...

I've got a SkyView system in my -9, but this is one heck of a selling point for Garmin. Well done.

The ability to couple both navigation and speed controls during an emergency while proceeding direct to the best airport will surely save lives by avoiding distractions.

Great update! Hope you can make these part of the original G3X system soon.

Glad to hear our friends at Garmin are keen on copying features from a two-year old (albeit cancelled) Vertical Power product. :) Now if they could only couple the autopilot to glide to the best airport...

That comes off a bit bitter for some reason. Care to share Marc? We are here for you man....

Hello,

You probably noticed that this update also includes GDL 39/39R software version 4.40 which supports the ADS-B Compliance checking feature provided by Garmin Pilot for iOS V7.2.

You can run an ADS-B compliance check on your aircraft or any others transmitting ADS-B Out on either 978 Mhz (UAT) or 1090 Mhz (1090ES). As long as all the parameters are green, you are all set.

Here is a tip for those of you using a GTX23ES with either a GNS 4XXW/5XXW or GTN 6XX/7XX. If your SDA and SIL are both 0 (and red), and everything else is green, you have a properly setup and operating ADS-B Out+ link from the GNS/GTN to your GTX23ES, but your GPS Integrity is set to "VFR GPS" on the transponder configuration page.

IMG_0044.PNG

For these installations, change the GPS Integrity field to "IFR GPS 1E-7" and the system will change to transmitting SDA=2 and SIL=3. This is the "all green" picture you should expect to see when everything is properly setup.

IMG_0045.PNG

Thanks,
Steve

Will the Glide Range Ring be coming to the G3X classic screens or are you starting to bump up against memory/processor limits?
Bob

Will the Glide Range Ring be coming to the G3X classic screens or are you starting to bump up against memory/processor limits?
Bob

Hello Bob,

No promises, but we are going to work very hard to make this happen and get the Glide Range Ring function added to G3X.

Just to be clear to everyone reading, the G3X V10.00 update already includes ESP-X capability, but does not include the new Glide Range Ring function.

There is also a post above that perhaps suggests that you can't "couple the autopilot to fly to the best airport" with G3X Touch.

You certainly can. Just push Direct-To, activate the Best Glide Airport, and push the NAV autopilot button. Then push the IAS autopilot button and roll the airspeed reference to your Vg bug. Push the AP button to turn over flying to the autopilot if not already, or leave the autopilot off to hand fly with this flight director guidance. That's all there is to that.

----------------------
Update: On April 7, 2015, V10.10 software was released for G3X systems which includes Glide Range Ring support.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Now if they could only couple the autopilot to glide to the best airport...

It sounds like they already have- as they mention, if you put the best airport in your direct-to nav and set the autopilot to hold IAS (glide speed) then you effectively have that

There is also a post above that perhaps suggests that you can't "couple the autopilot to fly to the best airport" with G3X Touch.

You certainly can. Just push Direct-To, activate the Best Glide Airport, and push the NAV autopilot button. Then push the IAS autopilot button and roll the airspeed reference to your Vg bug. Push the AP button to turn over flying to the autopilot if not already, or leave the autopilot off to hand fly with this flight director guidance. That's all there is to that.

Thanks Steve - a suggestion: allow configuring a discrete input to do all this with one external button press.

Had a chance to try out the new features in v3.50 this evening.

Works just like the release notes provided here say it does.

Did a ton of playing around with the airplane just to see how well the ESP-X features work and it is really pretty slick. I may want to tweak my limits a bit but other than that, I can see where this could save lives. Pretty cool to just turn loose of everything and allow the airplane to get out of shape just to see the ESP-X kick in and eventually automatically engage the LVL mode.

If you are gonna leave the ESP-X enabled for landing, make sure you set the min airspeed limit low enough to not engage the ESP-X on your approach. I made this mistake and set mine too high but was able to turn off ESP mode easily on the AFS menu. Above 200ft AGL, it will try and keep the airspeed above that minimum setting.

The glide range ring really worked well. I tested a few glides with the engine at idle. Seems to work as advertised.

I forgot to set my bearing pointer to "Best Airport" so I did not get to try that feature. Thought about that on the way home....

Last edited:
Thanks for the report Brian.

It seems as thought Garmin has created "$100 Ham-fisted" flights! :rolleyes:

I can't wait to go try it myself.

Brian,

Great feedback, and glad to hear you are enjoying this great new feature. We always knew that our smart servo with its brushless motor and electronic slip clutch would be the key building block that would allow us to bring this type of safety feature to the experimental market, so it's been great to finally be able to reveal it. And although ESP is a technology that was pioneered and perfected in our certified systems and on large aircraft like King Airs, we worked hard to come up with a version of ESP that works well in our "sportier" airplanes.

One tip to "help ESP to help you" is to configure the torque limits on your pitch and roll servos up to the highest value where you still feel comfortable overpowering them manually - a process which is described in section 28.4.4.4 of Rev R of the G3X installation manual. This won't change the way the airplane flies when the autopilot is engaged, since our servos will only use the amount of torque required at any given time, but it will help the performance of ESP by giving it some extra "oomph" to nudge the stick in the right direction.

