What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fatal RV-6 Accident at CMD

It's listed as a 360...

"While rotating the vacuum drive it was
noted that all six cylinders displayed thumb compression and suction."

Clerical error?

Oh that's so utterly tragic -(
May they both fly with angel wings in brilliant sunshine.

If my understanding of the NTSB Preliminary Report is correct there were no annual condition inspections (or indeed any maintenance whatsoever) recorded in the aircraft log books since the C of A was first issued in August 2014. Amazing. The final report should be most interesting.

Oh God, this makes me sick inside. So very sorry for the loss and prayers to the family. Peaceful rest.

dates

If my understanding of the NTSB Preliminary Report is correct there were no annual condition inspections (or indeed any maintenance whatsoever) recorded in the aircraft log books since the C of A was first issued in August 2014. ....
Very tragic accident, no matter what the cause. The fact that the logbook didn't have entries does not mean that the maintenance didn't get done, or that it had any influence on the accident. Of course I know that you know that.

The part of the report that has me surprised is that the text says temperature was 29?c and in the table it says 11?c. I know Alabama can get hot, but 29?c in Jan is not too common.

Still preliminary

NB report disclaimer:
"This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed."

But it will not change that a dad and his daughter didn't get to go home that day, so sad. :(

Very tragic accident, no matter what the cause. The fact that the logbook didn't have entries does not mean that the maintenance didn't get done, or that it had any influence on the accident. Of course I know that you know that.

The part of the report that has me surprised is that the text says temperature was 29°c and in the table it says 11°c. I know Alabama can get hot, but 29°c in Jan is not too common.

I don't recall the temp on the day of the accident but it was 75*F here on Christmas day, our weather has been erratic this year. From the report and accounts from the locals at the airport it was also a midfield downwind departure. CMD has little in the way of good options beyond the runway for an emergency landing.....a textbook example of an attempt to return to the runway that went tragically wrong.

There are several aspects of the report that are troubling..........

Last edited:
Took a look a Google maps. Intersection departure for 2 gave him around 3,000' of runway with another 3-4,000' of fields off the end of the runway before the trees.

Took a look a Google maps. Intersection departure for 2 gave him around 3,000' of runway with another 3-4,000' of fields off the end of the runway before the trees.

Google doesn't show the elevation changes in the terrain, and how small that area looks from the air. I fly out of CMD frequently, I wouldn't want a loss of power shortly after takeoff....but I hope I would do the right thing. I've thought about that many times while departing CMD.

Back