What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB 14-02-03; RV-3, 4, 6/6A, 7/7A, 8/8A

Lars - thanks for posting. This was a topic a few weeks ago as a few of these where being discovered. Lot's of theories as to why.
I inspected mine then and no issues.

However, now I have another note to make in my log book.

OK. This is 2 of these "check-for-cracks" Service Bulletins within a few days. For someone looking to buy a flying RV right now, this may be a bit disconcerting...

Never mind someone looking at buying an RV... How about those who own them? :)

Maybe we should all just buy new tail kits and be done with it...

I've been looking for this problem since this came up a quite a few months back, have not found any cracked.

Last edited:
Rod bearing jam nuts

I'm disappointed that there is not a special admonition in the bulletin to be sure the jam nuts are tight. If the jam nut is not tight, all the hinge load goes into the little ears on the plate nut, and into the two little rivets that hold the plate nut to the elevator.

Vertical SB??????

By the end of the week ???? Prop wash has always been an issue, with the steps,the old folded rudder,the tail in general takes a heck of a beating,moving the plane around the hanger,where does everybody want to push? I feel bad for the guys with expensive paint.and what paint isn't expensive.The old joke was,you might as well order two tail kits to cover spare parts you'll mess up. Well its time to dust off the spare parts.
RHill

Last edited:
Proactive doubling?

OK guys ... what about us whose HS is in the rafters waiting for the rest of the airplane to catch up? I read with great interest the earlier set of posts about properly torquing the jam nut. Clearly, this is a weak point if not assembled correctly. Any benefit to do the doubling proactively? Easy to do now, given that the Hobbs is at about -2 to -3 years till first flight.

Lars - thanks for posting. This was a topic a few weeks ago as a few of these where being discovered. Lot's of theories as to why.
I inspected mine then and no issues.

However, now I have another note to make in my log book.

I followed the cracking elevator spar thread Jon, so I wasn't entirely surprised to see this. As Walt mentioned in the other thread, my eyes aren't exactly young anymore, so I went over my elevators with a 10X eye loupe, looking for said cracks. Lucky me, found none. Also the jam nuts were, well... jammed. Tight. I give them a cursory look every preflight. Will look again and make the requisite logbook entry. Not that it matters, bum shoulders are going to keep me on the ground for awhile :(

Been there, done that (on the right side anyway)

Spoke to Van's twice when we found the crack in our right elevator a few months ago. Mainly, just to determine how to repair or strengthen it. They were not too concerned as there were only a couple of us who found cracks. Maybe they have had a few more cracks reported.

I was told to just replace the spar and put it back together per the plans. We decided to add a doubler just to get some additional strength/margin.

here is the previous thread for any who missed it.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=104551

OK guys ... what about us whose HS is in the rafters waiting for the rest of the airplane to catch up? I read with great interest the earlier set of posts about properly torquing the jam nut. Clearly, this is a weak point if not assembled correctly. Any benefit to do the doubling proactively? Easy to do now, given that the Hobbs is at about -2 to -3 years till first flight.

Hi Bill,
I would,and will rebuild mine to comply with the SB as if it were an AD, peace of mind,resale,common sense. This was one of the first parts I built,I would like to think I'm better at it now.I don't like adding weight to the wrong end but I can't get out and walk if the tail comes off.
RHill

I find that a deep breath or two is helpful when you're unable to deal with stresses. Try it! Personally, I'm glad to have a kit plane from a conscientious, involved supplier who - despite the ever increasing lawyer landmines - is willing to step up and offer solutions.

I find that a deep breath or two is helpful when you're unable to deal with stresses. Try it! Personally, I'm glad to have a kit plane from a conscientious, involved supplier who - despite the ever increasing lawyer landmines - is willing to step up and offer solutions.

No problem with stress here, just need the plain truth and documentation and facts to back it up. Not much to ask when you blast SB's out over the weekend.

I wonder if perhaps adding a simple flat washer under the jam nut would be a good preventive measure action in this case. There are going to be quite a few elevators coming off to complete the Horiz SB so this may be a good time for this?

I like!

I wonder if perhaps adding a simple flat washer under the jam nut would be a good preventive measure action in this case. There are going to be quite a few elevators coming off to complete the Horiz SB so this may be a good time for this?

Goos idea Walt. This would distribute the load over a larger area of the fitting.

Data point,

Checked mine this morning and no cracks.