Speaking of overpowering ESP, I wanted to highlight the fact that you can press and hold your AP DISC button to temporarily inhibit ESP any time it is active. Not only does this tell the autopilot servos to give up trying to drive the flight controls, it also interrupts power to the servo's motor entirely. As you saw, when you've told the automatic flight control system to do something you didn't actually want it to do, it's good to have a quick way to tell it to back off! For this reason, we strongly recommend that all airplanes with any kind of autopilot should have an AP DISC button within easy reach, preferably where the pilot can get to it without moving his hand - in other words, right on the stick.

- Matt

Sorry to hijack this thread but a quick question to G3xpert.

I know this has been asked before but I'm not sure I ever saw an answer, are Garmin going to introduce an 8.33 radio interfaced with the G3X for us Europeans.

I am planning avionics at the moment and this could be the decider for me.

Sorry to hijack this thread but a quick question to G3xpert.

I know this has been asked before but I'm not sure I ever saw an answer, are Garmin going to introduce an 8.33 radio interfaced with the G3X for us Europeans.

I am planning avionics at the moment and this could be the decider for me.

Hello Ian - Thanks for the question. The GTR 225 comm radio has 8.33 kHz frequency spacing and integrates with the G3X Touch system, as described in this thread:

New COM Tuning Interfaces

Customers have been asking for it, and we're listening! We?ve always supported the ability to send standby frequencies to panel mount radios like the GTR 225 and GNC 255, as well as supporting complete control of the GTR 20 and GTR 200 comm radios. This software release adds support for complete comm radio control for more Garmin panel mount equipment including the GTN series, GTR 225 and GNC 255. This change will let you tune and flip-flop the active and standby comm frequencies, change the volume, and toggle SQ and MON modes on the above radios, all from your G3X Touch display.

Please note a GTN, GTR 225 or GNC 255 software update will also be required and we anticipate those software updates will be available later this year. Additionally, this interface will require a bi-directional RS-232 interface between the unit being tuned and your G3X Touch display. Wiring and configuration guidance will be documented in the next revision of the G3X installation manual. Or feel free to contact us directly at [email protected] if you need immediate guidance for your installation.

Image8.jpg

By the way... just so you know, we all monitor VAF on a regular basis (we are homebuilders at work, after all!) so if you want to start a new thread to ask an unrelated question we'll certainly see it. Also, feel free to email us any questions you've got using the dedicated email address below.

- Matt

Brian,

Great feedback, and glad to hear you are enjoying this great new feature. We always knew that our smart servo with its brushless motor and electronic slip clutch would be the key building block that would allow us to bring this type of safety feature to the experimental market, so it's been great to finally be able to reveal it. And although ESP is a technology that was pioneered and perfected in our certified systems and on large aircraft like King Airs, we worked hard to come up with a version of ESP that works well in our "sportier" airplanes.

One tip to "help ESP to help you" is to configure the torque limits on your pitch and roll servos up to the highest value where you still feel comfortable overpowering them manually - a process which is described in section 28.4.4.4 of Rev R of the G3X installation manual. This won't change the way the airplane flies when the autopilot is engaged, since our servos will only use the amount of torque required at any given time, but it will help the performance of ESP by giving it some extra "oomph" to nudge the stick in the right direction.

Speaking of overpowering ESP, I wanted to highlight the fact that you can press and hold your AP DISC button to temporarily inhibit ESP any time it is active. Not only does this tell the autopilot servos to give up trying to drive the flight controls, it also interrupts power to the servo's motor entirely. As you saw, when you've told the automatic flight control system to do something you didn't actually want it to do, it's good to have a quick way to tell it to back off! For this reason, we strongly recommend that all airplanes with any kind of autopilot should have an AP DISC button within easy reach, preferably where the pilot can get to it without moving his hand - in other words, right on the stick.

- Matt

Thanks for the additional info on how the AP DISC button works with ESP and the tip on the torque limits. Good to know!

I found this critter in the manual and had to go out and experience it in flight today. Pretty cool augmentation of a great new feature.

24gm1ie.png

Without peaking in the manual, can anyone guess what this thing does?

I found this critter in the manual and had to go out and experience it in flight today. Pretty cool augmentation of a great new feature.

24gm1ie.png

That is a craft beer bottle cap, and it turns Red when an airport with a bar on the premises comes within range!

24gm1ie.png

You won, I had to look at the manual. Very cool!

So, when you actually use this feature, do the "teeth" get bigger or smaller depending how far out of "ideal" you are?

You won, I had to look at the manual. Very cool!

So, when you actually use this feature, do the "teeth" get bigger or smaller depending how far out of "ideal" you are?

Yes,

It is totally dynamic. I was giving my plane a workout making em change size. :p

It looks like the points of the arms are still anchored on what the glide range would be if you were following the ideal parameters. The inner segmented ring shrinks down to your sub-optimal glide range.

Last edited:
Esp-x disable switch

I understand using AP disconnect for temporary cancellation of esp-x.
Looked through revision R and couldn't find a pin out site to be able to turn on/off the esp-x for extended periods of time.

Hopefully, it doesn't require one of my 4 discrete inputs as all 4 are already in use ;)

Thanks,
Tom H

24gm1ie.png

Hi Brantel,

I can't find it in the manual, please help:confused:

Cheers,

Fernando

Back