What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 with 430W

cduster

Hello folks, I've got a rookie question. I have decided that I would like to remove my vacuum system and old mechanical CDI indicator with a G5. I have an existing 430W that is hooked up to an MGL iEFIS. How would I go about displaying the cdi and gs from the 430W on the G5, preferably without routing everything through a GAD29B? Would one of the RS-232 channels on the iBox be capable of feeding the ARINC data from the 430w over to the RS232 on the G5, or perhaps is there something in the iBox that will function similarly to the GAD29b and convert the ARINC to CAN?

GAD 29

Hello folks, I've got a rookie question. I have decided that I would like to remove my vacuum system and old mechanical CDI indicator with a G5. I have an existing 430W that is hooked up to an MGL iEFIS. How would I go about displaying the cdi and gs from the 430W on the G5, preferably without routing everything through a GAD29B? Would one of the RS-232 channels on the iBox be capable of feeding the ARINC data from the 430w over to the RS232 on the G5, or perhaps is there something in the iBox that will function similarly to the GAD29b and convert the ARINC to CAN?

Good Afternoon,

To interface your GNS 430W to your G5 you will need the GAD 29 ARINC interface. The RS 232 connection between the G5 and the GNS 430W will not provide scaled lateral deviation, or vertical deviation of any kind. Page 7-15 of the G5 Installation Manual provides all of the information you will need to wire and configure the two units. Here is a link to the latest revision of the G5 Manual: G5 Installation Manual

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks for the reply. I sure would have thought that if I could get my trusty old 396 to provide nav data to the G5, the 430W would have been capable as well.

Am I correct in assuming that even if I bit the bullet and switched the MGL unit out for a g3x touch, then it would still require the GAD29B even if using a Garmin autopilot? If the intent was to only go with a Garmin autopilot in the future, is there any advantage in the GAD29B over the GAD29? Thanks again.

Last edited:
GAD 29B

Thanks for the reply. I sure would have thought that if I could get my trusty old 396 to provide nav data to the G5, the 430W would have been capable as well.

Am I correct in assuming that even if I bit the bullet and switched the MGL unit out for a g3x touch, then it would still require the GAD29B even if using a Garmin autopilot? If the intent was to only go with a Garmin autopilot in the future, is there any advantage in the GAD29B over the GAD29? Thanks again.

There is no LPV approach capabilty in the GPSMAP 396. That scaled IFR Navigation information is not transmitted over RS 232, it is transmitted via ARINC 429 only. The GNS 430W will send lateral deviation to the G5 via RS 232, but the RS 232 datapath does not provide the proper scaling information required for IFR Navigation, and there is no Vertical deviation transmitted. The GPSMAP 396 and GNS 430W are two very different units. You would not need a GAD 29B to drive a Garmin Autopilot. The GSA 28 Autopilot servos and GMC 507 Mode Controller all communicate via CAN bus. The GAD 29 will be used for the interface to the navigator only in this example.

Thanks,

Justin

There is no LPV approach capabilty in the GPSMAP 396. That scaled IFR Navigation information is not transmitted over RS 232, it is transmitted via ARINC 429 only. The GNS 430W will send lateral deviation to the G5 via RS 232, but the RS 232 datapath does not provide the proper scaling information required for IFR Navigation, and there is no Vertical deviation transmitted. The GPSMAP 396 and GNS 430W are two very different units. You would not need a GAD 29B to drive a Garmin Autopilot. The GSA 28 Autopilot servos and GMC 507 Mode Controller all communicate via CAN bus. The GAD 29 will be used for the interface to the navigator only in this example.

Thanks,

Justin

Hello Justin,

your reply is strange, why gad29B and not gad29 for a garmin autopilot GMC 507, I have this config and use gad29 and work well, for me gad29b is needed for analog autopilot, no ?

Regards
Eric

GAD 29B

As I understand this comment, you are asking if you were to go with a Garmin autopilot, would you need a GAD 29B. The answer is no. You would only need the GAD 29B version to send analog course and heading information to a 3rd party autopilot. For a Garmin autopilot, you do not need a GAD 29 at all. In that case, you would only need the GAD 29 to interface a Navigator to the CAN bus, which is not required, but since you mention you have a GNS 430W would be desired.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin

As I understand this comment, you are asking if you were to go with a Garmin autopilot, would you need a GAD 29B. The answer is no. You would only need the GAD 29B version to send analog course and heading information to a 3rd party autopilot. For a Garmin autopilot, you do not need a GAD 29 at all. In that case, you would only need the GAD 29 to interface a Navigator to the CAN bus, which is not required, but since you mention you have a GNS 430W would be desired.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin

Wouldn't the GAD 29 be necessary in the sense that in order to fly legal IFR RNAV approaches, the GAD 29 would be the only way to get WAAS certified position data to the G3X, G5, and autopilot? Sorry to be so dense, but learning these avionics can be a lot like attempting to take a sip of water from a fire hose.

GAD 29

Wouldn't the GAD 29 be necessary in the sense that in order to fly legal IFR RNAV approaches, the GAD 29 would be the only way to get WAAS certified position data to the G3X, G5, and autopilot? Sorry to be so dense, but learning these avionics can be a lot like attempting to take a sip of water from a fire hose.

Not a problem, we are happy to help. Yes, that is precisely why you would need the GAD 29. The original question in this thread was can you utilize the approach capability of the GNS 430W and G5 without the GAD 29, and the answer is no, the GAD 29 must be in line between to two. Let us know if you have any other questions. You can also email us at [email protected] with any questions.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Just a G5 question

a little off topic but I'm hoping it's the shortest distance to the guys who know stuff.
I'm thinking if I get a G5, magnetometer and a battery I should be able to get rid of my vacuum system, DG and AI and won't need a whiskey compass. I'll keep my airspeed and alt.
I have an aera 660 as nav/backup instruments and my phone if things get really desperate.
Am I missing anything? Do you guys see any holes in my thought process?
thanks
danny
slooooow build "9"

Well, it looks like the 430W/MGL iEFIS/Garmin G5 combo works great. Yes, we did have to install the GDA29 to make the system work. We also had to split two ARINC 429 "out" pairs from the 430W to the GAD29 and the iEFIS. We also had to use a double pole, double throw switch to select which unit fed info back to the 430w's ARINC 429 "in" pair.

After getting the units configurations set properly, it all started working perfectly. A HUGE thanks goes out to hpmicrowave who is an absolute genius on these things, and who thankfully has this exact same setup in his 8.

Not only does the setup look awesome, now we have no more mechanical gyros, vacuum pumps, suction gauges, vacuum hoses, vacuum regulators, or old school CDIs! :D

Last edited:
Back