RV-7a
73 hrs
IO360 / WW 200RV prop
Paved runways 99% of the time

Log book so noted.

Stay on topic. No flame wars.

[ed. This is a duplicate from the other recent SB thread. Put here by me. dr]

Let?s stay on topic in this thread with the service bulletins at hand.

If conversation starts dissolving into a flame/speculation wars, I?ll ban accounts permanently, regardless of the number of posts or importance you feel you might have here. This online space isn?t for talking heads on TV yelling conspiracy theories; you?re a guest in MY virtual living room.

Van?s, you rock. Thanks for looking over our shoulders here and keeping us informed. It is very much appreciated.

I know it is special that you take the time, and make the effort, to chime into this site and help us out.

Now, back to complying with the service bulletins?
v/r,
dr
PS: No cracks on my HS. Inspecting elevators next.

Good idea Walt. This would distribute the load over a larger area of the fitting.

I like Walt's idea as well. Haven't flown yet, but now thinking about doing this. And not that "bigger-is-better", how about a large diameter washer?
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Sam

That is a good idea!

I was just getting ready to rivet the spar reinforcement plates on my elevators this week. I assume I should wait and install all the doublers right now.

Good assumption?

I was just getting ready to rivet the spar reinforcement plates on my elevators this week. I assume I should wait and install all the doublers right now.

Good assumption?

I would wait. As someone else mentioned earlier... It's not a lot of work at this point and peace of mind/resale will matter later when it is flying.

Does Van's Notify Builders Directly?

In the 6 years :-( I've been building, I have never received a notice of an SB directly from Van's**. I'm pretty sure they have my email address. I always find out about SBs via on online forum/list, or on my own when surfing to the Van's web site.

I was wondering whether they send individual notifications to those who "subscribe" to their SB list (or purchase kits directly from them), or if I just didn't get on their notification list somehow. Does anywhere here receive SB notices directly from Van's?

**Except when a "friend" forged one that essentially said I needed to completely rebuild my fuel tanks, sent to me as a cruel practical joke!

I find this web site very helpful for timely SB notifications. As part of my Condition Inspection sign-off, I do a search for SB's on my avonics, engine, prop, etc. It takes me a day of internet searching, but that is just part of the inspection process.

In the 6 years :-( I've been building, I have never received a notice of an SB directly from Van's**. I'm pretty sure they have my email address. I always find out about SBs via on online forum/list, or on my own when surfing to the Van's web site.

I was wondering whether they send individual notifications to those who "subscribe" to their SB list (or purchase kits directly from them), or if I just didn't get on their notification list somehow. Does anywhere here receive SB notices directly from Van's?

I am pretty sure the factory sends out SB's and other info based on the registered builder number.

I received two SB notifications and parts to do the work for my 10-----tail bulkhead reinforcement and door latch.

Did you buy a project from someone else, and if so, have you registered the change of ownership with Vans??

Gil Alexander mentioned this a couple months ago in the first thread discussing cracks in this location...
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=823616&postcount=244

I think it's a great idea too. The only negative I can think of is all these extra pieces-parts being added to the tailfeathers is adding more weight back there for us poor guys with O-320s and composite props and aft CG concerns.

Last edited:
Did you buy a project from someone else, and if so, have you registered the change of ownership with Vans??

I bought it directly from Van's.

Your receiving automatic notification (and parts!) prompted me to call Van's and ask them about it. Here's what I learned: Owners are notified only of mandatory SBs (SB 07-11-09, for example). These two latest SBs are not mandatory, so no notifications are being sent out to owners. Van's encourages all owners to check their web site periodically, and at each condition inspection, for non-mandatory SBs for which owners were not notified directly.

Shannon, thanks for getting to the bottom of this, and for posting the information. It is good for readers -----myself included------to know.

VAF university at work:D

After 11 years of building I finished my -6A to the point where I could fly it. I still have loads of work to do with regards to fiberglass, interior finishing, etc. I've only been flying a couple of years (when I can), and now it's time to ground it for all these inspections/repairs. Sigh. I do appreciate Van's staying on top of the issues, I just wish I could fly for the same amount of time it took me to build.

Jim Bower
Siberia, Missouri (ok, St. Louis)
RV-6A N143DJ

Inspection complete

Inspected today and found no problems.

