What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airports in Tucson

N616LM

We are headed to Tucson on Friday. We will be staying with friends on the Northeast side of Tucson. Tucson RVer's, what airports are available, fuel prices?

Thanks much.

We are visiting relatives on the NE side of Tucson this week. The public airports are on the west side. Yesterday I rented a 172 at KRYN and it was about a 50 minute drive to the airport. There is also Marana but it's a little farther.

Last edited:
You are going...

Marana (KAVQ)is easy in and easy out. SS or FS fuel.

Ryan (KRYN) is towered but is pretty friendly. It's way southwest. Also FS and SS fuel. Is usually a little cheaper than Marana.

Then there's Tucson international. Expensive fuel and tiedowns.

La Cholla Airpark also but it's private. Maybe Gil will chime in on whether or not that's an option.

Then there's Benson (E95) but it's quite a ways east but is a nice little airport.

None of these are great for a Northeast location. I'd probably go to Marana.

To the opposite side of town from La Cholla - it's almost an hour drive from our place...:(

The closest and easiest to get to is Tucson International - they are reasonably friendly there, it's the "ramp fee" for daily use that got everyone upset - but they might waive it if you buy fuel.

Call them and see what their current policy/charges are - Phone 520-573-8128 or 800-758-1874.

The NE side of town is airport-deprived...:)

Cheapest fuel in the area is at Casa Grande CGZ.

If your friends want to drive up this way to pick you up, send me an e-mail.

Marana Regional

As much as I would like to plug my home airport, if TIA is too expensive for you, then I would recommend Marana. Although it is a good distance, there are good roads from the NE side that skirt the foothills east and west. Good little cafe out there too, and if you come in from the north, you will miss the class C/KTUS/DM airspace. Hope this helps. Glenn

NE is my side of town

like everyone said, no close airport. I would consider TIA, it is closest and they are usually cooperative. Ryan in next closest then Marana. I have no experience with Marana, Ryan is fine. It takes me longer to get to TIA from my house NE in Tucson than O'hare airport in Chicago, and I live on the other side of town from it too!

Updating this thread

We will be flying to Tucson Mar. 9 and leaving Mar. 10 or 11. Staying with friends who live near Sabino Natl. Rec. Area, which I believe is NE Tucson. It looks like TIA may be the closest. Any other fields we should consider? How about friendly FBOs and hangar availability?

Jim Berry
RV-10

Last edited:
We will be flying to Tucson Mar. 9 and leaving Mar. 10 or 11. Staying with friends who live near Sabino Natl. Rec. Area, which I believe is NW Tucson. It looks like TIA may be the closest. Any other fields we should consider? How about friendly FBOs and hangar availability?

Jim Berry
RV-10

Jim, do you mean Sabino Canyon in the NE part of Tucson?

If you do mean NW Tucson, Marana NW Regional would be a good choice:

http://www.marana.com/index.aspx?NID=329

Occasionally they have an empty hanger...when I had mine and it was empty, I would let the FBO use it for transit a/c.

Last edited:
We will be flying to Tucson Mar. 9 and leaving Mar. 10 or 11. Staying with friends who live near Sabino Natl. Rec. Area, which I believe is NE Tucson. It looks like TIA may be the closest. Any other fields we should consider? How about friendly FBOs and hangar availability?

Jim Berry
RV-10

Premier Aviation at TUS should be OK as an FBO. You can then take a 5 minute walk to the rental car garage if you want a car (cheaper), or I'm sure they could organize one for you.

There no longer is any tie down or overnight stay at the base of the tower.

Consider Benson

Jim,

See if the drive to Benson (E95) is acceptable. Benson is east on I-10.

Very G.A. friendly FBO and best fuel prices I've seen in Arizona. 100LL was $4.89/gallon last Saturday when I flew in for FREE breakfast served by the FBO. It's a nickle a gallon more on other days of the week but I understand the free breakfast happens every second Saturday of the month.

I don't know anything about the hangar situation but if the drive is acceptable, you could call the FBO.

--
Joe

Distances are distorted in Tucson by mountain ranges...:)

A quick check gives these road distances to the Sabino Canyon Rec. Area.

Tucson Int. - 23 miles
Ryan Field - 29 miles
Marana - 37 miles
Benson - 53 miles

However our private airpark (57AZ) proved to be a bit closer at 20 miles.

Send me an e-mail and come as my guest. We can get a ramp tie down, but a hangar will be hit-n-miss.

Airport Name????

Tucson Natives,

Is there an airport that was named Avery Valley or Avera Valley??? Years ago a friend told me that was RV heaven and the place to stop on way out west. He said there was a large RV colony there and .... well he just said very nice things about it.

Can you help me out here??? I'm unable to find such a name.

Appreciate any info. :D

Marana (KAVQ)

Just answered my own question. I clicked on the site posted by Springer and figured it out. I take it Marana was once called Avra Valley???

Thanks,

Just answered my own question. I clicked on the site posted by Springer and figured it out. I take it Marana was once called Avra Valley???

Thanks,

Marana was called Avra Valley. '87 through the '02 there was quite a bit of RV activity. One guy had a company building them. Bernie Warnke's prop company was based there as well as Patty Wagstaff. Airport activity has slow considerable since those times.

Thanks for that info Jim. ...I had a Bernie Warnke "almost constant speed" that served me well for years. I'm sorry to hear the RV activity has slowed there somewhat. My Buddy really liked it as a destination and raved about the place. This was in the early to mid 1990s. My gosh, I can't get over how time has FLOWN by. ...enjoy while we can...

Cheers,

Looking for a Sign-Off (CFI) at E95 "Benson"

I know this is a long shot... But after searching for Arizons threads, I landed here.

Just purchased my first RV... an RV7A actually located at E95. I am looking for someone who the insurance will approve for our training. They are only requiring 1-hr... but I want more.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David Hyland
F.N.G.

Back