What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll bar and minimum head clearance

Camillo

Well Known Member
Hallo.
I was wondering what the minimum suggested clearance would be from head and roll bar in case of a flip over.
I have 2-1/2'' on my -4. It seems to me OK and visibility is OK, too. May I reduce safely the gap with a higher seat?
Thanks.
Camillo

Seat belt

I don?t have an answer for you about suggested clearance, but in my opinion, having a crotch strap is much more important than the head clearance. A four point seat will not hold you firmly against the seat in a roll over.

-Andy

Racing roll bars

Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) requires a 2 inch clearance between the top of the helmet and the top of the roll bar for race cars. Remember this is a situation where the driver has a helmet.
I am a firm believer that the more extensive harness systems are more secure. The sub belt, however, is not intended to prevent you from rising off the seat.
https://www.wescoperformance.com/crowsubmarine-expl.html

Last edited:
The sub belt, however, is not intended to prevent you from rising off the seat.

I agree that it is not the primary purpose but it does help a lot.

The belt system performance while flying through moderate to heavy turbulence between crotch belt on (and properly adjusted) and crotch belt off is very noticeable.

Pull 'em tight

Been around here long enough to know NOT to argue with Scott.

Just remember, we build some comfort into the seats in our airplane. That comfort leads to compression of the seat components. You are more safe with the belts properly fastened/adjusted, and TIGHT. So pull them snug just before TO and continue tightening throughout the flight.

Back