RV-4
Serial number 2973
Certified Dec 2001
Hours: 475
Use: First 350 paved runway, no aerobatics.
Last 125 grass runway, aerobatics limited to 4G

Jim
N444JT

The 'other' S.B.?

HI Rodoc,

I think your post here might belong in the thread for the other S.B., the one on the stabilizer spar cracks?

I inspected mine today and was pleasantly surprised that I have no evidence of cracks. I would have thought that I was a prime candidate based on others who have cracks. I have:

RV-6 kit from 1996
No stress relief cutouts
800 hrs including frequent loops, one or two 5g sustained turns, rare snap rolls and spins, and racing at Reno in excess of Vne.

So why don't I have cracks? I have 2 thoughts on that matter.

As I took the fairing off today I noticed all my unused nutplate holes in the skin edge. My fairing fit so poorly that I made my own (partly because my prop spins opposite direction any my rudder incidence is in the opposite direction). anyway, the home make one fits well enough to be held on with only a few screws. There are no attachments in the skin of the h-stab. I wonder if the forces on the fairing could be playing a role in these cracks.

The other main difference for me is my engine and the more frequent but weaker pulses from the engine and prop. Someone already mentioned that this may be a factor.

Inspection party....

RV7 2010 somewhere around 300hrs
~1st 250hrs with a Metal FP Sensenich, ~50 or so with a Metal BAF Hartzell
O-360 Carbed
Very light acro
HS started life as a RV6 and has no notches
No grass time
No Elevator spar cracks

RV7 2007 630hrs
Metal BAF Hartzell
O-360 Carbed
Very light acro
Based on grass
No Elevator spar cracks

RV6A 2008 700hrs
Metal FP Sensenich
O-360 FI
Very light acro
Little to no grass time
No Elevator spar cracks

Last edited:
Elevator Spar cracks

Yesterday I inspected the Doll, and four other RV-8s and found no elevator spar cracks in any of the aircraft.

Inspected the Elevator yesterday, and found no Elevator Spar cracks.

1998 RV-S6
1250 TT
IO-540
80" Hartzell D-Twist first 900 hrs
80" Hartzell BA past 350 hrs
Moderate Acro, Racing, mostly paved runways
No Elevator Spar Cracks

Cheers,
Bob

No cracks

RV-7A
100h
O-360 FI
Metal FP Sensenich
99% paved runways
No acro
Notches
No cracks

I used a dental camera to get good light and good pictures.
(Search "Dental Camera on VAF and E-bay to get some info)

Looked at this when it first arose and now as a SB.

No cracks.

I was surprised then that my jam nuts had loosened up - they're still tight now.

I also like the idea - thanks to the person that came up with it - to add wide washers under the jam nut. I think it makes a lot of sense and I don't really see any downside.

Dan

Last edited:
I would also suggest some loctite on the jam nuts while you're installing the washers (or even if you're not).

No cracks per this SB either

RV-7 Tipper
2006 tail kit
Flying since October 2008
350 hours
Hartzell BA CS prop
95% pavement
occasional gentleman's acro
No cracks
Built the crooked wrench to make sure the jam nuts were still tight back when this first was discussed.

Planning to keep flying and inspecting at each oil change until I'm comfortable with the repair process.

Kit 1150 RV4
Flying since 1989 over 2400 hrs
Hard acro with occasional ACM 4-5 g's
Back country strips, Id,Mt,Or,Wa.
Formation flying

Checked all tail surfaces carefully and did not note cracks in aforementioned areas. Knock on wood it continues that way for another 25 yrs :)

Hans

7A, 360 hrs, no aerobatics, no cracks.
Loose nut was found when this subject came up months ago.

Going to go back and install the washer idea Walt brought up, here at work and wanted to TIG weld fab up a tool for those jam nuts, any one remember what size wrentch they took, been a FEW years. Thanks.

Going to go back and install the washer idea Walt brought up, here at work and wanted to TIG weld fab up a tool for those jam nuts, any one remember what size wrentch they took, been a FEW years. Thanks.

9/16" wrench

FWIW, of the 10 planes inspected on the team, only one had the crack and that was my Super 8. Right outboard. It was found over a year ago during a condition inspection and repaired then.

FWIW, of the 10 planes inspected on the team, only one had the crack and that was my Super 8. Right outboard. It was found over a year ago during a condition inspection and repaired then.

Do you know how many had the earlier 0.016 thin elevator skins vs. the later 0.020 skins?

It has to make a stiffness difference.

Back