What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moab!

petehowell

Well Known Member
If anyone has not made it to Moab to see The Arches and Canyonlands National Parks - put it on your list! Maybe don't come with the 110 deg heat like Andi and I did, but go! This is the most visually stunning place I have ever been and shockingly not crowded at all!

We made the trip in 2 hops - KANE to 7V6(Guernsey, WY) then over to KRWL and on South to Canyonlands - that kept us out the high stuff over CO.

Headwinds the whole way, but still less than 7 hrs in the RV. It was a pretty uneventful trip!

Andi read......
IMG_2617.JPG

Great colors out west.....
IMG_2645.JPG

This is what you get - The Canyonlands...
IMG_2724.JPG

The Windows at Arches.....
IMG_2859.JPG

Delicate Arch....
IMG_2801.JPG

Corona Arch - home of the SWING
IMG_2974.JPG

Sunset Dinner at the rim of Schafer's Canyon - worth every rivet driven!
IMG_2983.JPG

Another view of Schafer's Canyon.....
IMG_3000.JPG

Sun setting on Balanced Rock.....
IMG_0924.JPG

The photos don't come close to doing the place justice - It is mesmerizing......

Last edited:
Glad you had a good trip Pete. It is quite a place. We go hiking - biking there every year and love it more each time.

Been there, done that (well some of it). My company sent me to a convention near SLC, wifey came along. Afterwards we drove to Moab. What a great place, something for everyone. Hiking, biking (pedal or motor), wheeling (2X, 4X, multi X, you name it), rafting, cliff climbing, sight seeing. I am sure I missed half of the activities. Dang, how did you get such better pictures than me?

My input is dated since I haven't been there in a long time

I used to be the fly-in coordinator for "The Flying Club" (formerly the McDonnell Douglas Flying Club) and a fun thing about airplanes and airplane people is finding new places to explore on a two day weekend. I found that southern Utah was a rich source of enjoyable weekend trips with five National Parks and Moab was especially rich with two essentially across the road from each other - Arches and Canyonlands. I was able to rent a 14 passenger van and drive around the river and mountains east of there as well.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Pete,

Thanks for the trip report. Always fascinating to see what you're up to. And yes, my bucket list of must visit places just got longer.

Don

Great Place!

Thanks Pete, your pics are much better than mine.
Moab is a big do again for wife and I when we get our 9a up
and flying. We were there 3 yrs ago in early May. Was not busy
Then and temps were cool. Moab is a nice place, with nice people.
Thanks for the great pics.

Back Home!

Breakfast in Moab - gas at my favorite C-17/C-130/RV-9 base (7V6) in Wyoming - late lunch in Minne. That was with headwinds the whole way! Seriously these little planes are made for travelling.

A few more shots from the trip:

The Monitor and Merrimac at Canyonlands NP
IMG_2696.JPG

Bow Tie Arch - this on BLM land
IMG_2973.JPG

Not Mars - the hike to Corona Arch at 100+deg
IMG_2976.JPG

Landscape Arch - at Arches NP
IMG_2833.JPG

I really can't stress enough how beautiful this place is! I think October might be a better time than June to visit, however!!

I really can't stress enough how beautiful this place is! I think October might be a better time than June to visit, however!!

October is the perfect time. However, this June is setting heat records.

Try Lake Powell and Monument Valley

Pete,

Great shots. We love going to Moab but haven't been there by plane yet.

If you fly out this way again, spend some time at Page, AZ and Lake Powell. Easy airport access and great sights. We went to Lower Antelope Canyon and took some great shots with a little 18meg pixel Nikon point and shoot. Also Monument Valley is near by and Gouldings' Lodge has its own runway (UT25).

Lower Antelope Canyon

Lower Antelope Canyon

Lake Powell

Oooo!

Hey Bud - great shots - We might need to make a return trip!!

Pete,

Great shots. We love going to Moab but haven't been there by plane yet.

If you fly out this way again, spend some time at Page, AZ and Lake Powell. Easy airport access and great sights. We went to Lower Antelope Canyon and took some great shots with a little 18meg pixel Nikon point and shoot. Also Monument Valley is near by and Gouldings' Lodge has its own runway (UT25).

Lower Antelope Canyon

Lower Antelope Canyon

Lake Powell

Moab - Milt's Diner

for great milkshakes, burgers, service!
Plus 1 for all the Utah Nat'l Parks and Lower Antelope Canyon (Lake Powell not far from Page AZ). The latter only takes half a day.

Last edited:
Back